Will Unlocked Pixels Support HD Voice and WiFi Calling on Verizon?

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
After hearing from others here that the Verizon Pixel will have VZW hooks, I am wondering if only those Pixels will have WiFi Calling and HD Voice supported.

Context:. Bought an unlocked S7 Edge, and could not get HD Voice or WiFi calling enabled on ATT.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow that would suck. No he voice means no volte which means no simultaneous voice and data

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I keep seeing this answer, but I don't believe it is correct. Verizon's history indicates that they will block Wifi calling and VOLTE on unlocked phones not purchased from them. I believe the verizon version will have is own firmware

FaTROBoT97

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I ordered the Verizon variant mostly for this reason alone. I had a Nexus 6P and it was a great phone but without Visual Voicemail and other Verizon specific features it just wasn't completing the experience for me. I know there both identical but we do not know until we see a Google Play Version vs Verizon Variant side by side.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing this answer, but I don't believe it is correct. Verizon's history indicates that they will block Wifi calling and VOLTE on unlocked phones not purchased from them. I believe the verizon version will have is own firmware

VoLTE is enabled on the unlocked Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
VoLTE is enabled on the unlocked Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P.

But if I'm not mistaken, WiFi calling is not, and the OP asked about both. So a simple "Yes" is a misleading answer unless someone knows FOR SURE that verizon will allow both features to be available on unlocked versions

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
As I posted in a similar thread, HD Voice on my unlocked 6P worked fine with VZW. When I tried it with ATT, neither HD Voice or WiFi Calling was available. Both features are important to me, but of the two, HD Voice more so.

Confirms what others are saying to buy unlocked from the Google Store and use it with VZW. Should get half of the Enhanced 4G LTE Services. With ATT, expect Nada.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I am more concerned about the direct from Google OS updates, but am hoping that they can get the other two things working. Hopefully Google will add some pressure for Verizon to support those features on the unlocked devices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks like HD / WiFi calling will be available only via the VZW model. For some reason VZW doesn't want to play ball :(.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like HD / WiFi calling will be available only via the VZW model. For some reason VZW doesn't want to play ball :(.

I don't really blame Verizon cuz They are just doing the same old crap. Wonder why Google chose to work with the red devil again after all the issues with the Verizon gnex

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But it defeats one Of the main reasons to get a Google phone - direct updates from Google
As well as it being highly unlikely (read "impossible") to get on the Android beta program with a Verizon pixel. Another nice advantage of being a Google phone user.

Idk. It's true it's hard to say for sure until the phones are released. But im seriously hoping they worked out something with Verizon to make the process easier than the Verizon gnex.

Verizon sold the Nexus 6, what was the deal with updates from that phone???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac