Wow. Pixel XL reviews are up. Looks good!! Anyone thinking of getting this

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Google clearly made this look like an iPhone because to a lot of people, it's what a smartphone should look like. Me, except for the screen, I don't care too much about looks. So it doesn't bother me.

As for people who claim that the lack of a microSD card slot is a deal breaker, I used to be like you. I remember mulling over switching from the Note 2 to the Nexus 5 -- I even pre-ordered it -- before deciding I couldn't live with a phone with just 32GB and no microSD card slot, where my Note 2 had 16GB and a 64GB microSD card.

But the Pixel has 128GB and Google offers Pixel users unlimited full-size photo storage. Yet people are slamming it because it doesn't have a microSD card slot. I can only imagine these people must take a lot of very long videos and store all of them on their phones because otherwise 128GB (minus the requisite space for the OS etc.) is enough for 99% of the music collections out there and obviously unlimited full-size photo storage is sufficient no matter how many photos one takes.

I've had a nice long run with the Note models, but the Pixel is now THE Android phone, particularly after the Note 7 debacle.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
S7 is only better in low light only. The Pixel has a better Camera in every other aspect even better the iPhone 7. Will miss my Note 7. This phone will get me through until the Next Note is released.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Mercedes is coming out with a hybrid model next year that is factory wireless charging by Qualcomm its a S series car

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the Pixel XL now and it is so different. I am going to have to get used to not being able to do a lot of things.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'll never understand people who base their decisions on camera tests done in-store with demo devices attached to a security tether. I went with he LG V20 and the camera is top-notch and on par with the 2 Note 7s I had. The Pixel is nice, and I bought one to resell, but it's a Google iPhone and does not interest me. After the recall fiasco and dealing with Samsung's absolutely PITIFUL customer service, I will never own another Samsung device ever again. LG got my money, and I am very happy they did.

Also, comparing screens, the LG V20 LCD screen is one of the brightest screens I have ever used, and the colors are more true to life than the over-saturation of Samsung's AMOLED screens.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Ah. I'm still not sold into the wireless charging thing yet lol so I didn't even think of that

Agreed. I had the S7, S7e, and the Note 7 and used the Samsung fast wireless charger. There was nothing fast about it. I could charge the device in half the time using the wall charger and cable. Wireless charging has been out for a few years, and has never gotten the lift that was expected. With the preference of devices being built in premium fashion, more manufacturers are using metal which does not allow for wireless charging. I'd much rather have a metal phone than a glass or plastic phone, and with USB type C, I'm ok with using the wall charger and the cable.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll never understand people who base their decisions on camera tests done in-store with demo devices attached to a security tether. I went with he LG V20 and the camera is top-notch and on par with the 2 Note 7s I had. The Pixel is nice, and I bought one to resell, but it's a Google iPhone and does not interest me. After the recall fiasco and dealing with Samsung's absolutely PITIFUL customer service, I will never own another Samsung device ever again. LG got my money, and I am very happy they did.

Also, comparing screens, the LG V20 LCD screen is one of the brightest screens I have ever used, and the colors are more true to life than the over-saturation of Samsung's AMOLED screens.
Have to disagree on the brightness of the v20. I work for a phone retailer and was able to play with the phone for a week. The v20 while playing video's is pretty dark even on the highest setting. Don't sit the note 7 next to it then it will look gloom. While I'll agree the display doesn't look bad the brightness isn't the best and that's coming from a person that leaves their phone on auto brightness.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Have to disagree on the brightness of the v20. I work for a phone retailer and was able to play with the phone for a week. The v20 while playing video's is pretty dark even on the highest setting. Don't sit the note 7 next to it then it will look gloom. While I'll agree the display doesn't look bad the brightness isn't the best and that's coming from a person that leaves their phone on auto brightness.

We can agree to disagree because I am using the V20, and I have it set to 60% brightness and it's pretty bright at that setting. It's not worth discussing the Note 7 anymore because it doesn't exist anymore.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is my first non Samsung phone since the Note 2 was released on VZW.

So far I've been happy. The battery life so far has been far superior than my Note 7 replacement.

It has been so nice being able to remove all of the VZW bloat.

As far as any future purchases of Samsung products, at this point I don't think I will switch back to Samsung. They handled the Note 7 poorly and especially the recall.

I think karma but Samsung in their collective rears.

Everything that has taken place during the release of the Note 7 and following could have been avoided.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
We can agree to disagree because I am using the V20, and I have it set to 60% brightness and it's pretty bright at that setting. It's not worth discussing the Note 7 anymore because it doesn't exist anymore.
The auto adjusting brightness was horrible on my old G4 (loved the phone still, though). Has LG improved it on the V20?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I had the S7, S7e, and the Note 7 and used the Samsung fast wireless charger. There was nothing fast about it. I could charge the device in half the time using the wall charger and cable. Wireless charging has been out for a few years, and has never gotten the lift that was expected. With the preference of devices being built in premium fashion, more manufacturers are using metal which does not allow for wireless charging. I'd much rather have a metal phone than a glass or plastic phone, and with USB type C, I'm ok with using the wall charger and the cable.
I use wireless charging for convenience and less wear and tear on the micro USB port on the phone. Obviously wireless charging isn't as fast as plugging it in, but it's charged by morning and that's what matters. Fast wireless charging is fast compared to regular wireless charging, and again fast corded charging will be faster. I don't use fast charging very often anyway, it heats the battery up more and is hard on the battery, why would anyone need fast charging for overnight charging? Fast charging is only beneficial for topping off during the day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson