Why isn't my unlocked HTC One M8 working on Cricket?

A

AC Question

Unlocked HTC One M8 not working on Cricket

Hi all,

I recently purchased and unlocked a Sprint HTC One M8 from a friend, but am having all kinds of trouble getting it to work with Cricket Wireless. I have an activated SIM and my account is active but I keep on getting an "Invalid SIM Card" error whenever I enter the Cricket SIM. I have talked to Sprint, Cricket and HTC and have even tried a new Cricket SIM and nothing has worked so far. I also attempted to install a Cricket ROM from HTC but the phone rejected the installation. HTC confirmed that the phone is unlocked, and since it doesn't seem to be a SIM card error, I'm not sure where to go from here. I am completely new to Android so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unlocked HTC One M8 not working on Cricket

Welcome to Android Central.

I would talk to Sprint again, to make sure the device is released from them to take to Cricket. I would also double check to make sure that Sprint's One can be used on Cricket's network.

KnightsWhoSayNi

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the quick response!

I will try to contact Sprint again. Last I checked with them they said I should be good to go with the MSL code they gave me but it doesn't hurt to ask them if they see it as unlocked. As for the Cricket SIM I know that M8's can be used with their network, but I don't know if there is a difference with Sprint's, but I can look into it. Is there some way I can essentially install a new ROM/OS that I could make it work with Cricket?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome again to Android Central. I will admit, I have never taken a device from one carrier to another. I am honestly guessing where the problem may be.

As for the ROM...maybe try downloading it again. There may have been an error the first time.

From an AOSP M8

KnightsWhoSayNi

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

So I did talk to Sprint again and this time they informed me that Sprint's HTC One M8 can not be unlocked for Domestic use... Major bummer. Unless there are any suggestions I may just have to attempt a trade in. Thank you for the help!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

So I did talk to Sprint again and this time they informed me that Sprint's HTC One M8 can not be unlocked for Domestic use... Major bummer. Unless there are any suggestions I may just have to attempt a trade in. Thank you for the help!
Sorry about the delay. Not sure what to suggest...the trade in might be a good idea, or try selling it on eBay, and put the cash toward a new phone of your choice.

From an AOSP M8

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Its not working because Cricket is a subsidiary of ATT which is based on a GSM technology and a GSM ROM. Your Sprint M8 is based on CDMA technology and a CDMA ROM. Completely different radios in the unit. Your very lucky you didnt brick the unit trying to put a Cricket ROM in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novatian