Just a quick general recovery question...

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
When you use CWM to make a backup, are the backups saved on the micro SD card, or on the phone itself?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, they are saved to the SD card. Also, be aware that the backups are usually anywhere from 500MB to 1GB+ in size, so you'll want to delete older ones if you find you're making backups frequently, as they do take up quite a bit of space.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they are saved to the SD card. Also, be aware that the backups are usually anywhere from 500MB to 1GB+ in size, so you'll want to delete older ones if you find you're making backups frequently, as they do take up quite a bit of space.

+1

I would also reccommend renaming them also. You can use a file manager program and/or hook your phone up, navigate to the CLOCKWORKMOD directory and rename them. For example, I have BAMF 1.11, Infected and IKream ROMS backed up and they are named as such, that way I know which is which.

I have also heard this mentioned before. When you make a NADROID backup back up from the Recovery screen. Press the power button until the reboot screen comes up, then pick RESTART and then RECOVERY. Make your backup from there.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Always make sure when renaming CWM recovery backups you do it with the following style of format...

filename_backup.xxx

or

filename-backup.xxx

DO NOT USE SPACES, 99% OF THE TIME IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE FILE FOR RESTORE.

Reactions: Ed Witles

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Always make sure when renaming CWM recovery backups you do it with the following style of format...

filename_backup.xxx

or

filename-backup.xxx

DO NOT USE SPACES, 99% OF THE TIME IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE FILE FOR RESTORE.

You are right...oversight on my part. I thought everyone knew that you use underscore. That is a pet peeve of mine....especially at work. People name their files with "." all the time. I correct them. I never allow spaces...always "_"

Mine are named

BAMF_111
Infected_191
SoaB_104
Gingeritis_3D
iKream

I only have Infected and iKream currently backed up.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Heh, I feel kinda bad so many people jumped in on here, as I was only asking because I sold my (rooted) Thunderbolt, but kept the memory card, and I just wanted to make sure the person I sold it to couldn't load up one of my restores and have access to my info, buy stuff on the Market with my credit card, etc.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Heh, I feel kinda bad so many people jumped in on here, as I was only asking because I sold my (rooted) Thunderbolt, but kept the memory card, and I just wanted to make sure the person I sold it to couldn't load up one of my restores and have access to my info, buy stuff on the Market with my credit card, etc.

Oh, in that case you should be fine...but hopefully you did do a factory reset on the device to clear all current data off of it!

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep, took care of that. I assume doing the factory reset through CM7 (the ROM I had installed on there) still erases everything (but leaves CM7 on it), right?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Don't feel bad, if anything its a wake up call to many who make this mistake of improper renaming or usage of Nandroid backup/restores...

Its all about sharing and educating everyone in the community ;)