HTC Extended battery issues??

samrazik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had the HTC Thunderbolt since it came out. I bought the 2750 HTC extended battery from Verizon when it first came out. The battery usually works fine at first and gets me through the day (moderate use). However, after a couple months the battery fails..and lasts only a few hours. This happened a couple times already. I go to Verizon store and they replace the battery. I'm currently on my 3rd battery, it's happening again. Also, the phone has been replaced (for other reasons), so it can't be the a defective phone.

Things I do, that might not be good for the battery:
I charge overnight... beyond full charge.
I use my kindle charger, or any micro-USB charger that's available, when my HTC charger isn't around.
I have a bunch of free apps (Ad-filled) that I don't use much.

I only turn GPS when I need it.. my display is set at 40%, I use WIFI when available.
WTF?

I went to Verizon yesterday and the rep preformed a "battery drain test": 15min phone call and see if there's significant battery drain.. it didn't drain much, and she refused to switch the battery out.

An hour after I left the store, the battery indicator turned yellow...wtf

Am I doing something wrong? I'm hesitant to buy a new battery, or to upgrade my phone just because of this issue..
I think the extended battery should still last at least 12hrs or so..
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the back cover is fitting and seated properly? I say this because the radio antennas are in the back cover. If anything is amiss with the fit the phone will be searching/negotiating the signal all the time. This is the biggest battery killer ever. Especially with potential background processes trying to connect to the Internet all the time (ads). So... check that the cover and all contacts are in good shape and seated properly. Make sure you have not bent any of the contacts (there are around 6 at least, maybe more, I forgot at the moment). Could be in an area of perfect signal (like at the store) it works, but in less than that it is searching all the time.

As for "light use"... I guess we all define that differently, but if I was to make/get maybe 5/6 10 minute phone calls a day, and surf the web for about a hour a day, I believe my extended battery would last at least two days. Although I usually charge it before it even gets down to 50 percent anyway.

If you're not into evaluating each app indepentently to try to eliminate background processes and ad retreival, you might just want to do a hard reset and start over. Yeah, PITA, I know.

-Frank

Reactions: samrazik

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
When you look at the Battery Information, what does it say is draining your battery the most? If it's not display or voice (if you make a lot of calls), then I would be concerned.

I've had the extended battery for about 9 months now. I bought it from android central's store, it's an HTC branded battery. It has been excellent and still holds virtually the same charge now as it did when I bought it. I also have the seidio active case to fit it.

I charge my phone every night, typically with my old blackberry storm charger. I have all of my settings turned on (GPS, WIFI, bluetooth, display auto, etc). I use my phone for conference calls and generally get through 2-3 hours of calls, sometimes while simultaneously on a webex on the phone. I still have 20%+ left when on those heavy days. A normal (light) day I'm charging it at night at around 70-80%.

Reactions: samrazik

samrazik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the tips. according to your description, I'm a light user. I checked the contact points on the cover like you suggested and they seem fine. I'm erased my SD card and will do a factory reset and keep the apps at a minimum, adding one a day and then uninstalling anything that causes significant drain... that's the plan.. and hopefully when the Thunderbolt gets ICS that'll help the battery too..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If it is a sporadic and sudden drop, i.e. you normally get 12 hours, and suddenly, you get 3 hours on the same type of usage, then check to see if you have apps going out of whack in the "settings>about phone>battery", and compare it to what you normally see. also, click on the graph, it should show the signal and if there is any loss of signal. any such substantial loss of signal may cause the battery to deplete quicker. also, use a widget like "battery monitor widget" from the play store to see your power consumption. if all of a sudden, it spikes for an extended period of time, especially when the phone is not on, then you probably have a problem. one problem that i had on my tb was that it was "stuck" on 4g, but got no internet connectivity. when stuck like this, it drained the battery very fast and the phone got hot, even without usage. this issue was more prevalent when i first got the tb, but since gb, it seemed to be less of an issue. if you keep having problems, get verizon to replace it. after a few replacements, i got a rezound as a warranty replacement and that helped a lot as the rezound has much stronger signal. of course, getting another phone as a warranty replacement is a major ymmv, but i know others have been able to get it as well.