Anyone have the UHD toshiba chromebook?

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at getting the UHD version of the Toshiba chromebook. I like the fact it has a better resolution than the others (besides the pixel), really has me drawn in. I would love a new pixel but at the price point right now, the Toshiba is in the sweet spot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait, there's a UHD Toshiba Chromebook? The 2015 Chromebook 2 is full​ HD (i.e., 1080p), but I'm not aware of a 4K Chromebook.

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, sorry for the confusion, on a website they called the chromebook with the lower resolution screen HD, and the one with higher resolution UHD. I was just going by that. The chromebook I am talking about is the one with the higher resolution screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got it. If they were calling it UHD, that's a typo (or a mistake). UHD is 4K, while full HD (FHD) is 1080p. 720p is considered HD.

So the next question is if you're interested in the first generation Chromebook 2, or the recently released 2nd generation. They both have full HD versions, but the main difference is that the first generation had a relatively sluggish Celeron N2840 processor, while the new version has a more powerful Celeron 3215U processor. Since the new version's retail price is no different from the original retail price of the 1st generation, I'd go for the 2015 Chromebook 2, with full HD and 4 GB of RAM.

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The newer one is the one I am talking about. I am wondering how the screen is...I am debating this or just going with a pixel 2. Is the extra money really worth buying the pixel.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't think so, unless you find it used at a significant discount. It's a great machine, but with Chrome OS, you really don't need the very top-of-the-line specs to have an optimal experience. The key components for any Chromebook are (1) screen resolution and quality, (2) processor, (3) amount of RAM, and (4) keyboard. The hands-on articles I've read about the new Toshiba say that it has pretty much the same excellent IPS screen as the first version. The Celeron 3215U processor is quite powerful--I know, because my new Acer CB5 has it, and it significantly outperforms my older HP 14 that had the 2955U (which previously was the reigning Octane champ when it came to non-i3 processors). 4 GB of RAM is highly recommended, since 2 GB might cause a little more sluggishness if you have lots of tabs (i.e., >10 or so) open. The reviews for the Toshiba keyboard are good as well.

The Toshiba has the added benefit of very good speakers, from SkullCandy, in case that's important to you.

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't think so, unless you find it used at a significant discount. It's a great machine, but with Chrome OS, you really don't need the very top-of-the-line specs to have an optimal experience. The key components for any Chromebook are (1) screen resolution and quality, (2) processor, (3) amount of RAM, and (4) keyboard. The hands-on articles I've read about the new Toshiba say that it has pretty much the same excellent IPS screen as the first version. The Celeron 3215U processor is quite powerful--I know, because my new Acer CB5 has it, and it significantly outperforms my older HP 14 that had the 2955U (which previously was the reigning Octane champ when it came to non-i3 processors). 4 GB of RAM is highly recommended, since 2 GB might cause a little more sluggishness if you have lots of tabs (i.e., >10 or so) open. The reviews for the Toshiba keyboard are good as well.

The Toshiba has the added benefit of very good speakers, from SkullCandy, in case that's important to you.

Thanks, I think you are probably right. Maybe the Toshiba is the better option to go with. I do love the form factor of the pixel 2, Its the same as my surface 3, so I feel comfortable with that 3:2 ratio. The build quality on the pixel is awesome as well. Again like my surface. There are lots of things to consider. ha ha. But I would probably go with the Toshiba so I can buy both the chromebook and priv at the same time outright.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I own the 2014 Toshiba Chromebook 1080 HD version (B3340), and it has a truly excellent, IPS panel screen. The 2015 Toshiba model has a very similar, possibly slightly better screen. You won't be disappointed with the screen quality if you buy the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015) C3300 (Celeron) or 3350 (Core i3).

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes I think you are right. Core i3 version would be the one I go with. That way if I am not liking the Chromebook, I am not out a bunch of money. If I do like it, I can move the Toshiba and get into a pixel....somehow. Its not available in Canada. I will have to buy one off ebay etc.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Bought my daughter the toshiba chromebook 2 cb35 c3300 for a Christmas present. Can't wait to see how it performs. It's gotten very good reviews on many sites. Almost hoping she dislikes it so I can have it(evil)

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes I think you are right. Core i3 version would be the one I go with. That way if I am not liking the Chromebook, I am not out a bunch of money. If I do like it, I can move the Toshiba and get into a pixel....somehow. Its not available in Canada. I will have to buy one off ebay etc.

Did you end up getting it, Steve? If so, how are you liking it?

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
No, I am going to ship a pixel 2 up to me from florida this summer.

There's one other option that is a step up from the Toshiba Chromebook 2 2015 edition but still much cheaper than the Google Chromebook Pixel 2, and that is the Dell Chromebook 13. The Dell is available in various configurations (Celeron, Core i3, Core i5, touchscreen or non-touchscreen), has an IPS panel (like the Toshiba), and has 1920 x 1080 resolution (like the Toshiba). The biggest differences between the Dell and Toshiba is the Dell has much better build quality and considerably better battery life, topping even the Pixel 2 in the latter category. To my knowledge, the Dell isn't available at Amazon; you can buy it at the Google Store but your best bet is to buy it direct from Dell.

I just received the Dell Chromebook 13, and I'm really liking the device. It is a definite step up build quality-wise from the Toshiba 2014 model I own (and also really like). To my knowledge, the 2015 Toshiba has similar build quality as the 2014 Toshiba (though the newer model does have a backlit keyboard, something that is also available on the Dell but is not available on the 2014 Toshiba).

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the dell, and as much as I wanted to like it, I cannot buy a dell. I had a huge issue with them last year. I had a 3500 dollar order with them for my wife and I, and told them I need it before a date that was 2 months away, I kept calling and checking on it and finally, I told them to cancel it....They then, shipped it to me the next day over night.....at which point I refused the shipment and demanded a refund. That's not how a company should do business.

I was stuck with getting two asus vivotabs for our trip, and they only lasted about 6 months or so. Now we are using two surface 3s and we LOVE them. I will only pay for premium devices now. I know I can get a pixel 2 overnighted to me direct from google when I goto florida this july....maybe even a pixel three at that point....hmmmm. The premium price for the premium device is well worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress