Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED!

Bigredcm0

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
So were you getting the Low Memory notification with that amount and followed the steps and it worked the first time? I've tried it 3 times now and no results :(

Bigredcm0

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I've got it down to 144MB now. I'm not sure what else I can clear. Tried the reboot and wipe cache 3 times and each time it starts up again and immediatetly comes up with the Low Space notification.

Beyond a full reset, is there anything you guys can recommend?

Admodieus

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one who isn't getting the update after trying this method? When I go into Recovery, I do get a message that says:

"E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command"

But then if I select Clear Cache, it seems to work fine. Still no update prompt though. Any suggestions?

thomase00

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
After wiping the cache partition, my emmc and sdcard partition won't mount. However, if I connect via USB to my PC, I can still access files on both - each comes up as a separate removable disk drive. Under Settings -> SD & phone storage, but "SD Card" and "Internal storage" show Unavailable and the "Mount SD Card" is greyed out.

HeathWala

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This seems to have worked for me, but I was spooked that I might have goofed it. I actually had the 4.08 update.zip on my SD card from earlier in the day when I was toying with the idea of updating that way. It installed the update from there (no system update message upon boot - just the congratulation message that the update was complete), but regardless, it worked! Thanks so much!

cheeseman057

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to do this when the phone says its during the failed install rebooting? or can I do it even though I haven't downloaded the second ota? (I have) just haven't done it again yet).

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I only have 174mb used from the phones memory and had the low space error whenever i tried to install. Then i deleted the data from my messages and it installed just fine. Might be worth a shot.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Giskard you are AMAZING! Thank you so much. I too, after following your steps, STILL got a message saying I had too little space to install (despite removing tons of apps), so I removed some more and forced the download again by changing the date. This time, again, it wouldn't reboot, so I had to follow all the steps again in recovery mode, then force the download again with the date, and THEN finally it installed! It's amazing one has to go to the boards to find answers that Verizon and HTC can't provide. Why don't they have YOU working at HTC? Your answer was a heck of a lot better than HTC's "you just have to wait," approach....Now, I just hope the phone runs smoothly now, with no more issues.

pegleg#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...it took about four or five times of forcing the reboot until it finally worked. The phone does seem to be really fast now. Thanks for solving a puzzle that the people making the $$$ wanted to ignore. This whole process does make me think twice before buying another HTC product.

rfreschner

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll add my thanks to the others listed here. Why the 2nd GB update had the size troubles when the 1st didn't doesn't make any sense to me, but at least it's installed now. Hopefully, that will resolve my HTC sync problem also. Thanks again!

Rick

Ryp11

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It finally worked!! I had to uninstall about half my phone but it worked. Thanks to giskard and VZWRocks for all the help!!! Does anyone know if this will fix the annoying Low on space error messages? Thanks!:)

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you x 1000!

The day before yesterday I installed 4.06 and immediately had a slew of problems. Yesterday when I tried to install 4.08 I got the low memory can't install error. I struggled with finding a way to trigger the download again after I cleared out almost all my apps and when I finally got it I never got past the rebooting now message.

I love my phone but the last 48 hours have been hellish! It was so bad I was considering a trip to the Verizon store (and an inevitable factory reset).

Late last night I found this post and you SAVED me! Thank you so much for giving me back the phone I love!

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the same memory issue. After you deleted your apps, did you clear your cache? How did you get the phone to try re-installing the patch? Just follow the steps again outlined in this OP?

Thanks!

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
NoMoreBlackberry,

Go into Settings/Date & Time, uncheck Automatic and change the date forward, to trigger the update again. The post says to set the date to exactly a year forward, but that didn't work for me, as the phone just reset itself to the current date, despite Automatic being unchecked. What I had to do was change the date to either 1 MONTH forward, or to 1/1/12, and those dates worked and stayed put for me. Then just go and check for updates again. the 1st time, it will still say your system is up to date. Get out of it, and then check again...the update will be there.

Once, it's installed and restarted, and running, don't forget to go back to Date & Time and re-check Automatic to set the correct date and time again on your phone.

gamebird

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate the info!! Does anybody know HOW MUCH disc space we need to have the second update load? I've already been rejected once.... :-(

lparsons

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Giskard,

Just joined this forum after reading your post about getting past the Gingerbread low memory issue and forcing the phone into the new build update. I've tried your method twice and can't really think of any other apps to uninstall that I haven't already moved to my SD card. I have no texts in my messages and I've deleted my MS Exchange account. My current internal storage use is down to about 155MB. Any suggestions on things I could clear out? Or methods for making this work?

I assume you are getting the error stating that you don't have enough space to install the update after it reboots? If that's the case, the only thing I know to do is to clear out applications and the application data cache (different that my original post). Here are a few things to try:

1. Move applications to the SD card. App2SD is a free app that will help quite a bit with this.
  2. Clear out the application caches. You can do this one by one, but App2SD will also let you do this in one quick step.
  3. From the home screen, press "menu", select "settings" -> "Applications" -> "Manage Applications" and go to the "All" tab. Wait a bit for the phone to update everything, then select menu, sort by size (you might have to select sort by name, then try again and sort by size). Remove the largest programs.

Good luck.

hilldk11

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you after three tries, removing more and more apps and accounts, it finally worked. Whew! Seems like a cluster for a small size upgrade. Can't wait to get a Galaxy Nexus in 2012 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa