Fascinate MR2 (DL09) Waiting Lounge: Annnouncement Now on Verizon's Website

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
And on a side-note, everyone should be cautious accepting whatever is released next week (if anything). I've read that updates to the Galaxy Tab have included a locked bootloader, and if they did it to that, it's certainly possible they could do the same to our phone. Sure, if it did happen, it could probably be defeated by the devs, but is it worth the risk?

I certainly intend to wait until someone more knowledgeable than myself has a chance to examine the update and make sure it doesn't lock the phone down.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just because somebody had something "confirmed" by a VZW rep means nothing. More often than not they know less than we do. They are there to sell contracts and accessories, not keep up with what is getting updated to what version on what day. Grain of salt, people.

Reactions: JaeKar99

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Alright no one has answered the root questions or asked so I will!
First, if I am rooted, what do I have to do to ensure that I get this update?!
Second, will the root that was worked out still work or will the wonderful people who figure this out have to do another way to root?
And finally, anyone hear if Froyo will be binged?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

If all you did was root, you should get the update without problem. But if you start messing with the software (debloating, or flashing new roms, for example), then it can, and probably will, fail. With previous updates, all the stock apps need to be where they were, re-bloated in other words, and you'll need to be on the stock rom.

Second, will the root that was worked out still work or will the wonderful people who figure this out have to do another way to root?

It could work, but there aren't any guarantees. In all likelihood, it would probably require a tweaked method to root.

Supposedly you'll be able to put the Google search widget on your screen, but the browser will still be hard-coded to use Bing when the soft search key is used. But that comes from Verizon reps, and we all know the demonstrated accuracy of their information...

Reactions: willenium_1217

Krook

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site

This question has been asked all over these forums. Maybe that's why they weren't answering.search the forums next time lol

preymond

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i love to see all of you people asking whether or not your debloated whatever will update to this "update" which hasn't been confirmed. well, on my side of things, my rom forces a FC every time i try and push an update.. so no mystery for me.. its revert to stock or nothing! (good thing odin makes it easy)

wouldn't you rather have a clean/fresh install of froyo/gingerbread anyways. start anew with something that works well?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
i love to see all of you people asking whether or not your debloated whatever will update to this "update" which hasn't been confirmed. well, on my side of things, my rom forces a FC every time i try and push an update.. so no mystery for me.. its revert to stock or nothing! (good thing odin makes it easy)

wouldn't you rather have a clean/fresh install of froyo/gingerbread anyways. start anew with something that works well?

i would rather have a clean fresh install of 2.2 or 2.3 that comes from adry or birdman or sonofskywalker3, i wont run an update from vzw or samsung. im not getting stuck with a locked boot loader or what ever other crap vzw wants to push out. if i get the rom from xda i wont have to go back to stock.

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it, if you use a custom ROM, why would you ever want to go back to an OEM ROM?
2.1 MR3 or 2.2 it's not worth the Verizon bloat.
Wait for the [awesome] devs to hook up a custom build, then update.
That's just the way I see it.

[sent from my android]

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it, if you use a custom ROM, why would you ever want to go back to an OEM ROM?
2.1 MR3 or 2.2 it's not worth the Verizon bloat.
Wait for the [awesome] devs to hook up a custom build, then update.
That's just the way I see it.

[sent from my android]

+1 :cool:

spectre72

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that Samsung/Verizon treats the rumored update with more secrecy than our federal government does with national security issues? Froyo 2.2, or just a tweak via a maintenance release. Why all the excitement after all it's just a wireless phone albeit a smart one. After 20+ years in the military dealing with such things as war plans, nukes, etc., I just don't get it.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So maybe.. maybe... Many of us are hard skeptics coming from Blackberry...

I am also a skeptic who came from a (Verizon) Blackberry too (Storm2), and I think the table is 100% set for the Fascinate to NOT get a major OS upgrade to Froyo. This phone is only a few months away from becoming obsolete in today's smartphone lifecycle environment, and I don't see them doing something that will cause us to be happy with the phone we have for a longer period of time when we may otherwise upgrade (if we're not too pissed off by then).

I'm happy with the phone and will be much happier when the GPS works the way it is supposed to, but I do get tired of the carriers playing marketing strategy instead of doing the right thing and supporting their products the right way.

FNDomination

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Fascinate is getting 2.2 update. Whether or not it is happening in a few days is all guess work at this point.

The smartphone life cycle is intense right now, but I am still quite pleased with my decision to purchase the Fascinate. Looking at the new phones being debuted at CES, I am now happy with my phone. Sure, a few of those new phones look choice, but only a very few. On top of that, those choice phones will not being seeing the light of day for many months.

ej_424

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Skeptical

Show me some gingerbread for god sake. How long have we been stuck on 2.1.....? What a joke, and on top of it the Dev support on XDA for this device is pretty minimal in copmarison to the Droid's and Incredible.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Show me some gingerbread for god sake. How long have we been stuck on 2.1.....? What a joke, and on top of it the Dev support on XDA for this device is pretty minimal in copmarison to the Droid's and Incredible.

This phone isn't even four months old, and the dev community us growing by the day.

At least we aren't stuck on 1.6 like some other devices.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I think they're going to push out an update that turns all our Fascinates into iPhones. They'll keep one button active as the home button, and the other three will turn into direct lines to customer service at Verizon, Samsung, and Apple.

(Hey, it's as likely as anything else right now...)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that Samsung/Verizon treats the rumored update with more secrecy than our federal government does with national security issues? Froyo 2.2, or just a tweak via a maintenance release. Why all the excitement after all it's just a wireless phone albeit a smart one. After 20+ years in the military dealing with such things as war plans, nukes, etc., I just don't get it.

spectre... 130 gunships???

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the devs we have are making some nice roms and kernels for us to use. They are working on asop roms and in a couple months I expect we'll have as good a Dec community as other established phones.