Power button annoyance

danielk

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of those who don't have to leave the phone on all the time, so it's powered off a lot.

Now there are 2 things that really bug me and I'd like to know if anyone has found workarounds for them...

1) On all the other phones I've had, you have to long press the power button to turn it on. After that you can short press it (or press any other button) to see if it is already powered up. On the Incredible, a short press turns it on; it is VERY EASY to inadvertantly press the power button, and now you phone is on for hours without you knowing it (unless you get a call or a text and then you hear it, and then go 'Oh <insert expletive here>, it got turned on again!').

which brings me to...

2) How the blazes can you tell if the phone is on or simply in 'sleep' mode? When it is in 'sleep' mode, there is absolutely no indication of such. I suppose this is a good thing to conserve battery, but not when you don't want the phone on at all consuming battery power (see complaint 1 above).

<rhetorical>HTC designed the phone to long press to get to the 'power off' screen; how come they didn't apply the same logic to powering it up?</rhetorical>

Now don't get me wrong, this is bar none the nicest phone I've every had and my first smart phone. It took a few days to get use to; the more I use it, the more I like it. But I'd really like to know if there is an app out there that can change this (undesireable) behavior.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know of no such app. Sounds like one of those things you might get used to over time and have fewer and fewer inadvertent power ups.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you really need to have the phone powered off and do not want it coming on just pull the battery. You can put it in airplane mode if you doing this to keep you phone from receiving messages or try to save your battery life.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hah, I've done that many times. Wondering if I turned it off or if it's just asleep, and there's no way to tell. It would be kind of nice if clicking the trackpad woke it up but didn't turn it on, or if (as you said) it required a long press on the power button to turn on.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
There is an app that will let you turn the screen on by hitting the volume buttons not sure of the name that may help you guys. Just search the market.

danielk

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I know of no such app. Sounds like one of those things you might get used to over time and have fewer and fewer inadvertent power ups.
Yup, I'm doing just that. I'm finding that I'm being more cognizant of how I am handling the phone.

Pulling the battery (as suggested in another post) is just not convenient as the phone is in a shell/holster so I'd have to remove the shell, the case back and the battery, then put it all back together. Then go thru the same thing when I need it again...that will get old REAL fast.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The App you are looking for is called "NO LOCK". I had the same problem you had, not knowing if my phone was on or off. With No Lock it serves two purposes.
1)It will unlock the screen automatically when you turn the phone on or when you awake it from the sleep mode. You no longer need to swipe down on the screen to unlock the phone.
2)You are able to wake up your phone from the sleep mode by either pressing the power button, by pressing the volume key or by pressing the track pad (this one didn't always work for me).
So now if you are unsure if your phone is powered up or not just hit the volume keys or track pad and you will know.

No Lock - Android app on AppBrain

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I like no lock. I use it when am on the phone for long periods of time. You could also set your screen to not turn off but that wastes a lot of battery juice

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
ive found a this an annoyance too. specifically when i shut it off for a night and cant remember if i did or not. so i click the power button, and then its already off. and it starts back up. blah so annoying but i dont run into that to much.

gruss

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Airplane mode is what I would do...uses hardly any battery in that mode. A boot up probably consumes as much power as a couple hours of standby in airplane mode then you woud just have a widget to toggle.

sent from my phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty