Couple noob questions....

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I had a couple questions about the Android OS that I know will be simple for most, but I haven't found clear answers for (and a couple I haven't gotten to yet :) !!):

The backup assistant I have seen mentioned...is it like using SPB Backup on a WM device in that it will save a mirror image of your device (PIM info, apps, configuration.....) or something different?

I have downloaded a theme or two to see what they look like and I was wondering if creating a custom theme is as easy as changing the images found in a downloaded one and saving it to the Incredible (would love to make a Doctor Who theme), or if it needs to be rooted or something (If there is a self-skinning instructional post/thread that would be GREAT!!!)?

Is it true the new OS (2.1 I think) allows the lock screen to use different gestured (AKA...side-to-side) to unlock, change ringer/mute function....?

They are the questions I am dwelling on at the moment, I am sure I will think of more though!!! Thanks for now

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks NVR2ND....so that must come pre-installed on the Incredible then! Is there any full backup app like I mentioned earlier made for Android OS?

ushneb

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious about the backup manager too. But when I had an Eris there was nothing that came with the phone. I assumed there wasn't anything like DM for Blackberry's.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
there isn't any one app i've come across that will back up EVERYTHING for you.

once the phone is rooted and a seperate boot loader is put on, you can make a nandroid backup which is an image of your phone.

that's the closest i've seen to a comprehensive backup

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info Adiliyo, and in all my reading (coupled with my WM experience) I follow what your saying pretty well, but (please excuse my newness here) What would be a good estimate of when the Incredible would be rooted (I know from dumping + cooking ROMs each is different, so there may not be an answer to that)?

What is/how is this done: "seperate boot loader is put on"? Is a nandroid backup a backup file you keep on your device to do a restore on the fly, or a file kept on the PC for use at home?

Thanks for the teaching here, I am really starting to get the hang of Android already (I think LOL)!!!

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
just a guess but it sounds like it's a file that's on your computer that would allow you to just restore your phone back to the way it was when you made that image. Typically that's what it means anyway...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info Adiliyo, and in all my reading (coupled with my WM experience) I follow what your saying pretty well, but (please excuse my newness here) What would be a good estimate of when the Incredible would be rooted (I know from dumping + cooking ROMs each is different, so there may not be an answer to that)?

What is/how is this done: "seperate boot loader is put on"? Is a nandroid backup a backup file you keep on your device to do a restore on the fly, or a file kept on the PC for use at home?

Thanks for the teaching here, I am really starting to get the hang of Android already (I think LOL)!!!

a seperate boot loader (which is called a recovery image on android, which i couldn't think of the name for earlier) basically replaces the stock recovery partition (which is generally used when you wipe the device) with one that can load a custom ROM for you or backup the current ROM.

it's generally done either by putting a file (sometimes an update.zip) onto the phone and telling the phone to flash that, which replaces the stock recovery with a custom one.

the nandroid backups can be made via the recovery image and are by default stored in a /nandroid folder on the sd card (or i guess in the incedible's case on the internal memory)

they can be kept on the device if you want to go back and forth between ROMs for some reason, and/or placed on your computer for safe keeping.

generally as a sequence, root is attained first, and a recovery image comes after

as far as a time frame, it's really going to depend on how many people are trying to achieve root and how well HTC has locked the phone down.

the droid took a couple months iirc, and the eris only got root about a month ago, so it really varies.

my feeling is with the amount of people who will be (hopefully) working on this, we can get root in about the same time as the droid did.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about the backup manager too. But when I had an Eris there was nothing that came with the phone. I assumed there wasn't anything like DM for Blackberry's.

I don't know if Back-up Assistant is pre-installed on the phones now or not, but it's been my experience in the past three years that I've been using Back-up Assistant, that it doesn't come installed on the phone, it's an app that you have to load to your phone.

You have to sign up for Verizon online - whether you use the online services or not for anything else. Once you're signed up with Verizon - you can load Back-up Assistant for free (don't even worry about the charge it says is associated with it - they won't charge you).

Once you load it on your existing phone - it then saves all your contacts on the Verizon servers. You can also manage all your contacts online through Verizon if you'd like (I never really have). Any time you add a new contact, Back-up Assistant will run a back-up at a pre-set time (mine's set for like 1 in the morning, I think).

Then when you get your new phone, you load Back-up Assistant on that, and run the app, and it takes all your contacts from the Verizon servers and loads it on the new phone.

It gives ME peace of mind if my phone were ever to die or become lost or stolen, I still have all my contacts ready to load onto a new device. I LOVE Back-up Assistant! :D

buya97

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Have a noob question about online pre-order, I got my confirmation email last monday, but everytime I check the status, it just says that the item hasnt been processed yet. Has anyone else come along this screen when checking the progress of your phone or should I call Verizon? Just wondering, thanks everyone for all of the help you have provided to us new Android users

naga

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Have a noob question about online pre-order, I got my confirmation email last monday, but everytime I check the status, it just says that the item hasnt been processed yet. Has anyone else come along this screen when checking the progress of your phone or should I call Verizon? Just wondering, thanks everyone for all of the help you have provided to us new Android users

It will keep saying that until wednesday (unless they screw up as they have done for a select few), at that point it should update to a shipped status barring any issues with your account in which case they would likely call or email you to try to resolve it.

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm with rabernet in that I love having the confidence of knowing my contacts are easily recovered in case of emergency. I have always used SPB Backup to recover my entire device (really fantastic in case of a replacement unit, emergency hard reset or just if you make a fatal error in tweaking), and would love a similar app for Android, but I guess the bottom line is that this is a phone and in case of emergency the contacts + phone numbers are of primary importance to recover!!

buya97

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
question about data/text for verizon...first time getting a verizon smartphone coming off of a envy2. When dealing with apps (ie AIM), will messages off this app go towards data usage, text usage, or both?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
question about data/text for verizon...first time getting a verizon smartphone coming off of a envy2. When dealing with apps (ie AIM), will messages off this app go towards data usage, text usage, or both?

AIM uses data, not texts like in some dumb/feature phones.

buya97

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
AIM uses data, not texts like in some dumb/feature phones.

great, the dude I talked to on the phone was trying to tell me that it used both data and text...didnt seem right, should have just came here first, I get the right info in half the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress