Why just Verizon

FrankGoldRush

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
If this has been asked in the past I apologize. I was wondering why Pixel only deals with Verizon? As an AT&T subscriber I have to buy an unlocked phone. Will there ever be a chance to see Google work with other networks?

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
What are the advantages of buying a phone where Google has "worked with" the network?

What am I missing as an AT&T customer who bought a phone from Google, or are you just looking for a way to finance the phone?

FrankGoldRush

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
It's mostly about financing. And I know Google offers it, but having been with AT&T for so long, I don't have to go through credit check and pay taxes, etc.

It just seems if Google wants to sell more phones, you'd think it would play ball with all networks and not just the one.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It's mostly about financing. And I know Google offers it, but having been with AT&T for so long, I don't have to go through credit check and pay taxes, etc.

It just seems if Google wants to sell more phones, you'd think it would play ball with all networks and not just the one.

Tell me about the part I emphasized.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
If they were smart they would work with T Mobile. They've been growing at a breakneck pace for the last three years and the big two carriers lose customers to TMO annually.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What are the advantages of buying a phone where Google has "worked with" the network?

What am I missing as an AT&T customer who bought a phone from Google, or are you just looking for a way to finance the phone?
Nothing. Phone works just as well as it should. Just the financing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If this has been asked in the past I apologize. I was wondering why Pixel only deals with Verizon? As an AT&T subscriber I have to buy an unlocked phone. Will there ever be a chance to see Google work with other networks?
I would assume that Google partnered with them and made it exclusive to them in return for Verizon advertising it and placing it in stores.

Just my guess.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel 2 XL and I use it on Project Fi. I could also use it on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc., if I so choose.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The advantage of Project Fi is that it uses the towers of 3 carriers, T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular. My Pixel 2 XL on Fi automatically connects to whichever tower has the best signal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The advantage of Project Fi is that it uses the towers of 3 carriers, T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular. My Pixel 2 XL on Fi automatically connects to whichever tower has the best signal.

I am not sure what that has to do with the topic of the thread which is why is the Pixel 2/2 XL being sold only at Verizon for carriers. The thread isn't about how Fi works.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure what that has to do with the topic of the thread which is why is the Pixel 2/2 XL being sold only at Verizon for carriers. The thread isn't about how Fi works.

Thank you for your comment. You're right, I only typed how Fi worked and not what that had to do with the topic. I was really wanting to say that Verizon is not the only carrier where one can purchase Pixel 2 phones. Google also sells the Pixel on their Project Fi ISP and Pixel phones can also be purchased on Fi using monthly payments. That's what I get for engaging my typing fingers before thinking through what I wanted to say. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your comment. You're right, I only typed how Fi worked and not what that had to do with the topic. I was really wanting to say that Verizon is not the only carrier where one can purchase Pixel 2 phones. Google also sells the Pixel on their Project Fi ISP and Pixel phones can also be purchased on Fi using monthly payments. That's what I get for engaging my typing fingers before thinking through what I wanted to say. :)
He did acknowledge that he already knew about the Google thing .. he said other carriers like his which he mentioned is AT&T. So he already knew ;).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It's the same thing AT&T (or was it Cingular then?) did with the iPhone 4.

Two-year contract only.

I think it's something close to this or at least similar. IMO, Google is playing the long game.

I don't think it's ever been their intention to be a Samsung or Apple type, mainly because they are an advertising company first and foremost. Search is the backbone for them, so there is no real rush to make significant money from hardware.

I feel like we'll see the Pixel brand available on more carriers soon, but it makes sense for them to get the brand recognition and QA nailed down tight before they flood the market with 20,30.. 50 million phones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think they are building a brand and concentrating one carrier to start with who will v commit the brand and push their devices. Unfortunately people still buy based on brand awareness and sometimes what clueless reps push. So it's good for Google to start with one partner who is committed in pushing the Pixel brand and help in sales. Helps to some extent that they are the biggest carrier.
Luckily for people like me who gives a **** about carriers and their phones, Google is at least selling the phone from their Google store. I bet the Pixel 3 or worst case 4 it'll be on all carriers since by then there will be enough Pixel brand awareness and they will be more successful when they go to other carriers.