[How to] Install and Use Clockworkmod Recovery w/Screen captures

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay - Down and dirty: Download this file to your computer.

Copy to your sdcard. It has to be in the root directory (do not put in any directory). When you boot into recovery it will be blue..

Select apply update.zip file. That will take you to red recovery - you will see some error codes (ignore them)... you are now in CWM.

That will be a quick fix.

If you want a more durable fix download and copy to your sdcard this file

When in red recovery find cwm-recovery-ALL.zip and flash it.. That will make it so you will boot to red recovery each time without having to use the update file on your sdcard.

could also just flash cwm all with odin from post #3 of this thread and it will go directly into red recovery.

i feel like rom manager was used maybe i should use a bigger warning about it being more confusion than its worth at this point

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
could also just flash cwm all with odin from post #3 of this thread and it will go directly into red recovery.

i feel like rom manager was used maybe i should use a bigger warning about it being more confusion than its worth at this point

I would agree. I think it is a bit too convenient to use and has some pitfalls.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

He's on sc 2.8 so cwm-all won't stick if he flashes another ROM. Should be Ok though as I'm guessing he's not going to be doing a lot of flashing of ROMs until he's more comfortable.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It will stock from 2.9 on..they will be including cwm all with the kernel from now on most likely
He's on sc 2.8 so cwm-all won't stick if he flashes another ROM. Should be Ok though as I'm guessing he's not going to be doing a lot of flashing of ROMs until he's more comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

mm247

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Updated to 2.9.1scnv and EB16 kernel last night. Charging multiple times using the step process discussed here and the other threads. Went in to CWM Red this morning to reset Bat. Stats. I selected clear stats but, I didn't see any clearing process working down lower area with white lettering. Should it show activity as it clears Bat. Info? Or is there another way to tell if the stats have been cleared.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Its broken in red. I need to update that section on how tio llo do it when I have time
Updated to 2.9.1scnv and EB16 kernel last night. Charging multiple times using the step process discussed here and the other threads. Went in to CWM Red this morning to reset Bat. Stats. I selected clear stats but, I didn't see any clearing process working down lower area with white lettering. Should it show activity as it clears Bat. Info? Or is there another way to tell if the stats have been cleared.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all of these helpful threads. Within 3 weeks I have gone form no root to SC 2.9.1 voodoo with a custom theme with confidence thanks to all of the hard work by the users here.

Reactions: DroidXcon

drjohns17

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having some hardware issues with my camera and was going to take it in to the verizon store to have it looked at. Im going to flash the stock ROM before I go so they dont void any warranties. If I use CWR and do a backup, if they give me a new phone, would i be able to restore using that backup??

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am having some hardware issues with my camera and was going to take it in to the verizon store to have it looked at. Im going to flash the stock ROM before I go so they dont void any warranties. If I use CWR and do a backup, if they give me a new phone, would i be able to restore using that backup??

yes as long as the build conditions are the same

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

yes as long as the build conditions are the same

Just wanted to clarify this. If he did a nandroid backup on his current phone, took it to the Verizon store, and they gave him a new phone, he would only be able to restore the nandroid backup if they put the micro SD card from his previous phone into the new phone. Correct?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to clarify this. If he did a nandroid backup on his current phone, took it to the Verizon store, and they gave him a new phone, he would only be able to restore the nandroid backup if they put the micro SD card from his previous phone into the new phone. Correct?

yes and no,,you can copy the clockwork folder onto your computer and put it on any micro SD card,,,,or he can keep his SD card and put it in the new phone

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
yes and no,,you can copy the clockwork folder onto your computer and put it on any micro SD card,,,,or he can keep his SD card and put it in the new phone

Ok, just wanted to make sure he is aware just to safeguard against the off chance the Verizon store not giving him his old sd card back.

Reactions: DroidXcon

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, just wanted to make sure he is aware just to safeguard against the off chance the Verizon store not giving him his old sd card back.

one of these days ill add to the nandroid section on where to find the backups on your card and how to rename them or move them. with screen shots of course

Reactions: Landshark

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
one of these days ill add to the nandroid section on where to find the backups on your card and how to rename them or move them. with screen shots of course

Will that be # 1,752 on your list of things you need/want to do? :D Man, you do so much work around here.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You are the man. Thanks for making this whole subject MUCH easier to understand. Please accept this cold beer, even if you're underage.

Now things are fixed after Rom Manager loaded orange clockworks. Rom Manager if now gone from my phone!

Last edited:

madduck99

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
great info, but have a question. I have SC 2.6 installed, went to CWM, got blue screen, scrolled down to apply sdcard:update.zip went to install and got this message failed to open /sdcard/update.zip No such file or directory. Any Ideas?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
great info, but have a question. I have SC 2.6 installed, went to CWM, got blue screen, scrolled down to apply sdcard:update.zip went to install and got this message failed to open /sdcard/update.zip No such file or directory. Any Ideas?

Yep. If you are going to stay at sc 2.6 and flash any ROMs you need to download this update.zip MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service, and place it on the base of your sd card.

Or if you are not going to flash any new ROMs, you can flash this cwm-all file in this thread through ODIN, then you will boot directly to the current cwm-all

Or you can upgrade to sc 2.9, and you will boot directly to cwm-all

will.bates94

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
ok so i followed the odin and flashed the cwm recovery all tar file and when i try to do the update.zip in stock recovery i still get the same problem with the E:failed to verify whole file sig thing.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Is it booting directly into red recovery?
ok so i followed the odin and flashed the cwm recovery all tar file and when i try to do the update.zip in stock recovery i still get the same problem with the E:failed to verify whole file sig thing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer