Wi-fi calling success

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My home is in a terrible coverage area (to the point that Verizon rolled a truck to do a site survey and ended up giving me a network extender for free).

Point is, I've been using the extender for years and while it is far better than the tower service, it does have it's quirks. Calls drop sometimes, and the voice quality is definitely not the same as when on a native tower (lower bandwidth? compression?).

Wifi calling has been a huge improvement! My wife still needs the booster, but if I enable airplane mode and then reenable wifi I can force the G4 off of the booster and onto wifi. It takes a moment to register with VZW (trying a call then results in a "you're in airplane mode" error), but once it does, it is transparent, reliable, and high-quality. You will hear a pre-call tone confirming wifi service (like with the booster, but not the same tone).

Also worth noting (which I did in another thread as well)...when I first got MM, I could not enable wifi calling. After some fruitless conversations with VZW, I found the answer over at XDA. I had debloated the phone long ago and disabled many of the VZW apps. Turns out that Verizon Login is required for wifi calling. As soon as that was reenabled, it activated without issue.

Highly recommended for those of you with extenders or other low-signal issues!

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed a rectangular green wifi call indicator, center top on the connected call screen. Wasn't there during dial/ring, only after connect. Wifi arcs next to a phone icon.

I'd post a screen shot, but Tapatalk crashes when I try (always has...attachment, photo, anything but simple text)

Last edited:

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for posting this; I didn't know this was available. I activated the wi-fi calling feature & tried it several times; works great. Don't need it at home, but will be useful in areas of no cell service but wi-fi is available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlgulliver