Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am leaving ATT for VZ.

I have done a lot of research on the TB but have always loved the form factor of the DX.

I can spend close to $400 on a TB. One year contract plus acceseories. Plus some extra juice to move from ATT. Or I can spend around $50 to get an X.

Never done the Android thing but it reminds me a lot of my old palm. Wide open and lots of customization.

The only drawback I can see is signing a 2 year contract at Costco and be locked into it for that long. Of course I could wait a year and get the TB for full retail but much cheaper..

WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I probably wouldn't sign a two year for the DX even though its a great phone... only because of new devices being released. I'm personally waiting on the Bionic. Its a tough call. I'm happy with my DX and can't see myself really switching it for the TB.... but if I were coming from a non Android device and had to make a sudden death decision between the DX and TB.... I would probably go with the TB.... otherwise I'm holding on to my DX for something better.

Reactions: Shuckster

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I could do the X now and with the money I save on the X I could get a new unit later right? I am a little confused on this subject..

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am leaving ATT for VZ.

I have done a lot of research on the TB but have always loved the form factor of the DX.

I can spend close to $400 on a TB. One year contract plus acceseories. Plus some extra juice to move from ATT. Or I can spend around $50 to get an X.

Never done the Android thing but it reminds me a lot of my old palm. Wide open and lots of customization.

The only drawback I can see is signing a 2 year contract at Costco and be locked into it for that long. Of course I could wait a year and get the TB for full retail but much cheaper..

WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

Until I truly see what the performance improvement come from the Thunderbolt I would say go with the Droid X because it performance very well and has made a number of users happy including me.

As for the two year contract part, keep in mind how the "New 2 Year Policy Works", you can upgrade your device after being a year into contract and still receive equipment discount but use the additional bonus discount that you get for riding the 2 year all the way out (Which isn't much).

so if you find a device you like after a year you should be able to upgrade at that point and get the discount listed for the device. (But this is only if you sign up for the New 2 Year plan, they are starting to consider filtering it out, but if you can get it at contract signing you will be good).

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
For such a cheap price I could do the DX now and then use that cash on a future device. Is my logic faulty? I REALLY like the form factor of the X. I can't shake that.

pihutch

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI - you can pick up the X from wirefly.com right now with a new 2yr contract for $19.99. That leaves plenty of $$$ in the budget to upgrade later even if you have to do it at full price.

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Chrisy. I know you and I are in similar situations, from what I have read in this forum.

This is why I am leaning towards the DX.

-Price. I can get this phone for the price of a pizza.
-Form factor. I like the thinness.
-Not a gamer but a reader. Both TB and DX have a real nice screen.
--My area doesn't have 4G and won't till the end of the year, so 4G isn't a factor.
-Its not ATT. I got to get away from that network.
-The X has been put through the ringer and we know what to expect, the TB is a mystery.

Negatives-
-2 year contract. I will probably break this next year when I am sick of the phone. I will use the $$ that I don't use now $400 on a TB or something like it next year.
-$400 that I would have to dole out for the TB and accessories. I know it's hypocritical to use this twice....

Maybe I'm just talking myself into it.....

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Also, so far, the X is still one of the top smartphones in nearly every category - even more so than most of the recent releases and even though it's facing end-of-life for purchase. I don't have any plans to get rid of it soon because, frankly, it's still the best. The next generation (4G and LTE) would have to be available for me to give serious consideration to abandoning my faithful X. Lovin' it after nearly 8 months - it still has the power to awe.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I've had my BlackBerry Tour two years. I still really like the look of the Droid X. If the TB was a month or even 3 weeks away, I'd get the X instead.

Besides the X being avail now, the pros for me are it's way cheaper and it's been out so a lot of the bugs have been worked out.

Still, I'm getting the TB because I like Sense and the specs.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would go for the X for sure. You will save all the money you don't spend on the TB and you can use it on a better phone than the TB down the line when you get tired of your X. The X is a great phone. I will have mine for at least another year.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The X is killer, and for the price? You can't go wrong. Tech specs aside, the dev community seems to have really latched onto it and created some truly amazing X-specific ROMS. TB will probably be a great Android phone, too, but the price on the X right now is just insane. I'm a "wait-and-see" guy, though, and usually give new units a few months on the market for bug fixes and updates, and so I can read reviews and see how receptive the dev community is, etc, before jumping anyway.

CanOfBees

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
FWIW (i.e., ignorance disclaimer) -- i really like my X, but i'm waiting to see if motorola is going to play nice with developers (and the rooting/hacking community) and open the bootloader(s) on their newer phones, the X included.

AFAICT, htc has a better track record with bootloaders (i could be wrong here? i dunno.).

all of this means, to me, that with htc they're respecting your purchase; i.e. if you want to root/hack/ROM/whatever, you can knock yourself out. with motorola, the hardware lockdown is disappointing. please note: i'm very new to all of this, and i could certainly have facts wrong (and therefore be espousing junk opinions); if you see any egregious errors let me know :).

bottom line = i'm very happy with my X, but if motorola doesn't change their bootloading policies, i won't be buying any more of their hardware. [1]

cheers!
[1] i'm looking on the bright side of things, i.e. motorola will realize that they're alienating a vital community of users (the vast majority of whom love the motorola hardware's build quality, etc.) and make appropriate changes. of course it's their corporate right to do whatever they please, but as i said, i'm looking on the bright side.

postscript: sorry if this counts as thread-jack, but these are some of the things *i* will be considering when it comes time for me to pick up a new phone.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
FWIW (i.e., ignorance disclaimer) -- i really like my X, but i'm waiting to see if motorola is going to play nice with developers (and the rooting/hacking community) and open the bootloader(s) on their newer phones, the X included.

AFAICT, htc has a better track record with bootloaders (i could be wrong here? i dunno.).

all of this means, to me, that with htc they're respecting your purchase; i.e. if you want to root/hack/ROM/whatever, you can knock yourself out. with motorola, the hardware lockdown is disappointing. please note: i'm very new to all of this, and i could certainly have facts wrong (and therefore be espousing junk opinions); if you see any egregious errors let me know :).

bottom line = i'm very happy with my X, but if motorola doesn't change their bootloading policies, i won't be buying any more of their hardware. [1]

cheers!
[1] i'm looking on the bright side of things, i.e. motorola will realize that they're alienating a vital community of users (the vast majority of whom love the motorola hardware's build quality, etc.) and make appropriate changes. of course it's their corporate right to do whatever they please, but as i said, i'm looking on the bright side.

postscript: sorry if this counts as thread-jack, but these are some of the things *i* will be considering when it comes time for me to pick up a new phone.

You got it right. HTC is more open and has more options when it comes to Roms and hacking but developers usually find a workaround for Motorola's bootloader either way. It may take a little longer but it does get done. My DX is rooted, custom rom, themed and overclocked...... no complaints here. I'm actually happier with the rom/theme/overclock options for the DX over what HTC has. Either way I will always find a solution to customizing my phone the way I like whether its with HTC or Motorola. Win Win Situation for me.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
X is on it's way out. I wouldn't sign any contract for it. I would either get the TB or wait a bit and see what 4G dual core FFC phones show up.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You got it right. HTC is more open and has more options when it comes to Roms and hacking but developers usually find a workaround for Motorola's bootloader either way. It may take a little longer but it does get done. My DX is rooted, custom rom, themed and overclocked...... no complaints here. I'm actually happier with the rom/theme/overclock options for the DX over what HTC has. Either way I will always find a solution to customizing my phone the way I like whether its with HTC or Motorola. Win Win Situation for me.

Was just wondering how the community will deal with the carriers throttling those with rooted devices?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aerogurl