Do all phone apps run all the time?

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just got market update for my Task manager, says update had more program dection and Froyo. I now see Flickr and Footprints running and stop them, they restart every time. Is this just a case of how the operating system works or did I miss something on why they are running when I'm not using them?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try using system panel I've read some application like task killer will show apps running that really aren't. I just checked on my system panel and flickr and footprints are not on the list of running apps.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The apps are not running, they are loaded into memory as inactive, frozen if that makes more sense. System panel is the only true app that will show you this.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest you do not use a task killer if you are unsure what is running, what is cached, and what Android does in terms of memory. It will save you alot of problems down the road.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for fast responses, and do normal users like myself have to wait for Verizon to activate 2.2 on their network before we get it on our phones or is that something phone will do from a system update?

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
VZW has no control of 2.2, and you will not be able to update to 2.2 because we have not unlocked the bootloader and do not have root. I honestly suggest you uninstall the task killer because at this point, you are installing things that have nothing to do with your phone. The ONLY version of 2.2 that is out is for the Nexus One, and even that one isnt the final build. The only way you will get 2.2 is to have it ported, but as I said earlier, we do not have root, so that would be impossible.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I picked it up was for helping my battery life, I'm on my phone ALL day with it almost always active. Uptime right now is 54:20:59 with 29:24:16 active.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the task killer along with many existing apps are getting updated for SDK 2.2 support. I've seen a half a dozen updated already with that being the only real change.

That doesn't mean it is "for" Froyo, but that it has 2.2 support if/when you get it.

The only way you will get 2.2 is to have it ported, but as I said earlier, we do not have root, so that would be impossible.

And yes, normal users can wait for the Upgrade to 2.2 that HTC has said they plan on releasing later this year. No root needed for that and it will be supported by both HTC and VZW as well. That will be an OTA upgrade that all users will be able to do, again without root.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
And yes, normal users can wait for the Upgrade to 2.2 that HTC has said they plan on releasing later this year. No root needed for that and it will be supported by both HTC and VZW as well. That will be an OTA upgrade that all users will be able to do, again without root.
That is completely different than what I was referring to, and what the OP thought he did. OTA's will automatically be pushed to your phone, whereas the OP thought the task killer manually updated the OS update. (I assumed the normal 2.2 OTA as a given)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress