Trying to recover contacts/pictures

kwynia

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my galaxy s3 and it laded flat on its face. No cracks, but it did break something. It vibrates and when I press the power button Samsung is the only thing that shows up and then it turns off. If i plug it into the charger the battery logo appears with a loading circle inside but then it turns off again. I was told to try and turn it on without the battery and just plugged into the charger but all that happens is the red charging light comes on for a moment then shuts off. I attempted to get into recovery mode and I get as far as the blue text coming up but then it shuts off again. It seems like to only thing I can do is get to the download screen but I have no idea what to do next. I have a new phone but would really really like to try and save my contacts and pictures off the s3.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on?

When you boot into Download mode does it stay on that screen?

Unless the phone is booting normally you won't be able to get anything off of it (unless you have your pictures stored on an SD card). Assuming that you have all of your contacts setup as Google contacts they should sync with the new phone once you activate it and configure your Google account. You could login to your Google account via a browser and check to see if they're all there.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

kwynia

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on?

--No, nothing happens. I did try leaving the battery out for 20 minutes then put it in and the flash on the back of the camera lit up and went off, that was odd.

When you boot into Download mode does it stay on that screen?

--Yes, I have the option to hit "volume key up" to enter download mode and it will go to the next screen. When I hit "volume key down" to restart nothing happens, it just shuts off.

Unless the phone is booting normally you won't be able to get anything off of it (unless you have your pictures stored on an SD card). Assuming that you have all of your contacts setup as Google contacts they should sync with the new phone once you activate it and configure your Google account.

--I didn't have an SD card and my contacts were not synced with google. I plan on doing both with my new phone :)

Thank you so much for your reply, I really didn't have much hope but thought I would at least try.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, since the phone does boot into Download mode you could try reloading the firmware - you have nothing to lose at this point. It's POSSIBLE that you could recover your data, but there's no guarantees.

Do you know what version firmware you had on the phone? 4.3?

If you want to try loading the firmware yourself let us know and we'll try to help. Just provide the model number/carrier and we can point you to some instructions.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

kwynia

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I also figured I had nothing to lose so I cracked that sucker open. A little square piece has fallen off the interior circuit board. I think I know where it goes and I tried gluing it (I know you are probably rolling your eyes) with just a teensy bit of super glue but it has not made the slightest difference good or bad. It is a small square with silver (magnetized possibly) edges. There are several of these firmly in place on the board. I tried unsuccessfully to find a diagram so I could compare. I really do appreciate your help and may attempt seeking professional repair as my next option.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Whatever fell off can't be that important if the phone still boots

Heh heh - but seriously...that's obviously not a good thing; nor would I recommend gluing things back in place - depending on what it is and if it gets misaligned, it could damage the phone even further.

It's obviously your money, but if you already have a new phone I wouldn't spend a dime on it. You could try reloading the firmware and if you get your data off - great; if it doesn't work or make any difference - oh well, we learn from experience (usually bad experience).

In the future there's apps that you can use to backup your information so that this doesn't happen again.

kwynia

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
What the hey! I'll give it a shot, us cellular sch-r530. And I believe I was running 4.3 although I am not 100% sure...

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That figures - I can only find firmware for the SCH-r530C (Cricket) and SCH-r530M (Metro PCS) versions of the phone.

Your only option would be to use the Kies software on your computer to reload the firmware, and that may wipe out the data in the process. Sorry to get your hopes up.

kwynia

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
No worries, thanks for trying ;) And thanks for everything else too. What a great forum, I'm sure I will come back for help again (hopefully not anytime soon ;) )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non