Data Connection Problem

Nidaja

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had the charge since yesterday.

Today, I have simultaneous 3G icon AND WiFi icons, for almost a minute before 3G goes away, only to come back again.....both of them.

WiFi is on, I'm at work where I only use WiFi with my phone.

How can this be? How can I be pulling data from both simultaneously?

WarrenK

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I dont use Juice Defender and have these network issues, i am forced to go onto CDMA as LTE which was rock solid for 2 weeks is now non existent!

zeus_r6

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't use juice defender either...the part that sucks is downloads stall out then never restart because of this network crap. I never had these issues with my incredible

Posted via Tapatalk app for Android and iPhone

SpectreOne3

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of those with connection problems. Just this morning it has lost connection four times. I am in a 4G coverage area, although in my office it switches from 3G to 4G often.

The connection issue is really annoying.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife has this issue on her TB all the time. This is not a Charge issue its a VZW issue. I have had my Charge for 3 weeks now and the only time I had this issue is for the 30 mins I had juice defender installed.

nsdjoe

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I often will be stuck in 3G (despite being in downtown Chicago with full LTE strength under normal circumstances), and have to cycle in and out of airplane mode a few times to get it to switch to 4G. One out of maybe every five times this happens I have to reboot the phone entirely. A few times it's just been NO data until I reboot.

It's horribly inconvenient and I hope VZ comes up with a fix.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was reading some stuff on this earlier today. There appears to be an issue with switching from radio to wifi and back again. it seems to take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes for the radio to fire back up.

Yep, it falls under the whole "known issue and will fix in the next release" umbrella.

Personally. I have a VERY strong 4g signal and havent seen it drop yet. The only reason why I looked it up is because I turned the 4g off to see what kind of effect it would have on the battery. Then it wouldnt turn back on. Researched it to make sure it wasn't the ROMs fault (ABv5)

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
No juice defender but same thing here. I can usually switch mobile data off and on to get it to work but sometimes a full reboot is needed.

PeterDLai

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I get random dropouts in connectivity, all while on 4G (with the 4G LTE icon displayed prominently throughout the dropout), which seems to be less common (most people seem to complain about loss of connectivity with a coinciding switch to 3G/1X or with the 4G icon disappearing, not so in my case). It seems with more recent radios, the connectivity will eventually come back within a few minutes without me needing to do anything, but it is annoying nonetheless when it happens. If I want a more immediate fix, I can toggle it to CDMA mode and back to LTE automatic and 4G almost always comes back right away and works immediately.

The Anandtech review of this phone mentions the same exact issue as me, and the reviewer also told me it was something that he only experienced on the Charge, not on the Thunderbolt/Revolution (which he also reviewed).

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I get random dropouts in connectivity, all while on 4G (with the 4G LTE icon displayed prominently throughout the dropout), which seems to be less common (most people seem to complain about loss of connectivity with a coinciding switch to 3G/1X or with the 4G icon disappearing, not so in my case). It seems with more recent radios, the connectivity will eventually come back within a few minutes without me needing to do anything, but it is annoying nonetheless when it happens. If I want a more immediate fix, I can toggle it to CDMA mode and back to LTE automatic and 4G almost always comes back right away and works immediately.

The Anandtech review of this phone mentions the same exact issue as me, and the reviewer also told me it was something that he only experienced on the Charge, not on the Thunderbolt/Revolution (which he also reviewed).
I have been on ABv5 since day one it became available and have had no issues with a data connection til' the past week...now I rarely get a data connection! At first a hot restart would get a data connection but now nothing and its when Im on CDMA auto and 4G both...EXTREMLY FRUSTRATING! I wiped everything and it improved for a while but after a few hours loss of connection AGAIN!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

got a link for that? i have listen to a few of the reviews by AZ and havent heard the Charge mentioned with the TB...I am interested in hearing it

PeterDLai

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
got a link for that? i have listen to a few of the reviews by AZ and havent heard the Charge mentioned with the TB...I am interested in hearing it

The part where the reviewer talks about the issue is on this page. The quote below is the actual excerpt from that page.

Brian Klug said:
My only complaint is that every once in a while, the LTE data session sometimes stalls briefly – sometimes for a a few seconds, other times for a few minutes. When that happens, you’ll see the uplink green arrow blink, but no orange downlink arrow. Rebooting the device fixes things.

I e-mailed him asking if he experienced this issue with the Thunderbolt/Revolution (also reviewed on Anandtech, linked them as well) and he said he didn't.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an old post but I'm starting to have these issues. Mostly noticing it when trying to fire up my Sirius app in the mornings. My routine is to activate Wifi when I get home from work, then during sleep i have wifi & bluetooth deactivated but I never change data. It just stays on. Next morning I try to fire up Sirius and get a data connection problem that only a reboot will fix. Seems to be getting worse.

h_cl

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Most of my headaches are a result of the 'dual case' incipio hard case I bought at Verizon. With it on I have intermittent data connection and drop call issues. Just now for example, I couldn't make a solid connection for a mobile hotspot. As soon as I take it off I am problem free (and on 4g!) for an entire 60mi commute in and out of LA.

My girlfriend has the gel case from Verizon and I suspect even that might have an effect (not nearly as bad). The phone will show up and down action and a strong signal strength but I think its dropping data packets.

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I get random dropouts in connectivity, all while on 4G (with the 4G LTE icon displayed prominently throughout the dropout), which seems to be less common (most people seem to complain about loss of connectivity with a coinciding switch to 3G/1X or with the 4G icon disappearing, not so in my case). .

Here is a typical day in the life of my Charge

Here is an interesting story I would like to know more about , let me click the link:)
5tlJN.png

30 seconds of loading later

W5auI.png

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im really starting to hate this phone.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Dude, look up in the right hand corner. You have bluetooth but no cell connection. That is the circle with the x. What really sucks is when you have full 4g and get the message.

h_cl

May 22, 2010
Visit site
It does it with or without the bluetooth on.

I have the same problem every day in the same spot. It only occurs in the afternoon and only on 4g. It will show 4/5 bars 4g but either I see no data being transmitted or the phone loops the same up/down pattern over and over. When I drop down to 3g (sometimes the phone does this) I'm good to go. When I move a few miles from that area I get solid 4g again. I'm optimistic that Verizon will fix this; its not just a problem for the Charge.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Most of my headaches are a result of the 'dual case' incipio hard case I bought at Verizon. With it on I have intermittent data connection and drop call issues. Just now for example, I couldn't make a solid connection for a mobile hotspot. As soon as I take it off I am problem free (and on 4g!) for an entire 60mi commute in and out of LA.

My girlfriend has the gel case from Verizon and I suspect even that might have an effect (not nearly as bad). The phone will show up and down action and a strong signal strength but I think its dropping data packets.

Wish that were the case for most of us. Mine is naked and I get frequent 'no data connectivity'. I think in the vast majority of cases it has nothing to do with the case.

I also don't expect a fix for this ever as VZW is not to be heard on this at all. Only one post from a VZW employee said 'we're aware of the issue and working on a fix with Samsung'. It aint happenin guys. The only 'fix' is a newly designed phone IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress