Ya'll ever feel like ICS is a step backwards?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not at all it made perfect sense the way it worked before. If you wanted to add something to the home screen you pressed it long press and then you had options to do wallpaper, widgets whatever and you pressed wallpaper and it gave options where to get them from (stock wallpapers, live wallpaper, then specific apps that you could get them from). That is not endless menus it is two and hardly excessive. Perfect logical sense and anyone with half a brain cell could figure it out once they knew there was a menu there.

That last part highlights exactly why it was removed from the menu. It was unintuitive, it didn't make any sense from a user perspective, and it was just totally poor design. That, and if you had a hundred widgets, you'd have to scroll through, hope you chose the one you wanted in the size you wanted, and then put it on the home screen.

The problem here is that they are trying to follow Apple's example and dumb down the UI and that is a mistake. It took three major releases for Apple to even give them the option to change their wallpaper. If something like that is too complicated for someone then they have no business using a smartphone.

No, that's not at all correct. The UI is no more dumbed down than gingerbread. Its been cleaned up, in a significant way, and its much improved for it.

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I found another way to make a shortcut without go launcher. (many people naysay without even trying, i'm critical and vocal but I also try to solve issues)

anyway download es file explorer (having an explorer type program is handy anyways) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&token=RuMuCCCt
Find your file, long press on it and swipe down and choose shortcut, et voila!

I did one of a picture and one of a pdf for you.

Click to view quoted image

Thanks for this. One of few constructive comments on this thread. People have the right to not want to learn a totally redesigned UI, but thats when the 3rd party launcher apps can be useful. It's not a bad thing per se and I certainly don't think ICS is a step backwards.

However, I do have a question. There is a "settings" app in the app drawer which I have moved to my home screen for easy access when I need to use it. I have also managed to add the tethering settings to my home screen. I then grouped the two together under one folder which only makes sense. My problem is I cannot recall how I managed to add the tethering settings to my home screen to begin with. Can someone please help me remember?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem here is that they are trying to follow Apple's example and dumb down the UI and that is a mistake. It took three major releases for Apple to even give them the option to change their wallpaper. If something like that is too complicated for someone then they have no business using a smartphone.
THIS. Seriously.

Me: Why could you not simply allow for both? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Because its poor UX design. Having widgets grouped in the wallpaper menu, and hidden behind layers of other menus, is a usability nightmare. Making this change immediately makes that part of the OS more accessible for new users, and just makes sense.
Yes, making this easier for people to get to it a "usability nightmare". LOL

Me: That has not been my experience. I am sure custom launchers will correct this flaw in the OS, so I suppose I am not too worried about it.

This is not a flaw.
Yes, if we dont get it, that must mean we cannot see the genius of the design. Have you ever considered applying for a job at Apple?

butchyon

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
OMG! Many thanks to @yosteve! You da man! Problem was, I already had Astro File Manager installed (been using it for a coupla years), and tried to use it to make the shortcuts, but like ICS, it doesn't have the "Shortcut" option when you long-press a file. I guess that just goes to show that like OS's, not all file managers are created equal. I have now installed ES and uninstalled Astro!
Thanks again for responding and letting me know how I could get this done! It really means a lot to me!
After all, it's not like ICS has a users manual. At least not one this in-depth. But thank goodness for the Android Central User Forums!

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
However, I do have a question. There is a "settings" app in the app drawer which I have moved to my home screen for easy access when I need to use it. I have also managed to add the tethering settings to my home screen. I then grouped the two together under one folder which only makes sense. My problem is I cannot recall how I managed to add the tethering settings to my home screen to begin with. Can someone please help me remember?

I'm guessing you're using nova launcher, long press on the home screen it's in nova actions. Otherwise i'm not sure what you're saying.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, never did I say I had a problem with tapatalk.

You can see though that it does refresh when it asks you to restart the copied old message. When you do it on a web browser it's lost.

I've come to the conclusion that many just haven't seen it yet just with regular use of the phone. Don't worry, you will.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, never did I say I had a problem with tapatalk.

You can see though that it does refresh when it asks you to restart the copied old message. When you do it on a web browser it's lost.

I've come to the conclusion that many just haven't seen it yet just with regular use of the phone. Don't worry, you will.

Yosteve could you explain what you mean......I can be on a web page like this one or others and be typing something into a text input field....then go to another application....and using my multitask button come back to exactly where i was on a webpage and continue typing....no reload. Are you talking about something else?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yosteve could you explain what you mean......I can be on a web page like this one or others and be typing something into a text input field....then go to another application....and using my multitask button come back to exactly where i was on a webpage and continue typing....no reload. Are you talking about something else?
Ok but only cause you asked :)

Yes but it's more involved.
I constructed a test. Because it doesn't always happen.
First make sure you're app free in the multitasker besides this one.
Second click on this link http://www.fox.com/
Next watch the video clip. Half way through a video tap on it to reveal the play button and click on it to pause.
Next, press the home hey to keep it open.

Next, do something that requires you to open another app that hasn't been opened in awhile.
example: open your people app and add a fake as a contact don't even need a number, select done

Press the home key

Press the multitask button and go back to the fox video.

Note how it reloads and you lose your space entirely.

Now here's the kicker, close the app swipe it off and try it again and it works fine. so you have to do something else like take a picture (if you haven't on awhile) then go back and it reloads, but if you then close the camera, start the video again then go back and take a picture it's fine.

you probably will never see it but you inadvertently see it every time your tapatalk asks you to open a saved draft, it has to reload.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That last part highlights exactly why it was removed from the menu. It was unintuitive, it didn't make any sense from a user perspective, and it was just totally poor design. That, and if you had a hundred widgets, you'd have to scroll through, hope you chose the one you wanted in the size you wanted, and then put it on the home screen..

I've been using Android since 1.6 so please dont tell me I dont know how widgets work. I am well aware of how to make them and how to re-sixe them (a feature that originated on Motobulr I believe and was added to Honeycomb).

Yes stock android (at least older versions) you just got a list of widgets, but you have been able to visually select widgest in the better OEM skins (ie Sense) for a long time and didn't have to go into the app drawer to do it. Moving it there does nothing but make it HARDER to find. If you want to do something on the home screen now that there is no menu button you do a hard press. Easy.

Again I haven't used stock Android since the Original Droid so I am not sure how stock handled widgets in the Gingerbread but this is a case where every one of the OEM skins handled widgets well and it was easier to do than how it is in stock ICS. I have no problem with having it in the app drawer for those who want it that way that's fine but removing existing functionality is stupid.

No, that's not at all correct. The UI is no more dumbed down than gingerbread. Its been cleaned up, in a significant way, and its much improved for it.

Yes it is. dragging icons on top of each-other to make folders (a la iPhone) instead of Menu > Create folder) US indeed dumbed down. Removing the menu button entirely is dumbing down.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is. dragging icons on top of each-other to make folders (a la iPhone) instead of Menu > Create folder) US indeed dumbed down. Removing the menu button entirely is dumbing down.

No it isn't. Making a feature more functional and easier to use is not 'dumbing it down'. The end result is not different than using the menu key; getting there makes a whole lot more sense though.

The entire purpose of ICS is to get rid of all of the hidden crap in the OS, most of which never got touched in any of the major updates because it was so hidden. Seriously. You need to go read up on all the interviews with Duarte about ICS.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
THIS. Seriously.

The long press IS a usability nightmare. It hides functions in an unintuitive, text driven menu, in order to get to something that is very dependent on NON textual design. Its a piss-poor design, which is why it was scrapped.

Yes, if we dont get it, that must mean we cannot see the genius of the design. Have you ever considered applying for a job at Apple?

No, it just means you're a stubborn old codger that can't deal with change. If it was up to people like you, we'd still be using Windows 95.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ice is fine, problem is fragmentation. It is getting worse. Google needs to hone in and kill. The market is cut hard with paper. There is a market for fragmented OS, but enough is enough. If google wants to survive they need to gain some control.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't. Making a feature more functional and easier to use is not 'dumbing it down'. The end result is not different than using the menu key; getting there makes a whole lot more sense though.

The entire purpose of ICS is to get rid of all of the hidden crap in the OS, most of which never got touched in any of the major updates because it was so hidden. Seriously. You need to go read up on all the interviews with Duarte about ICS.

I am well aware of what Duarte has accomplished with other platforms and what he was trying to do with Android, but that does not mean that I have to agree with it.

I've made folders when I didn't intend to several times. Creating folders that way is NOT initiative to me and to a lot of people. It wasn't when iPhone did it and it isn't in Android.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ice is fine, problem is fragmentation. It is getting worse. Google needs to hone in and kill. The market is cut hard with paper. There is a market for fragmented OS, but enough is enough. If google wants to survive they need to gain some control.

ROTFL, Google is doing Juuust fine thank you. ...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The long press IS a usability nightmare. It hides functions in an unintuitive, text driven menu, in order to get to something that is very dependent on NON textual design. Its a piss-poor design, which is why it was scrapped.

How is it hidden? I agree that the main Settings menu used to be a mess but long pressing on the home screen gave you access to all the options to customize the home screen which makes perfect sense to most people. The better skins (ie Sense) even organise the menu rather than make it an alphabetical or random list of settings. IMHO Sense is the best example of this. We can do anything to customize the screen from one menu. NICE.

No, it just means you're a stubborn old codger that can't deal with change. If it was up to people like you, we'd still be using Windows 95.

People dont agree with you so you start calling names *shakes head*

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The VP thinks your Internet rights are not rights. I read like a graduate student. Don't smoke and mirror me.

Politics aside facts are facts and you can't ignore hundreds of thousands of activations a day. Google and Android are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Politics aside facts are facts and you can't ignore hundreds of thousands of activations a day. Google and Android are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Of course, it is economic to activate free. Nothing like freeware to advertise. The fragmented market is strong and always will be. did you see googles VP article? He says you have no right to the Internet. That remark makes me spit on google. I am a unix fan too.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
THIS. Seriously.

The fighting and personal attacks stop now.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Let me just say, I completely agree with you Droid800. ICS is by no means a step backwards. A lot of design/navigation alterations made to the OS really help simplify everything. The long-press option was the worst. I always found myself long pressing everywhere and options would come up only every once in a while. Also, you have software menus and the hardware menu button that accomplished the same thing, or for some reason, was split among the other menu options.

The problem here is that many of you are used to the old ways of handling Android. You guys are not thinking through the eyes of someone who's never picked up Android -- or even a smartphone in general. Its about creating an experience that enjoyable and easy to use. In order for that to happen, Google had to make a lot of changes so that information and options were presented right to the user without them having to search through layers upon layers of information. You guys call this a step backwards because -- as I mentioned already -- are used to a certain operation. And many of you have this mentality that something simple makes it 'dumb down'. Android still has all the same features and characteristic we all know and love -- just now its presented a little differently so it could be understood more.