Wifi, Battery Life, and Lag Issues since ICS updates

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello
I've had the HTC Rezound for about a month (came from the Droid 2) and really love it, except for the fact that the battery life sux. Everything was working fine but since the OTA ICS update, I've been having a few issues. Been scowering the internet for while and haven't really found a solution and only a handful of other people with the same problems.
First off I did do factory reset after I did the update, and my phone is unrooted.

1. The wifi icon in the notification bar when I'm connected is only showing the small dot and not the whole signal strength and I'll be sitting right next to the router. I'm still able to connect to the internet and everything but the strength won't show on the icon.
2. The little pesky "wifi networks are available" notification keeps popping up every time I turn my screen on even though I have the "notify me" unchecked and "never auto turn off on wi-fi" checked. I also have JD, but turned it off to see if that was the culprit and its not.
3. Also when scrolling through Facebook and Dolphin browser HD, there seems to huge lag and blurriness. I don't know if it's from a bad connection but it never did that before.
4. When making a Skype call, the person on the other end says my screen is tinted green.
5. And know this issue more than likely has to do with Facebook but if anyone knows of a solution or an app to use, it'd be greatly appreciated. But was using the Go SMS messaging app, and now the FB contact photos won't sync, but noticed you have to upgrade and pay for the feature. I said screw that and started to look for other sms apps. I really like Chomp and Pansi but they have the same issues with syncing photos :(
6. Also what is the average battery life for the Rezound? It seems like my Droid 2, even though that battery life wasn't that great, it seems like it was better than the Rezound. I do tend to use my phone a lot and I understand the screen takes up most of the battery. I have the it on the lowest setting possible for the screen, auto-update turned off for apps, 4G/3G turned off when not using it (JD controls that and wifi and only turns on every hour) but when Im on the phone it drains like 1%/minute. Is that normal?

I know I'm asking a lot and I wouldn't have if I could of found the answers out there but I just had to reach out before I head up to Verizon. I know a little something about technology and tried everything I could but nothing has helped

Last edited:

Bsheedy

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same wifi issue. My wifi signal looks fine during the day but sometime during the night it gets turned off and when I turn it back on in the a.m. it just shows the one dot. I haven't found anything under settings to explain it. Makes me wonder if it might be an issue with an app.

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having g this problem but also sorry to hear that you're experiencing it. I tried taking the battery out with the sim card and sd card for a few minutes and it seemed to work for about an hour and then went right back. I hope it's not an issue with an app.

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as the contacts not showing up in sms apps, I remembered why I had Friendcaster app downloaded before. It syncs the pictures right on up. Just sync the fb contacts with friendcaster contacts and the pictures will show right up. Works with go sms and Pansi. Kind of a hassle just for pictures but it works. I have it set for no notifications and just contact sync on friendcaster
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello
I've had the HTC Rezound for about a month (came from the Droid 2) and really love it, except for the fact that the battery life sux. Everything was working fine but since the OTA ICS update, I've been having a few issues. Been scowering the internet for while and haven't really found a solution and only a handful of other people with the same problems.
First off I did do factory reset after I did the update, and my phone is unrooted.

1. The wifi icon in the notification bar when I'm connected is only showing the small dot and not the whole signal strength and I'll be sitting right next to the router. I'm still able to connect to the internet and everything but the strength won't show on the icon.
2. The little pesky "wifi networks are available" notification keeps popping up every time I turn my screen on even though I have the "notify me" unchecked and "never auto turn off on wi-fi" checked. I also have JD, but turned it off to see if that was the culprit and its not.
3. Also when scrolling through Facebook and Dolphin browser HD, there seems to huge lag and blurriness. I don't know if it's from a bad connection but it never did that before.
4. When making a Skype call, the person on the other end says my screen is tinted green.
5. And know this issue more than likely has to do with Facebook but if anyone knows of a solution or an app to use, it'd be greatly appreciated. But was using the Go SMS messaging app, and now the FB contact photos won't sync, but noticed you have to upgrade and pay for the feature. I said screw that and started to look for other sms apps. I really like Chomp and Pansi but they have the same issues with syncing photos :(
6. Also what is the average battery life for the Rezound? It seems like my Droid 2, even though that battery life wasn't that great, it seems like it was better than the Rezound. I do tend to use my phone a lot and I understand the screen takes up most of the battery. I have the it on the lowest setting possible for the screen, auto-update turned off for apps, 4G/3G turned off when not using it (JD controls that and wifi and only turns on every hour) but when Im on the phone it drains like 1%/minute. Is that normal?

I know I'm asking a lot and I wouldn't have if I could of found the answers out there but I just had to reach out before I head up to Verizon. I know a little something about technology and tried everything I could but nothing has helped

1) Never sit right next to a router. Wireless signals are sine waves just like any other signal they have peaks and valleys. you should be 5-6 feet away from a wifi to get a great signal.

2) I would recheck and then uncheck again that shoudn't be happening. I have both unchecked and never get that issue

3) I don't run facebook on my phone so I can't help with this one.

4) I don't Skype so can't help

5)Unknown

6) With facebook on your phone you are going to have HORRIBLE battery life. Facebook sucks battery like no other app does. But to help you we have a few things we can try. Gsam battery monitor. it will break down everything that is happening on your phone and tell you what is eating the battery. From thier we can help understand what we can do.. Buy the extended battery... Get chargers... I have a charger at work at my desk.. One in my car.. a Portable one when at a clients if i need it. and like 3-4 at home.. I'm used to horrible battery life as I came from a Palm Pre.

Last edited:

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my WiFi randomly turns off at any given time even tho I have it set to never turn off while sleep. It's starting to piss me off. I did have the "one dot" issue at first but then it fixed itself and I can see signal strength again.

I see that same blurryness when scrolling down any app (FB, IG, browser..). I don't know if that's just part of the newer Sense or what *shrugs*..

I use Friendcaster as well to sync profile photos with contacts as I've had problems with them syncing ever since I got this phone. I keep getting told it's a Facebook issue..

I haven't Skyped since ICS yet but I think I've read somewhere, I don't know if it was here or not, that it's a common issue since ICS and that something needs an update. Don't quote me on that.

My battery life wasn't great before ICS but now I believe it's gotten worse.

*NOTE* I have not performed a factory reset yet. I think I did one early in the game but I don't remember. I've had the Rezound since the first week it came out. I might do one this week if I ever feel like sitting down, setting up and downloading everything all over again.. Smh..

deep_groove

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I get the blurry Facebook thing, too. Never happened on GB. I was under the assumption that its a visual effect meant to give the impression of loading a page faster. But its just annoying as heck. Haven't noticed if it was an option that can be disabled in FB...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you sitting under a florescent light? That would explain the green on skype. Facebook app sucks, leave all notifications for it off, maybe try the older version. You may not believe me, but juice defender is a waste. Ics has a lot of that stuff built in, and JD is fighting the OS for control, and just wastes battery in the mean time.

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
1) Never sit right next to a router. Wireless signals are sine waves just like any other signal they have peaks and valleys. you should be 5-6 feet away from a wifi to get a great signal.

2) I would recheck and then uncheck again that shoudn't be happening. I have both unchecked and never get that issue

3) I don't run facebook on my phone so I can't help with this one.

4) I don't Skype so can't help

5)Unknown

6) With facebook on your phone you are going to have HORRIBLE battery life. Facebook sucks battery like no other app does. But to help you we have a few things we can try. Gsam battery monitor. it will break down everything that is happening on your phone and tell you what is eating the battery. From thier we can help understand what we can do.. Buy the extended battery... Get chargers... I have a charger at work at my desk.. One in my car.. a Portable one when at a clients if i need it. and like 3-4 at home.. I'm used to horrible battery life as I came from a Palm Pre.

Sorry for the late response. But thank you so much for your input. My Wifi has actually been showing its signal strength over the past couple of days. Guess it's just fixing itself over time. Occasionally the one dot will show up but not constantly.
I checked and unchecked and haven't gotten that annoying Wifi notification since. So thank you
As far as battery. I un installed the latest fb update and logged out. I've stopped using it and my battery has been alot better. I downloaded that gsam app you suggested and fb was def sucking a lot of the battery. I also got rid of juice defender too so I think think that helped too.
But I've got spare chargers and I'm gonna get an extra battery cuz the extended is a little to big for me.
Thank you so much for your help. My phone seems to be acting a lot better :)

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Guys Fackbook 1.9 absolutly sucks on the Rezound.. I mean just horrible.. make sure you are using the 1.84

I get the blurry Facebook thing, too. Never happened on GB. I was under the assumption that its a visual effect meant to give the impression of loading a page faster. But its just annoying as heck. Haven't noticed if it was an option that can be disabled in FB...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I uninstalled the fb update and it's still doing the same thing. I just stopped using it and am using friendcaster. My battery has actually been alot better since I've stopped using the fb app

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that my WiFi randomly turns off at any given time even tho I have it set to never turn off while sleep. It's starting to piss me off. I did have the "one dot" issue at first but then it fixed itself and I can see signal strength again.

I see that same blurryness when scrolling down any app (FB, IG, browser..). I don't know if that's just part of the newer Sense or what *shrugs*..

I use Friendcaster as well to sync profile photos with contacts as I've had problems with them syncing ever since I got this phone. I keep getting told it's a Facebook issue..

I haven't Skyped since ICS yet but I think I've read somewhere, I don't know if it was here or not, that it's a common issue since ICS and that something needs an update. Don't quote me on that.

My battery life wasn't great before ICS but now I believe it's gotten worse.

*NOTE* I have not performed a factory reset yet. I think I did one early in the game but I don't remember. I've had the Rezound since the first week it came out. I might do one this week if I ever feel like sitting down, setting up and downloading everything all over again.. Smh..

Yeah the dot issue was a constant dot. No signal whatsoever but for the past couple of days it's been showing signal strength but occasionally the dot will show up. I think I'm trying unplugging and plugging the router to see if it helps fix it. But luckily the interest connection doesn't get cut off. Just the wacky notification seems to go a little haywire.

Yeah I reinstalled friendcaster for the photos. I forgot that's what I used to use on my DROID 2 to sync up the photos.

I'm sorry to hear about your battery life though. Another person in this thread said the fb sucks alot of the battery. And I ve stopped using it and uninstalled the update and my battery Seems to be a little better. Give it a try.

And I hear you about having to set your phone back up after a factory reset. It's so annoying. But lately hasn't been so bad. I backup everything I can to my sd card, and sync my applications with appbrain, backup up my go launcher settings and go sms texts and factory reset . I then download Appbrain and it downloads all your apps back on to your phone in on shot. Once that's done just restore my go launcher setting and sms and I'm back in business. Only thing I really have to reset up is my widgets and ring tones and notifications. Hope this helps for a your next factory reset.
And thank you for your response :)

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Another thing to check is the channel availability (from your wifi)... if your neighbors are all broadcasting on the same channel, it can slow things down for you. Wifi Analyzer is a free app and displays all the channels around you.

Who knows, you might find out the none of the routers nearby are broadcasting on Channel 11... you can change your router to that channel (process varies by router) and get a "free" boost to your wifi speeds.

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you sitting under a florescent light? That would explain the green on skype. Facebook app sucks, leave all notifications for it off, maybe try the older version. You may not believe me, but juice defender is a waste. Ics has a lot of that stuff built in, and JD is fighting the OS for control, and just wastes battery in the mean time.

I was sitting under a florescent light!! I'll have to try another call under regular or sunlight. Thanx for the suggestion. Hope that's the issue. And yeah I turned off all notifications and actually logged out of it and uninstalled the update. Imma just use Friendcaster. Oh and I did get rid of juice defender. Was so use to using it in my DROID 2. And with those changes my phone battery has been alot better. Actually made it 12 hours with like 15% left. I'll take that over what I was getting before lol so thank you so much for your help :)

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to check is the channel availability (from your wifi)... if your neighbors are all broadcasting on the same channel, it can slow things down for you. Wifi Analyzer is a free app and displays all the channels around you.

Who knows, you might find out the none of the routers nearby are broadcasting on Channel 11... you can change your router to that channel (process varies by router) and get a "free" boost to your wifi speeds.

Oh La La La I will definitely download and check it out. Thank you for the tip :)

hollyk83

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a lot of issues since I did the ICS update Tuesday. My battery life went to crap. I was on the phone w/ HTC yesterday for an hour. She suggested others call to complain so they will release a fix for the poor update. 866-449-8358She said I was doing everything properly for the battery life. I changed nothing but the update and it literally cut the life in half and takes FOREVER to charge.

Is anyone's notifications much smaller at the top of the status bar? I am unable to see them well now that I did the update...and when I type on the keyboard there is a keyboard logo that i hate. Anyone know how to take that down?

I just downloaded friendcaster and it still didn't link my photos to my handcent or regular sms.

Also I cannot find the appbrain in the playstore

Can anyone help?

desmarie750

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a lot of issues since I did the ICS update Tuesday. My battery life went to crap. I was on the phone w/ HTC yesterday for an hour. She suggested others call to complain so they will release a fix for the poor update. 866-449-8358She said I was doing everything properly for the battery life. I changed nothing but the update and it literally cut the life in half and takes FOREVER to charge.

Is anyone's notifications much smaller at the top of the status bar? I am unable to see them well now that I did the update...and when I type on the keyboard there is a keyboard logo that i hate. Anyone know how to take that down?

I just downloaded friendcaster and it still didn't link my photos to my handcent or regular sms.

Also I cannot find the appbrain in the playstore

Can anyone help?

Oh wow sorry to hear about your battery life and charging. That sux. Mine actually seems to charge a little faster.

And yeah the notifications are smaller but I think it's just the new look of ics. Personally I like it. Looks more streamline and simplistic. And as far as the keyboard I believe that's the new way of changing your keyboard input. In gb we use to just long press the text area to get to it but if you notice now we can't. It's conveniently located in the notification bar. At first I thought it was annoying to but find that it's quite convenient. But I don't think we can take it down.

As far as friendcaster, make sure your contacts are linked up together with your phone contacts. And then make sure the picture you're selecting is the friendcaster one. I have noticed recently that it sometimes reverts back to my Google contact pictures. I dunno what's up with that. So I downloaded syncmypix and it fixed it. Make sure to check "override read only" in the settings. I wish fb and Google would just get along cuz Al these alternative methods just to get fb pictures to sync is a pain. But someone else had suggested Facebook contact sync app too.

And it's called appbrain app market. It should be there but here's the link for it.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....appspot.swisscodemonkeys.apps&token=5LPfMRbI

pwisnom

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had many of the same issues after the update. I dud a factory reset and all of these issues have been resolved.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
i have the one dot wifi issue also. if you turn off the screen and turn it back on, it returns to normal. atleast it does for me. im still on the .10 leak, gonna update to .12 today or tomorrow finally.

mjoforiam1

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You probably know this, but if you turn your mobile network off under quick settings you will save a ton on your battery and as long as your connected to WiFi you can still get data. If you don't have WiFi you can still get text and phone calls, just not regular data. I do this when I know I will be without a charging device and it normally helps me get through. I wish manufacturers would invest a little more in battery life issues, I would pay an extra $50 per phone to get that solved!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86