Froyo RUU News, Reviews, Findings, Q&A.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mfj. Your effort is appreciated here. I'm watching the results carefully before giving my consent to the OTA.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out. Had to go to apps in the settings and clear out the cash for gmail, gmail contacts, facebook, facebook for sense. I also removed my facebook account and rebooted. All is fine now.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So far all is working fine. Noticed better memory management in that I have more available memory. I like the new gmail. It is easier to navigate, not that it was hard before. Browser is faster. Flash works great. I had a music volume problem with 2.1 where music didn't play as loud as I liked over headphones, that is fixed and is louder. Text messaging is set up a little different, I like it. Text messaging is easier to use. GTalk seems to be just about the same. Chrome to phone is really fun to use. Its awesome. Phone calls were clear sounding before, maybe its me, but they seem even clearer now. Wifi N is great also, I have a stronger signal for my phone in my house now. Before the phone picked up wifi signals but you couldn't be that far away from the router. Kept dropping the signal also. Now I can venture farther in my home and I haven't dropped a signal yet, at least that I have noticed. I will still keep an eye on it.

Still can't get rid of that stupid city ID app and vz navigator.

Froyo is definitely a plus. Can't wait for Gingerbread now.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I got the RUU working...with root

I have installed this. I'm testing, but it seems to be pretty quick. 39.989 Linpack score. It seems like the real-deal Flash 10.1. I went to CANABALT Flash to play the Flash game there. It works well (though jumping takes an extra second to register), much better than it did on 2.1. Disabling mobile pages in the browser lets you watch full YouTube in the browser without launching the application. THIS IS SICK!

BTW, I also made sure I had S-Off enabled through Unrevoked Forever (before loading the RUU), and followed these instructions to reenable root:

How to get Clockwork recovery, busybox, & root on 8/26 leaked RUU 3.21.605.1 - xda-developers

I got a newer SuperUser program installed which looks cool:
new_superuser.jpg

I have made one call which seemed OK. I'll have to play around for a few days to decide whether I made the right decision ;).

Any other screenshot requests?

*edit: Ah, it comes with the Android News Genie widget! The HTC news widget is pretty cool, but it scrolls really fast and doesn't aggregate stories like Genie.

* edit 2: I was able to get rid of CityID, VZNavigator, and HTC Footprints using the same methods as before with root. I plugged the phone into my computer, booted it into ClockworkMod Recovery, mounted /system, then ran these commands from the command prompt:

adb shell
cd /system
mkdir app.disabled
cd app
mv VzNav.apk /system/app.disabled
mv CityID.apk /system/app.disabled
mv HtcFootprints.apk /system/app.disabled
mv HtcFootprints.odex /system/app.disabled
mv HtcFootprintsWidget.apk /system/app.disabled
mv HtcFootprintsWidget.odex /system/app.disabled

This basically makes a new folder under system called app.disabled, and copies the programs in there (doesn't delete them, for safekeeping).

Last edited:

Chase S

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What am I doing wrong??

Have the leaked OTA update....

Dinc is connected to computer (W7 64b) and in "Drive" mode...

Run leaked OTA and it recognizes the Dinc, but when it gets to "Restarting bootloader", it will hesitate for a few moments and pause on the HTC screen for the phone, and the leak will pop up saying USB Connection error.

It's almost as though when it restarts the bootloader, the USB port resets and cant be discovered by the leak.

Any ideas??

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have installed this. I'm testing, but it seems to be pretty quick. 39.989 Linpack score. It seems like the real-deal Flash 10.1. I went to CANABALT Flash to play the Flash game there. It works well (though jumping takes an extra second to register), much better than it did on 2.1. Disabling mobile pages in the browser lets you watch full YouTube in the browser without launching the application. THIS IS SICK!

BTW, I also made sure I had S-Off enabled through Unrevoked Forever (before loading the RUU), and followed these instructions to reenable root:

How to get Clockwork recovery, busybox, & root on 8/26 leaked RUU 3.21.605.1 - xda-developers

I got a newer SuperUser program installed which looks cool:
new_superuser.jpg

I have made one call which seemed OK. I'll have to play around for a few days to decide whether I made the right decision ;).

Any other screenshot requests?

*edit: Ah, it comes with the Android News Genie widget! The HTC news widget is pretty cool, but it scrolls really fast and doesn't aggregate stories like Genie.

* edit 2: I was able to get rid of CityID, VZNavigator, and HTC Footprints using the same methods as before with root. I plugged the phone into my computer, booted it into ClockworkMod Recovery, mounted /system, then ran these commands from the command prompt:

This basically makes a new folder under system called app.disabled, and copies the programs in there (doesn't delete them, for safekeeping).

Kind of just "hides" them ala blackberry?

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
We believe it is a Windows 7 problem. Find a Vista or XP machine and try. Make sure you have a fresh installation of HTC sync so you have all the HTC drivers.

Many people have complained about this same problem using Win 7 and as soon as they switch to another operating system it installs no problem.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Win7 with no issues. Things to try:

Make sure HTC sync is installed and the computer sees your phone when connected.

Still have issues? Then:

Reboot computer and phone
Use a different USB port
Try another USB cable

HTH

darlev

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
re: Froyo RUU Review, Findings, Q&A.

Does the update screw with any of your apps? do you have to re install any of them? also do you think the memory improvements reduce the need for a task killer?
Thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone actually got this yet? This thread makes it hard to tell what is going on! I agree this should be titled different if it was not actually sent OTA, although I appreciate the effort it is confusing to people who are waiting for the real deal to come OTA from VZW.

Chase S

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Win7 with no issues. Things to try:

Make sure HTC sync is installed and the computer sees your phone when connected.

Still have issues? Then:

Reboot computer and phone
Use a different USB port
Try another USB cable

HTH

Windows 7 is seeing the phone initially, but when you go to actually apply the update, during the restart the driver searches for the phone, but cant find it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the OP can change the title of the thread now even if they wanted too anyhoo , it would take a MOD to do that ,lol

Pfft: they way I see it you can either do it this way or wait for your lucky day on the OTA (thats if you arent rooted and already have it ) :p

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me what you did to get it to work. What settings if any did you change on your computer and phone. I have tried numerous times and it would not load up.

Mitch R.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Tried the manual update last night, returned an error that the device wasn't connected to my PC. I probably didn't choose the right connection on the phone when I plugged it in.

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone actually got this yet? This thread makes it hard to tell what is going on! I agree this should be titled different if it was not actually sent OTA, although I appreciate the effort it is confusing to people who are waiting for the real deal to come OTA from VZW.

No OTA yet.