Why is my nexus 5x draining battery so quickly?

A

AC Question

My battery lasts a maximum of around 32 hours when put into flight mode. It's lucky to last 24 hours even if I don't touch the phone all day. Battery stats only show a small percentage being used. I had the same problem with the original battery, bought a new replacement which has not helped at all. What could be causing the battery to drop charge?

dartman180

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
Thanks
Currently on version 7.1.2
Problem has been ongoing for months, through several upgrades. Think the last time I saw normal battery life was while using Marshmallow. Phone has been charged to 100% 24 hours ago, has lost 73% but only stat on battery use is mobile standby at 3%.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That mobile standby - tap the grid to get to the next page, then look at the bottom for the mobile signal. Is it solid green? If not, the weak signal is costing you battery. Even if you're in the same place, the carrier may have moved the pattern on the towers, making the signal weaker where you are. (That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on the signal strength every month or so. If the carrier isn't supplying you with enough signal in the places you normally are, you may need a different carrier. (Saving money, or getting a nice free phone, doesn't end up doing you much good if that carrier is going to cause your battery to drain fast.)

Another thing to remember - as we keep getting newer versions of Android, they keep doing more, costing more battery. 7.1.2 uses a lot more battery than 2.3.3 did.

dartman180

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
That mobile standby - tap the grid to get to the next page, then look at the bottom for the mobile signal. Is it solid green? If not, the weak signal is costing you battery. Even if you're in the same place, the carrier may have moved the pattern on the towers, making the signal weaker where you are. (That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on the signal strength every month or so. If the carrier isn't supplying you with enough signal in the places you normally are, you may need a different carrier. (Saving money, or getting a nice free phone, doesn't end up doing you much good if that carrier is going to cause your battery to drain fast.)

Another thing to remember - as we keep getting newer versions of Android, they keep doing more, costing more battery. 7.1.2 uses a lot more battery than 2.3.3 did.

Sorry that should read phone idle. Had phone on airplane mode at the time. Battery can be fully charged but even if phone is switched off completely the battery still discharges. Had the same issue with both batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thola051ll