samsung fascinate screen locks during call

tkataria

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have this problem where when they are on a call the screen locks and you can't hang up the call until you unlock the screen or the other end hangs up? Is there a setting to not lock the screen when on a call.
After my call I have to make the pattern on the lock screen and then only I can go to the home screen and End the call.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have this problem where when they are on a call the screen locks and you can't hang up the call until you unlock the screen or the other end hangs up? Is there a setting to not lock the screen when on a call.
After my call I have to make the pattern on the lock screen and then only I can go to the home screen and End the call.

Check that you havnt accidently dragged the notification bar down alittle, if you did you wont be able to get off the call unless you drag it down or back up .

Reactions: jbr05ki

n3rdcor3

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen locks on my during calls longer than 30 seconds! Have to unlock just to hang up.

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a password or a finger jester (sp?)?

I had the nine dots for lock screen and I did not have that issue. Co worker had a number password and had the same issue you are talking about. bug?

Anyone check the bug list for 2.1?

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had this problem on my Fascinate ever since I got it in September and it's been extremely annoying. It's especially frustrating when using Bluetooth while driving (and unsafe having to fumble with your phone to unlock it all the time).

I'm pleased to report that after downloading the latest update this morning the problem appears to be fixed. I called my phone from my office line and had a 10+ minute conversation with myself and the display remained lit the enter time.

I have not tried it out in the car using Bluetooth yet. I will do that later on.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Its technically not a problem. When your not actively doing something on a screen for a period of time it will lock. You can set in the settings how long it takes to lock. Remember when you put the phone up to your ear while on a call it goes black and becomes unresponsive so you dont accidentally hit something?

Since it becomes inactive you start your time out count from 0:

if (screenInactive >=30 ) {
screenLock = 'true';
} else {
screenLock = 'false';
}

This is the same when you are listening to your music. Even if it is playing and you set your phone down it will eventually lock. You can set screen to always on or root and get a custom rom that doesnt lock the screen while on a call.

My Droid X does it. My Fascinate did it. My Eris did it. My Droid1 did it. It is safe to assume that most android phones will do it.

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Its technically not a problem. When your not actively doing something on a screen for a period of time it will lock. You can set in the settings how long it takes to lock. Remember when you put the phone up to your ear while on a call it goes black and becomes unresponsive so you dont accidentally hit something?

On my phone is was definitely a problem. I have my screen timeout set to 2 minutes. My phone would lock up after 30 seconds or even less sometimes while on a call. Not every time, but a lot.

Now, after the update today, even with my timeout set at 2 minutes my phone stayed unlocked with the screen turned on for over 10 minutes during a call. The phone was set on my desk..not up to my face. Then I did another test for a 5 minute call holding the phone to my face the entire time and it also did not lock (it did dim but re-lit unlocked when I pulled it away). A big improvement..there most definitely was a bug on my phone that appears to be gone.

Obviously not everyone out there was having this problem. I just found this forum today.. if I had looked for it sooner I would have done something about it!

tkataria

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had this problem on my Fascinate ever since I got it in September and it's been extremely annoying. It's especially frustrating when using Bluetooth while driving (and unsafe having to fumble with your phone to unlock it all the time).

I'm pleased to report that after downloading the latest update this morning the problem appears to be fixed. I called my phone from my office line and had a 10+ minute conversation with myself and the display remained lit the enter time.

I have not tried it out in the car using Bluetooth yet. I will do that later on.

Hi SEAKevin what update did you do? The one which is released in last 2-3 days for fascinate system software update (I think they are calling it DL09) ? I have DI01 on my phone and tried to check for new updates but it kept looking for it and freezing. So no updates for my phone yet. I read online somewhere that they are releasing it in phases so I might get it in few days. If that fixes this problem I will be really happy.
Also I root my phone and followed the steps provided here on andriod central for removing bing and get google search. Can it be the reason I am not getting the updates??

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi SEAKevin what update did you do? The one which is released in last 2-3 days for fascinate system software update (I think they are calling it DL09) ? I have DI01 on my phone and tried to check for new updates but it kept looking for it and freezing. So no updates for my phone yet. I read online somewhere that they are releasing it in phases so I might get it in few days. If that fixes this problem I will be really happy.
Also I root my phone and followed the steps provided here on andriod central for removing bing and get google search. Can it be the reason I am not getting the updates??
Yes my update was DL09 and I manually requested it in my phone and it downloaded. My phone is not rooted so I have no idea if that has anything to do with you not being able to get it. Be sure you turn off your Wi-Fi before checking for the update.. I found it won't work if you're connected to Wi-FI. I'd also restart your phone and try again.

I did a test last night using Bluetooth and it worked like a charm.. no longer locks up. Phone is working great!

Reactions: tkataria

tkataria

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey SEAKevin,

thanks a lot man!!!. To turn off the wi-fi was the key to get the DL09 update. I did that and I got the OTA update. After installing it no more lock ups during calls. I was also able to get "voice" in google navigation after that but it was kinda on and off (before this update I never got voice in google Nav.). I think its google nav issue though as its still in Beta. But after this I like this phone, looks great and very fast. Thanks again!!!.

Last edited:

Cybernutztim

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Have latest update still locks up with bluetooth

I have the latest update and my screen goes blank so fast I can't even put in a pin code to check my voicemail at work. I had to press two numbers and hit the power button, then hit two numbers and hit the power button, then try to hit the pound key. Could it be the sensor on the front and it's seeing my hand so it blanks like I had it to my ear? Has anybody else had this type of problem. I talked to a Verizon rep. she said her Droid X does the same thing. Is there any software patch or edit to apply so it doesn't do this. Like said above it's not safe to be driving and have to keep pushing buttons.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Since it becomes inactive you start your time out count from 0:

if (screenInactive >=30 ) {
screenLock = 'true';
} else {
screenLock = 'false';
}

This is the same when you are listening to your music. Even if it is playing and you set your phone down it will eventually lock. You can set screen to always on or root and get a custom rom that doesnt lock the screen while on a call.

My Droid X does it. My Fascinate did it. My Eris did it. My Droid1 did it. It is safe to assume that most android phones will do it.

Not to flat out contradict you but my phone does not do this. My time out is set to 30 seconds and doesn't lock after a 45 minute phone call.

I don't use a security feature of any sort if that's specifically what you're pointing at.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest update and my screen goes blank so fast I can't even put in a pin code to check my voicemail at work. I had to press two numbers and hit the power button, then hit two numbers and hit the power button, then try to hit the pound key. Could it be the sensor on the front and it's seeing my hand so it blanks like I had it to my ear? Has anybody else had this type of problem. I talked to a Verizon rep. she said her Droid X does the same thing. Is there any software patch or edit to apply so it doesn't do this. Like said above it's not safe to be driving and have to keep pushing buttons.

Ya, when you're working over bluetooth that's a known issue. I fielded a return for that exact issue. Sorry it's not helpful, but it's something right? I like wired ear piece 99% of the time anyway though.

lauranelli

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. I have had my fascinate for almost 2 months. My problem is when I'm checking emails, or texting the phone seems to freeze. I have updated, and I am not rooted. Too complicated for me. Can anyone tell me why I might be having this problem?

Cybernutztim

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Turns out in my cases it appears an app was the reason for my issues. After talking to Verizon Level 2 tech support they convienced me to do a hard reset. I used My Backup Pro to save apps and settings and DATA. It seems to be a great app. I can now reinstall apps one at a time to see which app casued my problem. Indeed after the hard reset I no longer had this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress