Why is Samsung S8 says internet not available even when connected to WiFi?

A

AC Question

I bought an S8 a couple of days and I have been consistently noticing an issue with WiFi. The phone connects to WiFi router ok, works fine for about 5 mins, and then an exclamation mark appears right next to wireless icon in the notification bar and then the phone says 'connected to xxxx wireless network but no internet', however all the other smart devices connected to the router work just fine

Factory reset, router reset, static IP assign...tried all nothing helped. Internet speed clocks consistently at 40 Mb so I have no issues with the actual internet coming into my house, please can you help

shandarby

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
This is also happening to me with my new S8, but more intermittently. Statas changes from 'connected' to 'internet may not be available' seemingly without pattern.

Other devices connect to the network fine.
Disconnect other devices and it makes no difference.
Phone connects to other networks without issues.
Restart router - no fix
Disconnect from network. Connect to other network. Forget all networks. Restart phone - no fix

Very annoying. Would love a fix asap

Saurav Dey2

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I have found a solution to this problem.

1. GO to wifi settings
2. Forget the wifi network
3. CONNECT AGAIN BUT BEFORE CONNECTING GO TO ADVANCED OPTIONS AND CHOOSE STATIC INSTEAD OF AUtOMATIC. Enter in the ip address etc and connect. Problem will be solved.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Entering a static IP address works - until some other device connects and gets that address. then you try to connect the phone and you have two devices trying to use the same address - and it won't work.

Try disabling IPv6 in the router, instead.

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Entering a static IP address works - until some other device connects and gets that address. then you try to connect the phone and you have two devices trying to use the same address - and it won't work.

Try disabling IPv6 in the router, instead.

IPV6 was already disabled on my router and still get the problem. So I don't think that is the fix either.

You could always set the static IP for the MAC address in the router as well, but that seems like a pretty advanced solution for what shouldn't be a problem at all on a phone of this cost.

kg227

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue on my galaxy tab s2, even on the replacement. Due to the being such an intermittent problem, it wouldn't do it when Samsung support checked it out...

This happens on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequency for me. I've tried downloading a wifi fixer, I've reset network settings, and turned off nearby device scanning. I've also tried doing what a forum suggested by changing the ip settings from dhcp to static but it wouldn't connect to wifi at all. Not sure what else to try...

I read that it may be due to nougat 7.0 software. I was suggested by Samsung to first put the tablet on safe mode (this disables third party apps, and would reveil if an app was causing the problem) but the problem still persists. Also did a hard reset on the first tablet I had but it still done the same problem...

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. Seems like when the phone goes to sleep it loses the internet piece of the connection. When you wake the phone up it comes up on 4G if you have Smart Network Switch turned on and then it kicks back over to WiFi. If you have Smart Network Switch turned off for a more stable WiFi, you are just SOL. It is a a FEATURE that Nougat brought with it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
IPV6 was already disabled on my router and still get the problem. So I don't think that is the fix either.

You could always set the static IP for the MAC address in the router as well, but that seems like a pretty advanced solution for what shouldn't be a problem at all on a phone of this cost.
The IP address and the MAC address have nothing to do with one another. Putting the MAC address as the static IP address will guarantee that the phone won't connect to the internet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
See if there's an option in the advanced wifi settings to keep wifi on when asleep. Set it to never turn wifi off - this has been a problem since before Google came out with Android - many wifi adapters will lose the connection if they're turned off, then turned on.

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The IP address and the MAC address have nothing to do with one another. Putting the MAC address as the static IP address will guarantee that the phone won't connect to the internet.

well yes I know that the IP address and MAC address are different things. I was suggesting assigning a given MAC address a static IP rather than dealing with DHCP. I have no earthly idea if this would fix the problem.

FYI, this problem had gone away for me, but reared it's early head again this weekend.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem. Seems like when the phone goes to sleep it loses the internet piece of the connection. When you wake the phone up it comes up on 4G if you have Smart Network Switch turned on and then it kicks back over to WiFi. If you have Smart Network Switch turned off for a more stable WiFi, you are just SOL. It is a a FEATURE that Nougat brought with it.
What does SOL mean? Same thing happens on my Chinese phone. I flip to 4g then back to wifi and it works again.

GatoCat

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is new and you can't get internet, make sure your router allows the device to connect. I got a new S8 and couldn't connect until I remembered that I have the router blocking all new devices and I have to add them manually.

Exclusive28

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
I had this issue in Samsung J7 Prime and here's how I resolved it.
Go to Settings and Application Manager. Make sure "All Apps" are displayed. Locate the Settings app, click it and Force Stop it. It will start automatically again, and WiFi worked for me.
Note that Settings app is system settings app. If you find Clear Data, then that works, too, but for Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, force stopping the Setting app resolves the Internet Not Available issue.

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I had this issue in Samsung J7 Prime and here's how I resolved it.
Go to Settings and Application Manager. Make sure "All Apps" are displayed. Locate the Settings app, click it and Force Stop it. It will start automatically again, and WiFi worked for me.
Note that Settings app is system settings app. If you find Clear Data, then that works, too, but for Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, force stopping the Setting app resolves the Internet Not Available issue.

Is this a permanent fix, don't see why it would work, but i'll try anything as it sgetting on my nerves on S7

BobElderGeek

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
ODDLY ENOUGH Re: Why is Samsung S8 says internet not available even when connected to WiFi?

This issue has occurred on my last 3 Android phones and results in using up all my high speed data. Could it be it's designed to force users into a higher volume data plan? Could it be it's designed to push me into replacing this perfectly operating 3 year of Galaxy S7?

When I assign a (unused) IP address on the wireless LAN I avoid the problem, I just need to change this address for each WLAN to which I attach.

iPhones work fine for as long as they power on. Have fun playing with your phones, I'm out.

Kurama 1

Sep 8, 2018
Visit site
Re: ODDLY ENOUGH Re: Why is Samsung S8 says internet not available even when connected to WiFi?

This issue has occurred on my last 3 Android phones and results in using up all my high speed data. Could it be it's designed to force users into a higher volume data plan? Could it be it's designed to push me into replacing this perfectly operating 3 year of Galaxy S7?

When I assign a (unused) IP address on the wireless LAN I avoid the problem, I just need to change this address for each WLAN to which I attach.

iPhones work fine for as long as they power on. Have fun playing with your phones, I'm out.

Ironically my bf has these issues too and he has an iPhone. Infact when I originally googled this issue, I had to Specifically say it was Android because all I was getting iphone posts that this issue with wifi in general rather specific router. Nice try trying to make then seem better though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on how the phone and the router are set up. Wifi connections aren't as simple as phone calls on old rotary dial phones - you spin the dial and the phone on the other end rings. It's a lot more complex than that. If the router is set up properly, the phone connects, you put in the password, and you'r done - permanently. If not ...

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems is a guide to getting it working, but if nothing in there helps, look on the internet for other guides.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe