With no LED, any way to have persistent notifications?

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
My S7 Edge had an LED that blinked persistently, so that I could see the notification at all times. With newer phones like my S10 that has no LED, is there a way to get that feature back? An audio chime or vibration only comes on for a few seconds and I could easily miss it, especially if I'm not near the phone. But with an LED that keeps on blinking until I actually receive the message, I don't easily miss a notification. I thought the edge light on the S10 was supposed to do that (i.e. with persistent lighting), but it has never worked once for me. I have apps for Yahoo mail, Gmail, Outlook, and K-9 Mail, and have turned on notifications inside and outside the apps. But when an email comes, I get only one- to two-second audio chime and/or vibration, which I almost always miss (and sometimes some apps don't even send notifications, which is another issue). And even if I don't miss it, I may be too busy to use the phone at the time and have to wait till I'm free, and by that time I have forgotten. That's why I relied on the LED a lot. I know many phones today don't have LED, so I'm curious to know how other users deal with these situations.

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Those apps require "always on display," and when the screen is on, I see notifications already. Also, the notifications sometimes show content, which compromises some privacy if my screen is always on and everybody around sees it when I'm not near the phone. I really need the old way: phone asleep with black screen that shows LED only when a notification comes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Those apps require "always on display," and when the screen is on, I see notifications already. Also, the notifications sometimes show content, which compromises some privacy if my screen is always on and everybody around sees it when I'm not near the phone. I really need the old way: phone asleep with black screen that shows LED only when a notification comes.
Check in accessibility settings under advance for screen flash notifications Screenshot_20200830-172939_Accessibility.jpeg

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
@B.Diddy @mustang7757
There is no way to adjust brightness for those features (nor for the area of the screen flashes). Either one would wake me up at night, not to mention waste battery. These just aren't common sense designs, and neither works as well as an LED.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757
There is no way to adjust brightness for those features (nor for the area of the screen flashes). Either one would wake me up at night, not to mention waste battery. These just aren't common sense designs, and neither works as well as an LED.
Yeah the led notifications was great , but these are the other options that are available , sorry:(

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
If there is a way to have the audio chimes and/or vibrations recur at a specified time interval, that would be a nice workaround. But this would most likely still wake me up at night.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If there is a way to have the audio chimes and/or vibrations recur at a specified time interval, that would be a nice workaround. But this would most likely still wake me up at night.
Might look into bixby routines

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I got LED Me Know to be somewhat working for me. There is a well-hidden clock style that doesn't show notification icons or content. So using that and LED Me Know gives me exactly what I want: only a blinking LED when a notification comes. But one caveat is that it doesn't work with WeChat. I see WeChat's own notification icon, but not the LED light from LED Me Know. I just contacted the developer and hope to have a solution. And I hope it doesn't have a (long) list of apps it doesn't work with.

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
In the dark? Doesn't your phone make sounds?

As I already mentioned, audio notifications only occur for a few seconds, which I could easily miss if I'm not near the phone. I need *persistent* notifications such as the LED in my old S7.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As I already mentioned, audio notifications only occur for a few seconds, which I could easily miss if I'm not near the phone. I need *persistent* notifications such as the LED in my old S7.
One more thing in accessibility settings
Notifications reminder can set Screenshot_20200830-201030_Accessibility.jpeg

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
One more thing in accessibility settings
Notifications reminder can set

The 3-minute minimum internal is just not short enough. I really need to be notified "persistently," as in every second. Even the 2-second default in LED Me Know wasn't good enough for me. I had to change it to 1 sec.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If this is that important to you then you need to go back to your previous phone or another current one with led. LG makes phones with them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The 3-minute minimum internal is just not short enough. I really need to be notified "persistently," as in every second. Even the 2-second default in LED Me Know wasn't good enough for me. I had to change it to 1 sec.
Your situation is rare , you need something custom, outside what they offer stock .

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
If this is that important to you then you need to go back to your previous phone or another current one with led. LG makes phones with them.

Some of the latest LG models don't have LED, just like the latest Samsung phones. The industry is simply abandoning it. You have to buy an older model to have LED, but you get fewer security updates out of it (or none, if the phone is no longer supported). And I've read that LG's security updates cover a shorter period than Samsung (I believe 2 years vs. 3 years). iPhone gives you 6 years (?) of updates but sadly it never has LED. I like LED, but I want security more.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Some of the latest LG models don't have LED, just like the latest Samsung phones. The industry is simply abandoning it. You have to buy an older model to have LED, but you get fewer security updates out of it (or none, if the phone is no longer supported). And I've read that LG's security updates cover a shorter period than Samsung (I believe 2 years vs. 3 years). iPhone gives you 6 years (?) of updates but sadly it never has LED. I like LED, but I want security more.
I'm not sure what to say other than you need to decide what is most important to you and then live with the rest.