Backup Assistant now runs automatically?

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had my fascinate for 2 months now (OTA DL09), and all of a sudden this evening I get a notification that Backup Assistant had backed up my contacts. I never signed up for the service, and have auto sync turned off for it in the Accounts and Sync Settings menu. I see that it is now a free service, but I am old school and I don't like things running in the background unless I tell them to, and I have already backed up my contacts to SD card and copied them to my PC and google docs anyways. Is there a way to turn this off? Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I can't find anything about it here though.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
omg, this phone is killing me now since the DL09 update. I went to check out my backup assistant, and every time I click on it, the phone locks up and resets itself.

Go to Settings --> Accounts. You'll see Backup Assistant. Click it. I believe from there you can turn it off.

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah as I said previously I have never turned it on and have sync turned off, yet tonight at 8:54pm it synced 78 contacts. Where did you go to "check out" Backup Assistant besides the settings? I don't see it in apps.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
That's what I meant by check out (went to settings, accounts). When the phone is first setup, you have the option of using Backup Assistant or not. Once it's setup you can't remove it without a hard reset.

Maybe the DL09 update just installs it without prompting us now? IDK. I'm going to try a hard reset on my phone anyway to see if that helps with other issues I'm having.

xbdx

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Before DL09...
Backup assistant was disabled and never used.

After DL09...
Backup assistant is still disabled and it runs every so often! Always a few 4, 6, etc... contacts synced.
I've tried enabling autosync. rebooting... disabling... rebooting... etc... etc..
And within the week, it runs again.

I sync contacts with google. And link with facebook. So, haven't been interested in using verizon backup.

Summary,
Auto-sync is unchecked/disabled. It still runs.