WIFI Speed?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have 200meg internet at home and on my Mac Book Pro, I exceed that speed. When I test my my Note 9, I don't break 100 meg. Is there a setting I need to check? Is there something I'm missing?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have 200meg internet at home and on my Mac Book Pro, I exceed that speed. When I test my my Note 9, I don't break 100 meg. Is there a setting I need to check? Is there something I'm missing?
It seems you have connected to 2.4GHz. You will need to connect to 5GHz radio. There are a couple of ways to encourage this. Band steering and power level settings at your access point (recommended method - if configurable), separate SSID's, or disabling 2.4GHz radio (not recommended). 2.4GHz typically travels further, and gives a stronger signal - especially through walls - so your Note 9 is probably choosing that over the weaker 5GHz signal. I added access points in my house, and played with power levels and band steering in order to strongly encourage 5GHz connections. This is the generally the "recommended" method for addressing this common issue. My Note 9 usually hovers around 300 up and down give or take.
Screenshot_20180925-060301_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:

Palladium65

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It seems you have connected to 2.4GHz. You will need to connect to 5GHz radio. There are a couple of ways to encourage this. Band steering and power level settings at your access point (recommended method - if configurable), separate SSID's, or disabling 2.4GHz radio (not recommended). 2.4GHz typically travels further, and gives a stronger signal - especially though walls - so your Note 9 is probably choosing that over the weaker 5GHz signal. I added access points in my house, and played with power levers and band steering in order to strongly encourage 5GHz connections. This is the generally the "recommended" method for addressing this common issue. My Note 9 usually hovers around 300 up and down giver or take.
View attachment 291070
How I wish I had these internet speeds in South Africa

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So... I am using the same Ookla Speed Test for both computer and Note. I am using the 5G connection, as I always do at home. It did jump up to 145 meg today......