Why Verizon Won't Announce The Galaxy Nexus

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it is the fact they announced it over a month ago. If it wasn't ready you don't announce it simple as that..

The GSM version was ready. How do you know that CDMA version won't be released the last week of December?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
No that isn't it at all. If they waited until later nov to announce it with a launch a week or two later you would have less pissed off people and less possible returns from people "renting" Sorry you don't understand that. Hype won't last months why do you think the iphone sells so well the first few weeks? because the hype is at its peak.

And sorry that you don't understand that the amount of pissed of people is ridiculously small, and ridiculously unimportant in the grand scheme of things. That's the whole point. Verizon doesn't need to worry about a handful of people because they're such a tiny portion of their customer base as to not even warrant consideration. That's the fact of the matter

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
And sorry that you don't understand that the amount of pissed of people is ridiculously small, and ridiculously unimportant in the grand scheme of things. That's the whole point. Verizon doesn't need to worry about a handful of people because they're such a tiny portion of their customer base as to not even warrant consideration. That's the fact of the matter

Except you fail to take into account the "small" number who are the ones advising people on what phones to get....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The GSM version was ready. How do you know that CDMA version won't be released the last week of December?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GSM version has nothing to do with verizon issuing a press release. If they never would have said anything people would not be as agitated. And what does the end of dec have to do with anything? Still doesn't change you don't announce something 2 months ahead of time.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Except you fail to take into account the "small" number who are the ones advising people on what phones to get....

I don't fail to see that at all, it is still a ridiculously small number. People that take that advise typically only get new phones when they have an upgrade anyway, which makes that group even smaller. Again, you severely overestimate the amount of people that are letting this affect them. Severely.

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

No way. Don't buy that. Even if everyone who was pissed off "advised" 10 people not to get this phone, that still represents 1% of Verizon's customers. Still not enough to make a difference.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No way. Don't buy that. Even if everyone who was pissed off "advised" 10 people not to get this phone, that still represents 1% of Verizon's customers. Still not enough to make a difference.

You underestimate the power of the customer. You have to also take into account once people get a phone and advise their friends, their friends will try and sway their friends towards a certain phone saying how good or bad it is..

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
No, you're just being logical and not emotional about a phone and a business decision, lol. Thank you sir.

Haha thanks, but here comes the contrarian again. It's most definitely not simply a business decision. Phones have become very personal devices.

Unless you were talking about Verizon's decision being pure business... In that case I'm an idiot and disregard my statement. Well, I'm pretty much an idiot anyway, but still....

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You underestimate the power of the customer. You have to also take into account once people get a phone and advise their friends, their friends will try and sway their friends towards a certain phone saying how good or bad it is..

Oh, okay, so I take it that you have such a sour taste in your mouth that you're not going to get the GN, and advise, what, 10 friends against it? Doubtful, and I'm sure Verizon is just shaking in their boots, lmao. Again, you severely overestimate

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Just for comparison, the EVO 3D was released 3 months after it was unveiled, the SGSII 4 months give or take in the US, the incredible 2 was about 2 months, etc. There is nothing odd about this launch at all. Its exactly the same as many other before it

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Haha thanks, but here comes the contrarian again. It's most definitely not simply a business decision. Phones have become very personal devices.

Unless you were talking about Verizon's decision being pure business... In that case I'm an idiot and disregard my statement. Well, I'm pretty much an idiot anyway, but still....

Lol, I am talking about Verizon's decision being business. Everyone is taking this personal like Verizon's trying to screw them or something. Its all business, and its smart business. Nothing at all wrong with what they're doing.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The one a many reasons i want a nexus is due to the fact it has ics. I have a droid x with gingerbread and to me it needs the new os to be a real upgrade leaving this as the only option. I do not want a new phone with the same os as my old unit since it works with gingerbread just fine.

Any top level Android device from the second half of the year that you buy now (Rezound, Bionic, Razr, etc.) will get ICS faily quickly. I would not worry about it.

Now I am not trying to start anything but in short if google does not step up in reducing fragmentation and the vendors just seem to strugle to keep up due to constant upgrades.

Fragmentation, while a legitimate concern, is blown out of proportion by the iTools and the ignorant. There are very few (if any) apps that will run on ICS that wont run on Gingerbread. In fact there are very few apps that wont run on any version of Android 2.1 or later. It's nice to know you have the most recent OS but honestly the only practical reason that this is important is patches to security issues and if you have 2.3.4 or later you have the known security issues plugged.

I really thin google should focus on a new os once a year to help this issue out and release it say evey august so the new phone coming out at the end of the year would have the new os this would have helped the razr and rezound. for those that want the newest they know when to do it and the rest of the market can buy a new phone whenever needed.

They are focusing one one a year. They used to do two major release a year but now do one (with bug patch updates in-between). In an ideal world ICS would have been released in June and other phones gotten it by the holidays and perhaps Google will move to something like that next year but I am guessing they weren't ready. Gingerbread was released last November and Honeycomb in February. ICS is a merger of the two and it took time to get that stable. I would like to see something like Android 4.5 come this summer, so OEM's could get it on their new phones by Christmas BUT phone makers release new phones 4-5x a year and there would still be phones that were released with the old software because it takes months of development and testing to get a phone ready to release.

The platform to watch might be microsoft at the end of next year if they play their hand right it can do very well even though I like google microsoft if they do it right might be the way to go.

Microsoft has nothing on Google. They just don't develop fast enough and last quarter their miniscule percentage of the market actually SHRUNK. It's great to have all of your phones on the same OS but irrelevant if no one is buying them. Google would not be smart to follow their model.

If this bothers you that much, plan on buying new phones in the Spring. That should grantee that you get a new phone with the newest OS on it, but 6 months or so later it will be out of date again.

Unless there is something wrong with your DX sit it out until later this winter or spring when we see the first crop of phones with ICS on them and by then the app developers should have had time to get their apps updated to work on the new OS.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, we agree that Verizon apparently does not give a damn about those of us (and it's way more than a few hundred) waiting for this phone! Where we disagree, and where you would be wrong, is that smart companies communicate with their customers and smart companies don't take their customers for granted. If you don't mind annually handing over thousands of your hard earned dollars to a company that sees communicating with you as a "waste of resources"... by all means, that's your prerogative.

I think it's bad for business and no amount of bantering back and forth with a Verizon fanboy on a public forum is going to change that opinion! Unfortunately, at this time they do offer the best coverage and the fastest network and so I have to put up with being treated like a mushroom... but I don't have to like it!

D.

I think it is that they care MORE about releasing a phone that actually works WELL to the few hundred thousand will buy it than catering to the whims of a handful of impatient individuals. My Verizon and Backup Assistant may not matter much to most of those in this forum but if either did not work it would be pretty major to the bulk of the people who eventually buy this phone.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it is that they care MORE about releasing a phone that actually works WELL to the few hundred thousand will buy it than catering to the whims of a handful of impatient individuals. My Verizon and Backup Assistant may not matter much to most of those in this forum but if either did not work it would be pretty major to the bulk of the people who eventually buy this phone.

Don your flame ant suit. Logic and common sense does not go over well here, lol

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Don your flame ant suit. Logic and common sense does not go over well here, lol

Except verizon releases phones with ton of bugs cough bionic cough thunderbolt etc. Every phone has bugs it seems that verizon tests so much yet still release the phones with bugs that should be removed before launching.

Reactions: FishPharm

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
They're not announcing it because they thought they were ready when they really weren't. That's all there is too it. Verizon, Samsung & Google are all to blame. They have no clue what they are doing.

And respectfully, you have no clue what you are talking about. There is no "blame" here, since no one has done anything wrong, and as far as I have seen Verizon has not told us the phone was ready. They gave us a window when they expected to release the phone, nothing more, and that window still has about 4.5-5 weeks left in it. Google and Samsung have said nothing about the LTE version other than the fact that it exists.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Except verizon releases phones with ton of bugs cough bionic cough thunderbolt etc. Every phone has bugs it seems that verizon tests so much yet still release the phones with bugs that should be removed before launching.

So they should just say the hell with it and release it to appease a handful of whiners and risk alienating the majority of the people that will buy the phone? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Then all the same people crying right now here will come back and cry about how there's bugs, lmao.

You know what, maybe you're right, they should just release it. I enjoy listening to all the irrational whiners having fits, lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So they should just say the hell with it and release it to appease a handful of whiners and risk alienating the majority of the people that will buy the phone? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Then all the same people crying right now here will come back and cry about how there's bugs, lmao.

You know what, maybe you're right, they should just release it. I enjoy listening to all the irrational whiners having fits, lol

because people don't complain about the bugs in other phones that they released with and have to wait months if they even get an update. At least with google the update will come right away look at the gsm version. Sorry nobody is whining it is just funny how you defend vzw when they had no problem in the past releasing buggy ass phones. But I guess they had a rational reason to release those. smh