[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

cryoabyss

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

Just figured it out. I was plugging the touchstone into a powered usb hub. However, when I plugged it into a samsung usb wall wart, everything started working. I hope this helps!

Reactions: ohiomoto

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to get a voltage reading off the touchstone receiver coils with a multimeter. I have two sets of receivers and transmitters now (I thought the first one was defective) but both still read 0.0V. Does the receiver do some sort of load detection or have you guys been able to read 5V off the receiver contacts?

I was able to read 5v just fine. As soon as I got the touchstone back cover, put it on the touchstone and tested with my multi meter. Top contact is negitive bottom positive. Make sure your multi meter is set to AC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

it does not require a load because did a reading from the contacts. not to be a pain but did you put the coil on the touchstone and did you put a case under it? it requires the case between it andthe touchstone because a gap is needed for the field to work. if you put the could bare on the touchstone it wont power

dano272

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

Got my parts finally assembled. And the end result might be a deal breaker for me. Let me say that I absolutely love the idea of a magnetic plugless charging setup - especially in the car. But after all was set up and plugged in - I'm only getting charging at USB levels. This is while plugged into the wall - which when the same mini USB is plugged directly in the phone gives AC charging levels.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

this was a problem for me as well at first. but the way I are it is this: I will be more likely to charge my phone throughout the day. ill keep a touchstone at work and one at home by the bed and one by my desk at home. the small trickle through out the day will help keep me topped off so I don't need those long large charges.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

this was a problem for me as well at first. but the way I are it is this: I will be more likely to charge my phone throughout the day. ill keep a touchstone at work and one at home by the bed and one by my desk at home. the small trickle through out the day will help keep me topped off so I don't need those long large charges.

Agreed. It is less of a pain to charge this way. And I got three chargers for less than the price of a single official GN dock. One by the bed, one at work, and one in the car. Should be plenty of charging. Losing AC charging is worth it to me for the convenience. Plus in a bind you can always plug the cable in to the phone for AC charging.

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
And it may say USB charging but I swear it charges faster..... oh and NFC worked for me. Beamed a few websites to my buddy today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I have noticed that I can run Navigation, Pandora on Bluetooth on 4g and still charge IF the screen it off. As soon as the screen is on with GPS, the Touchstone can't quite keep up. So on longer trips I only turn the display on when I need to see the map (Nav sends audible directions through BT anyway) or I just plug the USB cord directly into the phone and use the Touchstone to hold it. Without Nav, my phone usually gains between 8-10% charge during my 30 minute commute.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Where are you gettign all the supplies and what kind of outlay are we talkign abotu for whole process.

scotter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

So the current status of NFC is confirmed working and the current status of compass is...?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I did the whole mod for about 35 bucks but I already had the tools. The only thing you need is the touchstone starter kit (back and base) and some copper tape. I got the copper tape from hobby loby for 15 bucks. The starter kit is 10 bucks on amazon. If you want to get the higher power magnets (I highly recomend this, infact I got even stronger ones than the OP sudgested from the same site) than that will add on another 10 bucks (shipping is a ). So 35 bucks. Very reasonable.

I have a 3 hour drive to houston today. Ill test the compas and ill buy Jack and the Box too and test NFC. Will report back later.

Mynticelx

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I did the whole mod for about 35 bucks but I already had the tools. The only thing you need is the touchstone starter kit (back and base) and some copper tape. I got the copper tape from hobby loby for 15 bucks. The starter kit is 10 bucks on amazon. If you want to get the higher power magnets (I highly recomend this, infact I got even stronger ones than the OP sudgested from the same site) than that will add on another 10 bucks (shipping is a ). So 35 bucks. Very reasonable.

I have a 3 hour drive to houston today. Ill test the compas and ill buy Jack and the Box too and test NFC. Will report back later.

Any report on NFC and compass?

Mynticelx

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that the compass goes haywire when the stronger magnets in...

---

After playing around with the magnets, I made sure to follow the OPs directions exactly and the compass does seem to read fine. If your magnets are not as spread apart as the OPs.. then flip them around and get them spread out. It will make the compass more accurate.

Last edited:

Mynticelx

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that NFC works fine based on the OPs install. Had no problem beaming with another Gnex.

nsurg

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Got my parts finally assembled. And the end result might be a deal breaker for me. Let me say that I absolutely love the idea of a magnetic plugless charging setup - especially in the car. But after all was set up and plugged in - I'm only getting charging at USB levels. This is while plugged into the wall - which when the same mini USB is plugged directly in the phone gives AC charging levels.

The USB level charging phenomenon is described already several times in this thread. Did you really take your phone apart and do this without reading through the first few pages? And as stated, you still maintain your ability to charge via the normal port.

My biggest frustration is that I have had trouble squeezing it all into the extended battery cover and still fitting the cover over the extended battery... I'm going to try again.

Mynticelx

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

My biggest frustration is that I have had trouble squeezing it all into the extended battery cover and still fitting the cover over the extended battery... I'm going to try again.

I had some frustrations with this as well. Finally I ended up taking the Palm plastic completely off and just covering it with 3 strips of electrical tape. Once positioned correctly, I've got it completely closed and snug. Only noticeable bulge is right under the camera.. it presses out a slight bit.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Tried this mod last night. I'm also having trouble getting the extended battery cover to snap closed. But my problem may be slightly different. When I ordered the parts I accidentally ordered the back cover for the Palm Pixie rather than the Palm Pre. It is slightly different that the parts shown in the OP. I may keep trying, or I may just order the Pre.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Are you guys timing down the plastic ridge below the camera cutout and trimming the sides of the Palm sticker as described in the guide?

Also, be sure to engage the bottom tabs of the back first and then work your way up the sides.

hhairplane

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

Amazon link for copper tape now saying: unavailable. Any alternatives, besides Ebay? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress