A couple of n00b questions

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First, I just want to say thank you to everybody here, you may not know it, but you have made my Thunderbolt (and 1st Android phone) experience TERRIFIC with all of the guides and walkthroughs you've provided!

I have a couple of questions regarding my newly rooted phone. I'm running das BAMF Sense 3.0 GB RC4 with the MR2 radio. I want to try out the MR2.5 radio because I'm having some data connection issues on MR2 (WiFi, GPS, and cell service all work great, I just can't get ANY data service, no 4G, 3G, or even 1X). My question is, should I wipe data, cache, and davlik before flashing the new radio, or is that a step I can skip?

Another question I have is in regards to the Task Manager that came preinstalled on das BAMF. Everything I've read about Task Managers told me that they are not something you want on your phone. Would it be OK to remove it or will that screw up the ROM?

Thanks for all of the help, both so far and in the future!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to wipe anything when flashing a new radio just remember to remove the radio file from your sdcard when you done. I haven't really looked at the task manager that comes with BAMF and have not removed mine but guessing you shouldn't have any issues if you do remove it. I would make sure you have a backup before you remove just to be safe :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i agree with mclarryjr, no data cache or dalvik wipe is necessary for flashing radios in hboot and i believe the task manager that comes with das bamf is by default not killing any tasks so as long as you aren't using it i dont see any reason to remove it, but if you want to try you should make a nandroid first.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not aware of a task manager installed with BAMF roms...is it part of the toolkit?

In general, yes, there is no reason to run taks killers on current OS versions...and may even do more harm than good. If you have one installed, you really don't need to uninstall it, just make sure it isn't set to auto-kill apps.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of a task manager installed with BAMF roms...is it part of the toolkit?

In general, yes, there is no reason to run taks killers on current OS versions...and may even do more harm than good. If you have one installed, you really don't need to uninstall it, just make sure it isn't set to auto-kill apps.

I actually just read a fairly lengthy thread or blog somewhere that was about the possible benefits of task killers when used with Gingerbread bc of GB inefficiencies and memory leaks that can lead to hardware failure... a bunch (most) of it was over my head, and i'm not suggesting the use of a task killer to anybody without doing their homework (i have never needed or used one btw). Just thought it was interesting.

Reactions: mclarryjr

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Zero thanks for the update I haven't heard anything about the memory leaks but really haven't looked either or noticed any leaks so far (knock on wood).

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys.

From looking at the BAMF Task Manager, it doesn't seem to be auto-killing any tasks. It seems to be more of a tool to allow you to do it manually.

I flashed the 2.5 radio and still seem to be having trouble maintaining a data signal. Any thoughts on any settings or anything else to try to fix this?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Zero thanks for the update I haven't heard anything about the memory leaks but really haven't looked either or noticed any leaks so far (knock on wood).

No problem - i tried to find the link to share but it seems to be missing.
The memory leaks the author was referencing seem to be from the leaked gb build (i believe what bamf 2.x series is based on) - anyway, not sure of the ramifications of all this, just thought it was interesting.

at Nole-el - if 2.5 radio isn't working well with your phone, i would try the 2.0 MR radio - that seems to work better for some devices.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The MR 2.0 is working great for me I haven't even tried the 2.5 since I have no issues.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've tried both radios and both seem to have the same issue. Wifi, cell signal, GPS, etc. all work great. But the data signal seems to drop out (no 4G, 3G, or 1X) after the phone's been on for 5-10 minutes and doesn't come back without restarting. The fact that it's both radios leads me to believe it's some setting other than the radios that is causing the problem.

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
When you installed the rom, did you do a clean install (wipe data, cache partition, and dalvik cache - each twice)?

Yep. I actually did them all 3 times. I'm getting sporadic data coverage now. Still dropping out quite a bit. I'm starting to think it might be a problem on Verizon's end. Anyone hear of any data outages in the South Florida area?

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No anti-virus running. I've been playing around quite a bit with the new ROM and installing a bunch of apps and widgets. Are there any other programs that kill data?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So your mobile data works on other roms? What else have you tried?
Where did you download the radio from?

maybe try this - boot into recovery mode, wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache 2x each, format system (under Mounts and storage), flash the rom, reboot, wait 5+ minutes without using the phone, open up the setup and skip thru it without putting in any account info (google, etc.)
try this radio link, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/Mr2.5 PG05IMG.zip
MD5: 513f5c64323876cf7c479bd21bd1dc3e
Place file on the root of your sd card, check md5, rename to PG05IMG.zip (delete or rename the pg05img file that's already there first).
reboot to bootloader and flash the radio.
reboot phone and let it sit for 5 min before you use it/run setup, then leave it alone for 10-20 min if you restore apps thru google or titanium backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nole-El

Nole-El

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help everyone! It does seem that the data issue was on Verizon's end. I was starting to get sporadic coverage last night (up from no coverage during the day yesterday) and I woke up this morning to great data coverage (knock on wood).

One last question (for now anyways). After trying the different radios to resolve the problem, 2.5 ended up being the last one I flashed. It's running fine now, but the consensus seems to be that 2.0 gives better results. Do you think it's worth re-flashing MR2 if MR2.5 seems to be working fine? Will MR2 work even better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa