Odd file called update.zip?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently used revo to root. Everything seems to be working well. I've done nandroids from cwm and rm and backed up apps and settings with titanium.

The odd thing is when I go into recovery the second item on the list of choices is "apply update.zip".
I have searched with root explorer and astro. There is no file by that name on my as card nor anywhere else. There isn't even a file called update.
Why is cwr asking if I want to flash a file that isn't there? Is there a way to get rid of it? God knows what would happen if I hit it by accident...and eventually I'm sure I will!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That's a relief. I had to look at the menu in explorer. In tapatalk i couldnt make it big enough to read.

I have studied that thread but I haven't run accross when you WOULD use the option to apply update.zip?

So far I have found no reason to use it... it's probably some type of backward compatible thing... most any patches or updates to ROMs can and do get fixed with small patch files.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So far I have found no reason to use it... it's probably some type of backward compatible thing... most any patches or updates to ROMs can and do get fixed with small patch files.

I also believe it's more of a legacy thing. Much like how radio and RUU files get named PG05IMG.zip to get flashed in HBOOT, certain updates probably needed to be named "update.zip" to be flashed in recovery.

Of course, that's not a requirement any more (you can flash files of any name), so I'm not sure what purpose it now serves. As long as you don't have a filed named "update.zip" on the root of your card, it's not like you can do any damage by accidentally selecting it either (plus you'd be asked to confirm).

Reactions: recDNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty