Can you get the OTA if rooted

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am rooted and am running stock, can I still get the OTA update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Simple answer, you really don't want to, but may not have a choice.

A lot of folks rooted but running stock OS have found that their device automatically tries to install the update, leaving their device completely hosed up.

My honest advice? Install a custom ROM now (the better of two choices in my opinion), or unroot your device and restore it back to pre-root condition before that happens.

You may also want to read the FAQ linked in my signature.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Paint... unless you have rooted your device just to root your device and left all the bloatware on you device and not really done anything with it, then and only then would the OTA maybe not cause problems, otherwise you will have issues... install a custom ROM is the best solution for this issue.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Paint... unless you have rooted your device just to root your device and left all the bloatware on you device and not really done anything with it, then and only then would the OTA maybe not cause problems, otherwise you will have issues... install a custom ROM is the best solution for this issue.

Agreed. If you've already rooted, there's really no reason not to install a custom rom.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have installed the rooted version of the 605.5 update. Still stock rooted. Will vzw still try to push the update I've already installed (in rooted version)?

EvolutionGSR

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just intalled the GB updTe on a rooted phone and lost root. Was that supposed to happen? Im on the revolutionary root. I think it said something about not finding th su binary? Anyone know how i grt it back?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
*shakes head*

IF YOU INSTALL OTA YOU WILL LOOSE ROOT

If you used revolutionary to root then I dont believe you will loose root or s-off. I installed the 605.5 RUU over my rooted phone that was running gingersense3d and never lost root or s-off. I did need to reinstall SU though.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just intalled the GB updTe on a rooted phone and lost root. Was that supposed to happen? Im on the revolutionary root. I think it said something about not finding th su binary? Anyone know how i grt it back?

Did you do the power button/vol down button to check? Or did you just use an app that requires root access and it says you no longer have root or no superuser permission?

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
What is ics biggest new feature?

NO BLOAT!!! the fact that normal users who spend $200-$300 on a high end android smartphone and have no interest in rooting can't remove VZ BLOAT or Lets golf 2 is ASININE, with ICS there will no longer be carrier bloatware that cant be removed.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
NO BLOAT!!! the fact that normal users who spend $200-$300 on a high end android smartphone and have no interest in rooting can't remove VZ BLOAT or Lets golf 2 is ASININE, with ICS there will no longer be carrier bloatware that cant be removed.

That's a good point but losing a feature I'm used to bothers me more than the bloat. I do agree itbis nice to get rid of it. If cm7 ever becomes official for tbolt,......plus I can freeze any bloat I want to rooted/stock and not lose any features.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez