Will the Samsung Tab S 8.4 (sm-t705) version work 4g LTE T mobile?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am/was getting ready to purchase and Unlocked Samsung Tab S 8.4 (sm-t705), and the
T Mobile rep told me that if I purchased a sim, that model will work on Tmobile networks with 4g LTE. I am in the USA....

But, all the feedback I read, said it doesn't work with Tmobile 4G LTE, but it will work with Tmobile H something which they say is fast.

Anybody got a real answer on that?

Thanks in advance,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That tablet's LTE bands don't match T-Mobile's, so it won't get 4G LTE. T-Mobile uses the 700, 1700, and 1900 GHz bands for LTE, which that tablet doesn't support. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE SM-T705 - Full tablet specifications - GSMArc.com

However, it will support HSPA+ (which is technically 3G, but is often fast enough that it's sort of a "pseudo-4G"). In my area of the Silicon Valley, HSPA+ usually gives me download speeds of around 10-15 Mbps.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
That tablet's LTE bands don't match T-Mobile's, so it won't get 4G LTE. T-Mobile uses the 700, 1700, and 1900 GHz bands for LTE, which that tablet doesn't support. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE SM-T705 - Full tablet specifications - GSMArc.com

However, it will support HSPA+ (which is technically 3G, but is often fast enough that it's sort of a "pseudo-4G"). In my area of the Silicon Valley, HSPA+ usually gives me download speeds of around 10-15 Mbps.

Thanks for that quick replay. Also, that what I have been reading from feedbacks. Tmobile rep told me it would support their 4g with the SMT705 version. I think I am just going to get the Wi-Fi version..

Thanks again for the feedback,

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
They might have been referring to their HSPA+ "pseudo 4G," rather than 4G LTE. You have to ask them to be specific.

That is what they were referring too. It was funny that Tmobile and even Verizon carry the 10.5 version, neither carry the 8.4 version. To me, that is messed up. I had a 10 inch tab before, and found out not very comfortable with the large screen whipping it out. However, the 8.4 size is ideal. Why the companies abandon the 8.4 size, I will never know.

I went an got the wi-fi Tab S 8.4 32gb for $350 at Bestbuy.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Purchased the ATT Galaxy Tab 8.4 S and wanted to use my T-Mobile Sim. Bought from Best Buy for $399 and asked ATT to unlock unit. While waiting the required couple of days for the unlock, I found my tablet would NEVER receive and update (e.g. to Lollipop) unless it had an active ATT Sim card. So I returned it and got the wifi only model with a TMobile hot spot device.

The bad part is carrying an extra device around.

The good part is that it will receive future updates faster than one tied to a specific carrier.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I found my tablet would NEVER receive and update (e.g. to Lollipop) unless it had an active ATT Sim card.

In these situations, you could try bringing it to a Best Buy and ask the Samsung Store rep to flash the update.

bakili

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I know it's been few months, just wanted to update with my experience. I had my Samsung Galaxy SM-T705 for a year now. I bought it in Europe and it has been updated to Lollipop only few weeks ago. Came back to States few days ago and tried to use friend's AT&T sim to make it work but the big blue was restrictive as usual. Couldn't register it on network whatsoever. So I went to T-Mobile, who's customer I've been for a decade before leaving the US for couple of years. My Tab S registered right away and as mentioned previously in this thread is getting 10-15 MB down in Bay Area, which I'm satisfied with. I got the top $80 plan to have the most data I can in States and super happy to use this baby as a phone as well. Lollipop did improve the battery life, which makes me a happy camper with this though imperfect but still gorgeous tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagilow