For those considering rooting....

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So I've been having troubles with my phone thinking it's fully charged when it's not and even more recently with it thinking it's connected to a computer via USB when it's not.

I rooted my phone within days of acquiring it. I reverted it back to stock today to see if that would take care of the issue.

It did not.

Since it was BTS, I took it to a store.

I played dumb for a bit until the rep and I got to really talking after I brought up Froyo.

He said he was considering "hacking" his phone to get the bootleg of Froyo. I told him that I'd been considering rooting for a while but "uh.. you know, didn't.. because of warranty issues, and uh.. the possibility of bricking it.And stuff".

To which his reply was:

"Go for it. We're not really supposed to tell anyone this, but we've been told by corporate that if someone bricks their phone as a result of root to go ahead and replace it per Warranty and just to tell them to "not do that any more".

So.. some food for thought.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So I've been having troubles with my phone thinking it's fully charged when it's not and even more recently with it thinking it's connected to a computer via USB when it's not.

I rooted my phone within days of acquiring it. I reverted it back to stock today to see if that would take care of the issue.

It did not.

Since it was BTS, I took it to a store.

I played dumb for a bit until the rep and I got to really talking after I brought up Froyo.

He said he was considering "hacking" his phone to get the bootleg of Froyo. I told him that I'd been considering rooting for a while but "uh.. you know, didn't.. because of warranty issues, and uh.. the possibility of bricking it.And stuff".

To which his reply was:

"Go for it. We're not really supposed to tell anyone this, but we've been told by corporate that if someone bricks their phone as a result of root to go ahead and replace it per Warranty and just to tell them to "not do that any more".

So.. some food for thought.

Im all for rooting and hacking , and i dont hesitate to tell someone to do it. But i wouldnt say that it wont get you in warranty trouble because it can.

Don't trust reps please, if you didnt notice this particular rep is talking about hacking his phone for froyo?????? have you seen any posts here stating that we have froyo for the fascinate , even in leaked version. I'd take this guys word with a grain of salt..

if you ask me , ROOT! but i wont tell you that it wont void your warranty or the will def replace it. because if the manager is in a bad mood or the rep they can still just say no because this replacement statement is not written anywhere so they have the right not to replace your phone.

Reactions: tonhippy182

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, idk... he gave me his card and said that if I do it and anything happens and I have trouble with getting it replaced to give him a call. Maybe I just happened to hit the right rep on the right day.

maimun

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
were you at a corporate VZW store or an authorized dealer? The only reason I ask is because the guy referenced what corporate told him which sounds like an indirect (those guys dont even replace phones) i second the sentiment to root but fyi it definately voids your warrenty and even though you most likely will get the phone replaced if you have a problem if it happens more than once you can be sure at some point VZW will deny your replacement