[HOW-TO] TiBu The Easy Way!

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I tried a clean install to test the new features of tibu with the zip installs. Here is my conclusions. I made three zips. One for the TIBU app files, one for apps only and one for data. I flashed my rom and all three zips at one time. When I got booted up, I had the apps installed, but no data. So I rebooted into recovery and flashed the data zip again. This time when I rebooted, tibu automatically restored the data upon reboot. Soo thihis really isn't a time saver. I could have just started the data restore from within tibu instead of the flashed zip. and it didn't restore the data for the xmls for texts and call logs. I was able to do those manually. So I do think it is worthwhile to make a zip of your apps and flash it when you flash the rom, but then manually restore the data from tibu once your rom boots up.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
So I had to bring my phone in to Sprint to check some things out. I unrooted it before I brought it in. I had made a new TB backup earlier. I get home, re-root it and install TB and when I run it nothing comes up. Not one single app, user or system. I even installed a couple from the market and tried again but those don't show up either.
I've un-installed and re-installed TB and the Pro key twice now. I don't know what else to do. I've been using TB for a long time and have never had any problems.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I had to bring my phone in to Sprint to check some things out. I unrooted it before I brought it in. I had made a new TB backup earlier. I get home, re-root it and install TB and when I run it nothing comes up. Not one single app, user or system. I even installed a couple from the market and tried again but those don't show up either.
I've un-installed and re-installed TB and the Pro key twice now. I don't know what else to do. I've been using TB for a long time and have never had any problems.

When unrooting it sounds like you uninstalled TiBu as well? I don't know for sure but its possible that when you uninstalled it it removed the backup directory (/sdcard/TitaniumBackup) with it. With a file explorer or plugged into your computer you should check to see if that directory still exists and if its loaded with your backups. If it is there then you just need to figure out how to get TiBu to see it, but if its not there and you don't have a backup of it somewhere then unfortunately you lost your backups.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll check on that but shouldn't it see the new apps I just installed or even all of the system apps? I don't even get the option to back anything up because according to the app there isn't anything to back up, let alone restore.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll check on that but shouldn't it see the new apps I just installed or even all of the system apps? I don't even get the option to back anything up because according to the app there isn't anything to back up, let alone restore.

Hmm.. are you sure that you are properly rooted and that TiBu has root access?

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I figured out that when I reinstalled it that the filters were different and not showing anything. BUT, I still lost everything when I unrooted. The TiBu folder is on my SD card but somehow got cleared and my backups were all gone. It's never happened before. This time I will have another backup besides on my phone.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I figured out that when I reinstalled it that the filters were different and not showing anything. BUT, I still lost everything when I unrooted. The TiBu folder is on my SD card but somehow got cleared and my backups were all gone. It's never happened before. This time I will have another backup besides on my phone.
I have my tibu setup to sync twice a week in the middle of the night and then upload the backup to my dropbox account. It really gives me piece of mind to know that I have a backup saved somewhere off my phone.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been using titanium exactly as was laid out in this post and have had ZERO "problems"... I.e. force closes and quirky behavior.

You will hear Phil and Jerry on the Podcast saying that they don't use titanium because it doesn't appear to handle the data properly all the time.

I called and suggested this thread to them. Jerry said he would check it out but I've since heard them say the same things about TiBu.

Long story short. This thread is basically perfect instructions. 2defmouze knocked it out of the park.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Snacko

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Since we are creating that update.zip for TiBu, there is no need to back TiBu up as an app? It can be excluded from the backups, is this correct?

As an App backup, it would just overwrite the update.zip that was flashed when it was restored, right?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Since we are creating that update.zip for TiBu, there is no need to back TiBu up as an app? It can be excluded from the backups, is this correct?

As an App backup, it would just overwrite the update.zip that was flashed when it was restored, right?

It already does not back itself up as an app... that wouldn't make sense, you would need to install it to restore the backup anyway...lol :)

Snacko

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, yes I see. I saw my Titanium Backup PRO listed in the apps and thought that was the entire app. That is just my Pro key. Is there any need to back that up? I guess it won't hurt...

EDIT:
Does that update.zip include the labels? I assume that is part of the data of the app?

Last edited:

Snacko

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
One more question please?

How is the Page/Desktop layout saved? Does a TWRP backup save the desktop/pages where you have set everything up? Is that part of the internal ROM?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, yes I see. I saw my Titanium Backup PRO listed in the apps and thought that was the entire app. That is just my Pro key. Is there any need to back that up? I guess it won't hurt...

EDIT:
Does that update.zip include the labels? I assume that is part of the data of the app?

One more question please?

How is the Page/Desktop layout saved? Does a TWRP backup save the desktop/pages where you have set everything up? Is that part of the internal ROM?

Label data is stored on the sd and TiBu will load it automatically when you run.

For your homescreen setup, most of us ROM flashers will use a 3rd party launcher which can backup and restore your setup on its own. I use Nova Launcher, many like Apex as well, they are fairly similar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nbphil

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to the android scene and can't believe how helpful people are, so firstly, thanks!

I had a question about the original guide with regards to backing up. How do I keep the user apps backup from being wiped? I just don't understand where to store it locally?

I thought tibu might protect it, but of course I was wrong. I had a copy on my PC so it wasn't too bad, but would prefer a quicker process and more importantly, I wanna wrap my head around the concept for future reference.

Last edited:

Snacko

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, I'm a noob here as well. But I've just rooted, installed Noteorious Prime Rom, and backed everything up via TWRP and TiBu the past few weeks.

After I backed up my apps with TiBu, I plugged my phone into my computer with the usb cable and copied the TitaniumBackup folder to a location on my pc as a backup. I'm pretty good about backing stuff up. And the place I put the folder is also being backed up from my pc to an external drive once in a while. So, I have it in two places.

Actually 3.. I also used TiBu to Sync it with Google Drive. That took longer since it's over wifi and their servers may not be too fast. But it's free. You just go into the TiBu settings and setup Google Drive. Then you go to TiBu Schedules an do a Google Drive Sync.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the android scene and can't believe how helpful people are, so firstly, thanks!

I had a question about the original guide with regards to backing up. How do I keep the user apps backup from being wiped? I just don't understand where to store it locally?

I thought tibu might protect it, but of course I was wrong. I had a copy on my PC so it wasn't too bad, but would prefer a quicker process and more importantly, I wanna wrap my head around the concept for future reference.

TiBu backups are saved to your internal sd, which isn't wiped by a custom recovery when you wipe data/factory reset before flashing a ROM. TiBu will locate them automatically when you boot up the new ROM and install it, or flash the TiBu zip after flashing the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nbphil

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I couldn't get tibu to find any backups so I just assumed it got wiped and my only option was to get a backup off my PC. I'm going to give it another try, thanks again.

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there any reason to use this if you don't plan on restoring data with apps? Like why would I let TiBu restore everything instead of the play store? Play store I just chose sync google account, finish set up and everything come to me. TiBu I have to download from Play Store, bring it up, hit restore, and have to click "accept" and click "install" or something like that for all 80 apps. It goes quickly but having to push a button 160 time just to reload all my apps is such a pain in the ass.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason to use this if you don't plan on restoring data with apps? Like why would I let TiBu restore everything instead of the play store? Play store I just chose sync google account, finish set up and everything come to me. TiBu I have to download from Play Store, bring it up, hit restore, and have to click "accept" and click "install" or something like that for all 80 apps. It goes quickly but having to push a button 160 time just to reload all my apps is such a pain in the ass.

The main reason to use TiBu is that you can restore your apps with data.. so if doing that is not important to you then no, it's not something you need. Fyi, the paid version restores your apps all at once without you having to tap anything between them. Overall even for my non-data apps I find it much faster to use TiBu rather than the Play Store, and it can be done without any data connection. Again the update.zip you can create within TiBu lets you flash it directly after the ROM so it is installed when you first boot up, rather than needing to log in and use the Play Store at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa