Coming from another OS???

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
There have been a few threads talking our fav features and such and some griping about people not knowing the manual ;) (be honest you didn't read it the first time either) BUT I I know many people are beginning to switch or at least try Android for the first time.WELCOME :) So instead of whining about the lack of knowledge on little things I want to start this thread to let new users be that ...NEW... feel free to ask a silly question or make a iOS or BB reference if you need, and hopefully the community of users can assist you.

Reactions: barrycinti

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the main thing people fail to realize is that you aren't stuck with stock features a majority of the time with unrooted Android phones unlike stock iPhones or bb devices.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The ability to customize everything is by far the greatest thing to most users, but keep in mind new users may not even know how to being doing this.... (and the power users giggle)

Need A Beach

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I will post the first stupid question of the day. Go easy on me :) I have read that the Charge comes with a lot of bloatware that I probably won't ever use. Short of rooting the phone is there a way to at least hide the icons on the screen if the bloatware can't be uninstalled?

I'm coming from a BB and if I couldn't uninstall it, could I at least hide the icons so I didn't have to see it? I need to get used to Android before I will fee comfortable with some of the modifications, custom ROMs and other things that many of you do.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
simple answer No. that si a great feature on the BB but even though there are ways to make the bloatware less invasive it is still there... :(
good question though

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I will post the first stupid question of the day. Go easy on me :) I have read that the Charge comes with a lot of bloatware that I probably won't ever use. Short of rooting the phone is there a way to at least hide the icons on the screen if the bloatware can't be uninstalled?

I'm coming from a BB and if I couldn't uninstall it, could I at least hide the icons so I didn't have to see it? I need to get used to Android before I will fee comfortable with some of the modifications, custom ROMs and other things that many of you do.

One way is to use LauncherPro to hide them.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Something to note is that some of the "bloat ware" is actually just placeholders for the app. Like a download icon. Not everything is always installed.
and good point they can be hidden by a lot of 3rd part launchers

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So this is more about the Dock application than Android, but I can't figure out how to get to home screens while on the dock. I can hit exit to get out of the main dock page, but then if I'm not at a home screen I can't find any way to get to home other than lots and lots of the hardware return key. Any ideas?

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
ok:
Here is a noob question. Is there a way to make the background black without rooting the phone?
If you root the phone how do you go back to stock? Do a factory reset?
Thanks for starting this thread.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok:
Here is a noob question. Is there a way to make the background black without rooting the phone?
If you root the phone how do you go back to stock? Do a factory reset?
Thanks for starting this thread.

you want a black background, just find a black picture or make one with a paint program and use the black picture as your wall paper.

if you root and want to go back to stock you need to delete a couple files and then do a factory reset.

the process of rooting is
putting files on the phone > use an exploit to gain access permission to the sytem > move files into system

unrooting is just deleting of the files that you placed on the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38