Would you buy a T-bolt today?

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I had a BB 9930 but for some reason it kept asking me to validate my email accounts. I didn't think much of it the first time but when it started asking me to validate my email accounts every other day or so (sometimes twice a day), I started getting annoyed. Did some troubleshooting with vz tech support and finally security wiped my 9930 only to not be able to set anything up (no BES, BIS, not even the browser icon). He told me to take it back and swap for another.

So here I am with my new 'Bolt :) and LOVING 4G!!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the Tbolt and now carry a Charge and it's doing what I need it to, which is secure my unlimited LTE data plan. As for you, I would not touch a Tbolt with a 10ft pole at this point unless the word FREE is your main concern. Now if having a device that won't tick you off every other day, sounds more reasonable, I'd wait for the HTC Vigor, Droid Prime or maybe the Bionic. I'm going to check out the Bionic in two days, but we are too close to seeing some really great phones. You're already past the end date of the unlimited data so you have nothing to rush for. If you don't mind the price tag, I'd practice a little patience and wait for one of these new dual core, 1.2-1.5Mhz, 1gb RAM devices. Should get interesting soon!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i bought the bolt before i it was known that you could keep the unlimited date on 4 g . i really like the sense ui but the signal is crappy compared to my droid x and the 3g dropping is rediculas not to mention all the other issues that the updates fixed . i will miss the sense ui but thats it . i will be so happy to be back on a motorola device its not even funny . i travel to alot of fringe areas and the difference in signal between my droid x personal phone and my tbolt business phone is very noticable . until htc can improve there signal issues i would stay away .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the Tbolt and now carry a Charge and it's doing what I need it to, which is secure my unlimited LTE data plan. As for you, I would not touch a Tbolt with a 10ft pole at this point unless the word FREE is your main concern. Now if having a device that won't tick you off every other day, sounds more reasonable, I'd wait for the HTC Vigor, Droid Prime or maybe the Bionic. I'm going to check out the Bionic in two days, but we are too close to seeing some really great phones. You're already past the end date of the unlimited data so you have nothing to rush for. If you don't mind the price tag, I'd practice a little patience and wait for one of these new dual core, 1.2-1.5Mhz, 1gb RAM devices. Should get interesting soon!

Isn't everyone who already has unlimited data grandfathered in to unlimited data as long as their 2 year purgatory is up?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...wait for one of these new dual core, 1.2-1.5Mhz, 1gb RAM devices. Should get interesting soon!
Performance is not the differentiator anymore on these new smartphones (including the ThunderBolt - which is very fast). They are all fast. Network Data is the issue. Along with personal preferences between Moto Blur, HTC Sense, and Samsung whatever. The days when "benchmark performance" really mattered are gone. It's become too close to call for practical purposes. It's all about which one can most successfully utilize VZW's LTE network.

-Frank

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Performance is not the differentiator anymore on these new smartphones (including the ThunderBolt - which is very fast). They are all fast. Network Data is the issue. Along with personal preferences between Moto Blur, HTC Sense, and Samsung whatever. The days when "benchmark performance" really mattered are gone. It's become too close to call for practical purposes. It's all about which one can most successfully utilize VZW's LTE network.

-Frank

+1. Right now "Dual-Core" is only marketing hype. Tergra2 and OMAP 4430 aren't really faster than the MSM8655 in Thunderbolt. Part of it is OS and Apps aren't currently capable of using the extra core.

miamcm

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I got my Thunderbolt 5 days ago...came from a Droid X. It was used but in great shape. The person that had it went to AT&T for an iPhone....LOVE the Thunderbolt so far! Thinking of getting the extended battery... :D

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I got my Thunderbolt 5 days ago...came from a Droid X. It was used but in great shape. The person that had it went to AT&T for an iPhone....LOVE the Thunderbolt so far! Thinking of getting the extended battery... :D

Strange that someone would go to AT&T for an iphone now that Verizon has it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my Thunderbolt on Tuesday (company issue - it was that or the Inspire from AT&T, or a Droid Pro or HTC Status, or an iPhone). Loving the phone!

So far, my only real gripe (and it's a significant gripe) is battery life. I've turned off 4G and still I'm having to charge it during the day every day at least once. I really don't miss my Blackberry 9300, except for battery life.

I don't entirely blame the phone. Cell signal is dismal at my desk, the battery hasn't been charged and discharged enough to really calibrate properly, I have trouble setting the new fondleslab down, and I'm using apps like Sensorly that really chow down on go-juice. I'm sure that will a little better over time. We'll see this weekend - when I should have solid signal most of the time.

Really most of my battery life woes are my fault, the screen routinely uses 80+ percent unless I'm using Sensorly for extended periods (and that's what my car charger is for).

I'm holding off on a case until I see if I'll need an extended battery to survive with this thing. I hate carrying it around "naked", though, so I may have to buy a case that supports an extended battery and just fill the void with something for now.

Strange that someone would go to AT&T for an iphone now that Verizon has it.

If I was to be offered my choice of AT&T or Verizon iPhones, I'd personally choose AT&T (coverage in my intended area of use being equal). AT&T's 3G allows simultaneous voice and data. But I rarely make phone calls, so the concept of an occasional dropped call doesn't scare me all that much. I'd rather be able to surf the web or send and receive email or instant messages while I'm on the phone with someone.

In fact, I was about to choose the AT&T Inspire over the Thunderbolt, then I learned that the Thunderbolt can do simultaneous voice and data over Verizon's 3G network.

All that and a front-facing camera that I might be able to start using THIS MONTH on Google Talk. :)

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
HTC Thunderbolt is a great device if you get one without bugs but honestly Lg Revolution, Samsung Droid Charge, and Motorola Droid Bionic. They do processing, LTE, and battery life better. Not to mention that the Bionic has dual core 1 gigahertz Texas instrument OMAP processors. With the dual cores the phone should be more efficient with running task and managing ram and memory.

The only processors that are theoretically better than the OMAP processors are the Exynos processors in the Galaxy S2.

SteveB2

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Update.

I got my T-Bolt yesterday......I really like it. I'll be tweaking it over time, but so far it's on par with my X which was rooted and running LP. It's my first HTC phone and I like the design and the feel of it. Sense is taking a little getting use to, but better than blur in my opinion. Hopefully any problems will show up early.(fingers crossed)

Thanks to everyone for the input!

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I will Never go Back to the htc thunderbolt horrible battery life. I picked up the Motorola Droid Bionic yesterday and in my opinion it is a way better on the first full charge i got 7.5 hours and I expect it only to get better with a couple more full cycles and plus I was on it for most of the 7.5 hours getting it setup the way I like it and seeing what it could do. The thunderbolt was dead with in the first 3-4 hours and really did not improve much after that. Plus the Bionic was faster and more responsive. That is my two cents take it or leave it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded this past week from the Incredible to the Thunderbolt. I have NO regrets at all.
I love HTC products. The Thunderbolt is quite fast on 3G as well. I like the "fast boot" option too. No waiting for it to wake up when powering it up. This device has it all..............highly recommend.
I use the navigation a lot and it is perfect. Be careful though......it will ask if you want VZ or Google.
VZ Navigation has a fee............don't use it.........I like having the google voice navigation and it being free makes it even a better choice. It is accurate. :)