Why isn't my Weather Widget changing the location to the current location unless the location is on?

jungledrums

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Weather Widget not changing location to current location unless location is on

I came from the HTC One (M7) where the weather/time widget would update without the "location" being on. It updated with the network. So if I was at home, my weather widget would show info for my current location. If I was at work, I received the weather info for the current location, all without the need to have my location set to on. All this was accomplished through Verizon's network. Now with my LG G3, I can only have updated weather if I manually do it or if I turn the location setting on.

Is there a way to get my LG G3 to update automatically without manually changing it or without turning the location setting on?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Weather Widget not changing location to current location unless location is on

You might be looking at the Location button the wrong way. It's something that changed in KitKat, I think.

Once upon a time, the Location button would mean turning GPS (or high-accuracy mode) on or off. Now, it's the overall location services switch. If you long-press on the button, it should take you to the Location Settings. There you can set if you want location to be set by using WiFi/towers, or if by using GPS. If the location button is off, ALL location services are off, including the weather one.

jungledrums

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Weather Widget not changing location to current location unless location is on

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I've been using the location toggle to switch on/off whenever I need the GPS to get directions while i'm driving. I would keep the location on "off" until I needed it, but are you saying I can keep the location on all the time and just make sure I have the location mode set to "networks only (battery saving)"??

Edit: By the way, i turned the location mode on and set it to "networks only" and it instantly worked like it did on my HTC One.

Thanks for the quick reply and for the info!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

No problemo!

I had the same issue when I switched to KitKat. I was just so used to using that toggle JUST for GPS. I don't like it the way it is now, but I don't like a lot of decisions Google's been taking on Android lately either haha (Hate lockscreen notifications on Lollipop, and that new interruption system...awful. And also the all-white-and-bright Material Design that's terrible for AMOLED display power savings, also not my favorite)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rahul Singha