Wifi calling

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My v30 arrived with wifi calling enabled. I thought this was a good thing. But the first time I received a call, you couldn't hear the conversation between us at all. I finally disabled it and my calls went over clear as a bell. I'm wondering why this was, and is it normal for this to happen? I've never used wifi calling before. I was connected to my xfinity home wifi. Although xfinity does suck at times, shouldn't my calls have been clear?

jasqid

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
If your wifi sucks, no. The call will only be as good as the quality of the connection.

I only use wifi calling when I have crap or no cell service and I can access a wifi spot.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have Xfininty also and the quality of my wifi calls is fine, however, I am NOT using the Comcast gateway as my wifi router.

I have found the wifi distance (how far away from the gateway you can get and how fast the signal degrades as you move away from it) is not very good. For example, I have a PC in the basement and my Xfinity gateway is on the first floor, not an ideal setup for any router/gateway. With the Xfinity gateway I get 2 bars of flaky signal in my basement. With my Linksys WRT1900AC I get 5 bars of solid wifi.

If you are using Comcast's stock gear, you may want to consider a wifi router upgrade.

Also, are you having any other wifi issues? If you are, you may want to have Comcast come out and look at your network. I recently had a signal amplifier / splitter fail and as it was failing, it brought my whole network "down to it's knees."

One other thing to try is rebooting your wifi network. Power cycle the gateway and see if that helps.

Hope this helps!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are sites at which you can test the voice quality of an internet connection (they';re meant for VoIP, but they'll give you a good idea of how Wifi calling will work. Try https://www.digium.com/products/business-phone-systems/hosted-pbx/network-test or https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/ and pay attention to the Jitter value. Anything over 10 is going to start causing you quality problems. (A wifi signal bouncing odd a lot of things, arriving at your phone more than once, increases the phase jitter, making the connection worse.)

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have Xfininty also and the quality of my wifi calls is fine, however, I am NOT using the Comcast gateway as my wifi router.

I have found the wifi distance (how far away from the gateway you can get and how fast the signal degrades as you move away from it) is not very good. For example, I have a PC in the basement and my Xfinity gateway is on the first floor, not an ideal setup for any router/gateway. With the Xfinity gateway I get 2 bars of flaky signal in my basement. With my Linksys WRT1900AC I get 5 bars of solid wifi.

If you are using Comcast's stock gear, you may want to consider a wifi router upgrade.

Also, are you having any other wifi issues? If you are, you may want to have Comcast come out and look at your network. I recently had a signal amplifier / splitter fail and as it was failing, it brought my whole network "down to it's knees."

One other thing to try is rebooting your wifi network. Power cycle the gateway and see if that helps.

Hope this helps!

.my wifi does drop for 5-10 seconds at a time multiple times a day. Comcast ran a new conduit and line(I have underground utilities), this past spring. I'll give the linskys a try. If that doesn't help, a call will be in order.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
.my wifi does drop for 5-10 seconds at a time multiple times a day. Comcast ran a new conduit and line(I have underground utilities), this past spring. I'll give the linskys a try. If that doesn't help, a call will be in order.

If you have a signal splitter / amplifier in your network, I'd have them look at it or have Comcast trade it out. The dropping of the signal symptom you described is what happened to me when my signal splitter / amplifier started to fail. When it finally, totally died it took out everything except my phone.....internet, TV and alarm system, all off line.

BTW, another symptom was lagging of my cable TV; slow menu scrolls, longer to change channels, more buffering on NetFlixs. If you have any of these issues call sooner versus waiting for the end.

If you decide to look at Linksys routers, I recommend the AC3200, it's the newer version of the router I mentioned and it has technology that better handles wifi traffic from multiple devices. I think Santa is bringing me one for Christmas! WINK!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you have a signal splitter / amplifier in your network, I'd have them look at it or have Comcast trade it out. The dropping of the signal symptom you described is what happened to me when my signal splitter / amplifier started to fail. When it finally, totally died it took out everything except my phone.....internet, TV and alarm system, all off line.

BTW, another symptom was lagging of my cable TV; slow menu scrolls, longer to change channels, more buffering on NetFlixs. If you have any of these issues call sooner versus waiting for the end.

If you decide to look at Linksys routers, I recommend the AC3200, it's the newer version of the router I mentioned and it has technology that better handles wifi traffic from multiple devices. I think Santa is bringing me one for Christmas! WINK!

Ok, but there are 3 models of the 3200 ranging in price from 99.00-299.00. What's the difference?

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok, but there are 3 models of the 3200 ranging in price from 99.00-299.00. What's the difference?

It all depends on the features & what best fits your needs & budget. The $99 version is more than enough for the average user. The top model & the midrange version both have has a couple more features like dual band broadcasting on two different frequencies namely 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. You could set up the 2.4 GHz network for the older legacy equipment under say Wireless-G or even N & then have the newer equipement use the 5 GHz network under Wireless-AC. The idea is to avoid oversaturation of devices under 2.4 GHz & move devices that need more bandwidth to the 5 GHz network. The 2.4 GHz is usually cluttered/congested with devices such as cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors and a bunch of other wireless devices that would interfere with the 2.4 GHz WiFi networks.

The other key feature (only on the top model) is the Killer Prioritization Engine which would automatically identifiy gaming data packets and prioritizes them over other devices to give games low latencies or reduce the lag. It mostly benefits devices with Killer Networking components so your typical consoles wouldn't benefit much from this feature.

The $99 Linksys AC3200 TriBand Smart WiFi Router would be a great choice, but the midrange $199 (Linksys WRT3200ACM Mu-MIMO Gigabit WiFi Router) is a much better choice/value since it includes the Dual Band & also the MU-MIMO technology which decreases the time each device has to wait for a signal and dramatically speeds up your network.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You have all been a big help. I'm going to start by resetting my xfinity modem. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll move on from there. Thanks again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robot sirkit