Wow. Pixel XL reviews are up. Looks good!! Anyone thinking of getting this

Kuttermax

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Opted to go with the Pixel Xl to replace my Note 7. Unfortunately no perfect option. Was torn between Pixel Xl and S7 Edge. I'm on Verizon, so V20 not an immediate option since they did let announce release date and I need to get rid of N7.

Pixel Xl seems to have a very good camera, 10% faster processor than N7, latest version of Android and Google Assistant. All attractive things. I will miss the wireless charging.

128Gb should cover me for most things. I had a 64gb Note 5 before my N7. However I also have a USB C dual drive to plug in if I want to watch movies on it but not use internal storage.

At some point we may get a phone with all the features of the N7, but for now every option has at least some compromise.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I wish I was more compelled by this device because I like stock Android...sometimes. I do like what I'm seeing of the camera, but owning a S7 Edge, that's not a compelling enough reason.

I get why people want one though. It does have the latest specs.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
it seems that Pixel are getting rave reviews... but in India their pricing is totally botched up.....it a phone is price too close to Iphones(which is the priciest of the lot) especially something like pixel will fail here...and it is !!! I will wait until lg v20 is announced in India
It's not botched up. The Pixel phones are exactly the same price as an iPhone everywhere.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Pixels are for iPhone envied ;) :) Closet iPhoner's

Even iPhone trumps the Pixel- twice the storage option. Google says,"You WILL like the Cloud and use it, so our "oligopoly" can be complete! We will data mine the heck out of you and the carriers will make billions from you downloading your OWN content!" ;) :) Win!

Obviously the people that like having their media local will not bother with the Pixel. Note 7 FTwwwww........ V20 FTW!!

Note 4 rocks now, but only 32GB option for apps. Still prefer that to no sd slot :)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It is splash resistant though at IP53.
But for a mere *gasp* $90, you can have a lifeproof case. WaterProof Pixel XL™ 5.5" Cases and Covers| FRE for Pixel XL™ 5.5" | LifeProof. | LifeProof

After paying almost $900 for the device, i'm not going to drop an additional $100 to get features it should've had already. If i'm paying $900, those features are already there.
Yeah, the iPhone, Note 7, and s7 edge all have waterproofing and that high of pricing. They should have priced it cheap enough to where people who do want waterproofing could get the life proof case and still have spent the same amount of money these other devices cost.
It's not botched up. The Pixel phones are exactly the same price as an iPhone everywhere.
Lol so what you're saying is they botched the pricing everywhere.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pixels are for iPhone envied ;) :) Closet iPhoner's

Even iPhone trumps the Pixel- twice the storage option. Google says,"You WILL like the Cloud and use it, so our "oligopoly" can be complete! We will data mine the heck out of you and the carriers will make billions from you downloading your OWN content!" ;) :) Win!

Obviously the people that like having their media local will not bother with the Pixel. Note 7 FTwwwww........ V20 FTW!!

Note 4 rocks now, but only 32GB option for apps. Still prefer that to no sd slot :)

I would have to disagree as I have used iPhone and prefer Android a lot more. Apple does the same "use our cloud" thing as well. Their apps get system access to work easily in the background -- not the same for 3rd party developers or other services where you have to open the app in the foreground for them to work ;).

Also they can data mine me all day -- they already do since I allow it so I will take that free online storage. I was already using Google Photos anyway. I snagged a 128 GB so I can store movies / music for trips but other than that I won't ever come close to filling that up.,

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well Android fans have always wanted the legit respect iPhone users get. They finally get that with the Pixel.

Every review has mentioned how Google controls everything with this phone and how great that is.

Sound familiar?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree as I have used iPhone and prefer Android a lot more. Apple does the same "use our cloud" thing as well. Their apps get system access to work easily in the background -- not the same for 3rd party developers or other services where you have to open the app in the foreground for them to work ;).

Also they can data mine me all day -- they already do since I allow it so I will take that free online storage. I was already using Google Photos anyway. I snagged a 128 GB so I can store movies / music for trips but other than that I won't ever come close to filling that up.,

It's personal choice :) I prefer content local since travel a lot and do not like being at the mercy of having LTE (paying to use own content) or WIFI and that just drains more battery than local content (about 10 percent more). I would take my Note 4 any day over the Pixel and the V20, if no Note 4.

Again, personal choice, but does appear to be some iPhone envy in Google's premise and marketing of the Pixel. They are making Samsung seem anti-iPhone in comparison ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's personal choice :) I prefer content local since travel a lot and do not like being at the mercy of having LTE (paying to use own content) or WIFI and that just drains more battery than local content (about 10 percent more). I would take my Note 4 any day over the Pixel and the V20 is no Note 4.

Again, personal choice, but does appear to be some iPhone envy in Google's premise and marketing of the Pixel. They are making Samsung seem anti-iPhone in comparison ;)

I have unlimited so paying for content isn't an issue for me :). I also don't travel as much as others so I am usually always within a data connection area 99% of the time.

Also I disagree with iPhone envy. They're simply making a phone that gets updates since everyone on every manufacturer has complained about that at some point -- and now it is bad they're doing that? I guess damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I personally don't like the pixel phone it looks like an iPhone to me boring design .hope samsung can clean the mess and come out strong.

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the Pixel XL 128 the day I returned my N7. "Closet Iphoner" lmao. That's funny. My decision was because I wanted to try a "pure" Google phone. I've had most major brand Android phones, as well as Palm and Microsoft. I've never had a Google phone before. My last 3 phones have been the N3, N5 and the short lived N7. I'm actually looking forward to the new experience. I have no problem with storing in the cloud, have been for years. I don't have to worry about something happening to my phone and losing my pics, videos, music, etc. Like if I drop it in water or it *cough* burns up *cough*. The 128 will be plenty of storage for my needs. I can see why some want more storage (sd card) or waterproofing but for me this phone will work and I'm curious what it's going to be like without the manufacturer influence on what's on the phone. As stated before, to each his own, we all enjoy Android anyway😀

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson