Should I go to a DNA cheaply or jump to the One?

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
DNA'ers please advise. I have the Rezound now and I am out of contract. I looked at the DNA a while ago and short of the battery/No SD card stuff it looked like the DNA was a hobbled upgrade of the Rezound. Now I'm not sure If I should go for the big bucks and get the One out of contract or buy someones DNA. I get terrible cell service where I live, can never hold a call. How is the reception on the DNA? I'm reluctant to get a One (its all about the front speakers LOL) and not have it work here as well as the Rezound barely is. FYI my friends GS3 cant get any calls here. Any thoughts would be helpful or things I will hate about the DNA too. Thanks in advance :)

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Im on a fringe area for service, but I have 4g without issue with the DNA. Battery isnt really an issue for me with the DNA as I can still see a day or more with heavy use. If you can live without sense 5 for a bit longer, the DNA is an amazing phone. If you need cutting edge, get the ONE. If I had to do it again now with the ONE being out, I would still choose the DNA over the ONE. The styling and wireless charging win me over enough. I envy the ONEs speakers though. In a perfect world, we would get the Butterfly S here which is the DNA and ONE mashed into 1 phone really. DNA looks with ONE speakers. Smartphone perfection for me.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I love my dna, and the wireless charging is a huge bonus over the one. But accessories are lacking. No extended battery cases and such. The one has way more available items, the one is more popular and then it's all about how much green you mind parting with for retail price of the one.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
DNA- wireless charging, bigger screen

One- Boom speakers, aluminum body, 32gb

If you haven't owned the DNA the two advantages I listed you won't even notice. The screen size is negligible anyway but it is a difference. The 3 advantages of the One though are pretty major I think

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just dropped the DNA for the One.
I love the DNA, best phone I have ever owned... till now.
My DNA had fantastic reception and the battery was very good. The 5" display to die for. Build quality is fantastic. Hated the 16GB limitations and the Verizon exclusivity that limited support and accessories.
After 2 days with the One the screen size has become a non issue. The battery is noticeably better than the DNA and having an additional 16GB (32 total) is very nice. I hit the 16GB wall on the DNA a while back and found myself having to periodically clean apps, pics, etc. out.
If buying the DNA keeps you off contract and keeps your unlimited data.... do it.
The One is just part of the evolution. Yes, it is better and it should be...(better being relative and very subjective). A 2013 Corvette is better than a 1999 Corvette. But a 1999 Corvette will fundamentally do everything a newer one will.
The One is visually stunning, it feels like butter in the hand. The camera simply rocks and the speakers.... Oh the speakers!
I got the One because it's the next big thing.... it's a sickness. Do I do any more with the One than the DNA, nope. But I dig doing the same old thing on the next big thing. And yes I will get the "Two" or the "One Max" when it comes out.
In the end you can't go wrong. I appreciate the One more having owned the awesome DNA.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just dropped the DNA for the One.
I love the DNA, best phone I have ever owned... till now.
My DNA had fantastic reception and the battery was very good. The 5" display to die for. Build quality is fantastic. Hated the 16GB limitations and the Verizon exclusivity that limited support and accessories.
After 2 days with the One the screen size has become a non issue. The battery is noticeably better than the DNA and having an additional 16GB (32 total) is very nice. I hit the 16GB wall on the DNA a while back and found myself having to periodically clean apps, pics, etc. out.
If buying the DNA keeps you off contract and keeps your unlimited data.... do it.
The One is just part of the evolution. Yes, it is better and it should be...(better being relative and very subjective). A 2013 Corvette is better than a 1999 Corvette. But a 1999 Corvette will fundamentally do everything a newer one will.
The One is visually stunning, it feels like butter in the hand. The camera simply rocks and the speakers.... Oh the speakers!
I got the One because it's the next big thing.... it's a sickness. Do I do any more with the One than the DNA, nope. But I dig doing the same old thing on the next big thing. And yes I will get the "Two" or the "One Max" when it comes out.
In the end you can't go wrong. I appreciate the One more having owned the awesome DNA.

Thanks BB. For me its all about those speakers LOL. I use a lot of speakerphone so its a big draw. As far as contract and unlimited data Ive barely even gotten over 1 gig let alone 2 gig so I dont know why I feel the need to hold onto the unlimited data at any cost. I guess its a Man thing, I may need it someday LOLOL. Ive lusted after this phone for ages and it was a lot easier when it wasnt available! After the Thunderbolt I would never jump on a phone as soon as it comes out ever again so I have time to circle back and forth on this. Especially with a software upgrade due ni September which will arrive in December, dont know if I can survive any more of those. I think it might depend on what I can get the DNA for too. If I can get it cheap enough I can try it and see if I can hold off on the one. I really have no reason to upgrade from the Rezound so I need a good justification...

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
DNA'ers please advise. I have the Rezound now and I am out of contract. I looked at the DNA a while ago and short of the battery/No SD card stuff it looked like the DNA was a hobbled upgrade of the Rezound. Now I'm not sure If I should go for the big bucks and get the One out of contract or buy someones DNA. I get terrible cell service where I live, can never hold a call. How is the reception on the DNA? I'm reluctant to get a One (its all about the front speakers LOL) and not have it work here as well as the Rezound barely is. FYI my friends GS3 cant get any calls here. Any thoughts would be helpful or things I will hate about the DNA too. Thanks in advance :)

Get the HTC One. Because the phone is widely distributed on multiple carriers, support for the phone is much higher than the DNA. With a much larger developer base, the HTC One will have longevity in the market versus the DNA, which has none. I have the DNA and wish I had waited to get a nice phone that had mass market support, which leads to really awesome innovative after market modifications, such as official builds of paranoid android and cyanogenmod. The Droid DNA is a great phone, but there is not nearly enough market appeal to really unlock all the cool things that could be done with a phone this nice and powerful. A great example would be looking at all of the cool things people have done with their Nexus 4 home screens. Sure, someone may be able to replicate their cool themes on the DNA, but due to the complete lack in market share, nobody who develops the really cool home screens will post videos on how to make your phone look as cool as the Nexus 4 home screens.

Get the HTC One; it is a better deal based on the overwhelming market support.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually, if you take a peak at the CM10.2 Dev thread at XDA, Invisblek appears to be willing to become the CM maintainer for the DNA, which will give it official status.

Flyhalf, Chad, Beauty, Newt and others have been rocking the Dev scene though.

Posted via Android Central App

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, if you take a peak at the CM10.2 Dev thread at XDA, Invisblek appears to be willing to become the CM maintainer for the DNA, which will give it official status.

Flyhalf, Chad, Beauty, Newt and others have been rocking the Dev scene though.

Yeah, but it is not officially supported right now and the phone is already being phased out of existence by Verizon. The HTC One already has enough of a following that the bootloader will be unlocked shortly despite Verizon finally locking the bootloader on the HTC One yesterday.

The One is a much more practical purchase. It already has a better following than the DNA. Not to mention better battery life.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If I was choosing between the two phones today, I would get the One, because I believe that getting the latest and greatest insures added longevity for that device. However, and I've told this story before, I originally picked up a barely used DNA after my Bolt started having issues to hold onto my unlimited data and to tide me over until the S4 or some other flagship came out. Great decision on my part, even if I didn't know it at the time. It really is a great device, and I wouldn't trade my DNA for any phone available right now, including the One. The speakers are definitely intriguing, and of course I would always like to have more storage but it just isn't enough for me to upgrade. With all of that said, I just don't think you can go wrong with either phone. If cost is a factor, the DNA is great. If not, I'm sure the One will be great. It's a win-win!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I got the DNA in February. I didn't know a thing about the HTC One, for me, it was a choice between the note 2 and the DNA. I chose the DNA because of beats audio, the display, and the size. For me, 5" is the sweet spot. If given the choice between the dna and the one, I would probably choose the dna because it is a better value. I bought it for $199 on contract, but they are pretty cheap off contract now a days.

The pros: it has got a gorgeous screen. It's fast, lightweight, and has great build quality. Even though it's plastic, it doesn't feel cheap.

Cons: it does have a 16gb limit, although I'm still 7 gb out from it. The battery is on the smaller side. It is decent, will get you about 4 to 5 hours of on screen time. I have to charge throughout the day because I spend so much time on my phone. Some had a Sim issue. I haven't seen it since rooting and roming, but sometimes I get a preparing Sim message, which I feel may be the same thing.

The speaker is nice and loud, fwiw.

hmfoster

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The DNA is super. As for the reception issue they make wireless 3 watt amplifiers that will help. I have one in the car and it is a very big help. They also make a version for the home with an outside antenna and a wireless antenna for inside. This might help your situation

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from the dna to the one. Everything is better except for the screen size. Was surprised by this as the difference is only. 3 inches, but it is noticeable.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I messed with both side by side a month or two ago and I was shocked how small the ONE felt compared. Kinda odd. Dont think I could move away from the DNAs form factor overall. Its perfect size honestly.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Good to see others are as happy w their DNA as I am w mine. The DNA was intended to be passed on to my wife as soon as my upgrade became available (used hers) but I can honestly say I'll have a very hard time giving up on this thing. New phones are always tempting but thus far I can gladly skip the One. If I didn't have the DNA I'd likely still hold out and wait for a Butterfly 2 model, G2, Note 3 or if rumors were to come out early enough big red might get it: the Nexus 5. The One is a beautiful device but from a big red phone lineup perspective seems a mere stop gap.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Go the Verizon One forum, ask if anyone is disappointed about making the switch.....
As mentioned, loved the DNA but after three days with the One I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My buddy went from a DNA to a one. Had a case and getting out of the car it fell out. Now has a very sweet dent that is driving him nuts lol. After the dent he wants to go back to the DNA lol.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been debating getting rid of my dna for a one for quite some time now. I just got notification from Verizon that I have an upgrade available, and if it wasn't for the Moto X coming, I'd probably have gotten the One on the VZW launch day... This phone is treating me well though, so I don't necessarily need to get rid of it

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty