09-30-2011 03:16 AM
316 ... 45678 ...
tools
    But as he lays in the corner with a Beer and a ***** the Panda said with a sigh...
    “Be it a Droid or Nexus branded new toy, with dual cores “hd” screens, fancy new widgets and more....
    The one with the keyboard is what I enjoy”

So Droid AND Nexus Versions and one with a Keyboard?
    09-19-2011 10:18 AM
    So are there 2 Verizon versions? Seems odd to release it with a keyboard when the Droid HD is on the way. I swear if this thing comes out and has a physical keyboard I'll be extremely disappointed.
    MetalPhoenix79 and RMT2142 like this.
    09-19-2011 10:19 AM
    So are there 2 Verizon versions? Seems odd to release it with a keyboard when the Droid HD is on the way. I swear if this thing comes out and has a physical keyboard I'll be extremely disappointed.
    Me too. A "Nexus" device is not a keyboard phone. Unless it is a "Droid" branded device with Verizon bloatware too ? And ATT + Sprint are getting the untouched pure "Nexus" ?
    09-19-2011 10:22 AM
    Yeah I'm right with you on that. Hopefully one of the Nexus versions is the one with the keyboard and not the Droid. It doesn't make sense that we've heard that it will be around 8 or 9mm, how could it have a keyboard at that thickness?
    09-19-2011 10:22 AM
    Maybe this just means that there will be two versions. On verizon a droid branded one without keyboard and a nexus branded one with keyboard? That would be fine with me.
    09-19-2011 10:24 AM
    Maybe this just means that there will be two versions. On verizon a droid branded one without keyboard and a nexus branded one with keyboard? That would be fine with me.
    Or the other way around?
    09-19-2011 10:25 AM
    I admit that I wouldn't mind a keyboard, particularly since I'll be coming from my BlackBerry and really like having a physical keyboard. But, the last few lines really do have me scratching my head on what is really coming. Sounds like there will be one with a keyboard, but whether it's Droid-branded or simply a Nexus and who's getting what is unclear to me.
    09-19-2011 10:26 AM
    Or the other way around?
    That would line up with the original Droid pretty much, wouldn't it? A somewhat stock device with some Verizon bloatware, and a keyboard.
    09-19-2011 10:27 AM
    I have no problem with more choices, but many of us were waiting for the GS2. If VZW passed on the GS2 to give us a beefed up Samsung Stratosphere it will be another slap in the face of their customers.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    09-19-2011 10:29 AM
    I'd be fine with two versions also. I love the droid brand, but I hope they don't rebrand the next Nexus as a "droid". Maybe the droid reference was for the Droid HD or Vigor.
    Well DROID is only on verizon, so it will probably be advertised as a DROID while other carriers get Nexus. I hope VZ gets the keyboard. That would be SWEET!
    Well that poem just raises more questions doesn't it? A hard keyboard on either the Nexus or Droid Prime would be disappointing to me unless they were releasing two versions of each (which I highly doubt). With that said, if the poem is alluding an actual keyboard then I'd bet on it being on the Droid.
    09-19-2011 10:32 AM
    I have no problem with more choices, but many of us were waiting for the GS2. If VZW passed on the GS2 to give us a beefed up Samsung Stratosphere it will be another slap in the face of their customers.
    I can see that. I was one of those waiting on the GS2. Again, I don't mind the physical keyboard (might actually prefer it), but I can see those that don't want it being in the same group that really liked the GS2. Now, if there are two versions and both coming to Verizon, that would seem to be the best of both worlds -- so we know that wouldn't happen.
    09-19-2011 10:33 AM
    Well If the Verizon device is going to be LTE it would be thicker than the others anyway, so why not put a keyboard on too. All the OG Droid faithful will be coming off contract about then so why not offer them a worthy successor.
    SpaceHippie likes this.
    09-19-2011 10:33 AM
    And now Verizon has more room for a bigger battery.. lol i hope they allow early upgrades for this phone like they did the iPhone. My upgrade is in february, i really don't want to pay full retail for this.
    09-19-2011 10:35 AM
    I could care less about a keyboard. But if both a slab and a keyboardless version go to Verizon, that would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my ADR6400L
    09-19-2011 10:37 AM
    Well If the Verizon device is going to be LTE it would be thicker than the others anyway, so why not put a keyboard on too. All the OG Droid faithful will be coming off contract about then so why not offer them a worthy successor.
    I think it'd be a question of whether the keyboard adds even more thickness, not just, if it's already thick go ahead and add a keyboard. Also, people who bought the OG Droid should have already been eligible, if they bought them soon after release. But, I agree, it would probably be the same people who'd really like a keyboard-ed Nexus.
    I have a OG Droid. I don't use the keyboard. Most people don't use keyboards anymore. There are people who don't mind, but this loses it's "flagship status" if it's rocking a keyboard.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    I pray that the Verizon doesn't slap a keyboard on there.... I dont want to have to fricken slide open my phone every time i want to type something. Yes I know there is also a software keyboard but whats the point of having a keyboard if you only use it sometimes? Just more bulk.
    nemov and MetalPhoenix79 like this.
    09-19-2011 10:38 AM
    I don't understand how a keyboard makes it not a Nexus. I use my OG's keyboard daily.
    09-19-2011 10:49 AM
    I don't know if I believe this poem now that he has finished. Before I was but I thought the entire purpose of ICS was to move towards a button less phone... even though a keyboard doesn't count as buttons, one would guess there will be some shortcuts on the keyboard for use on the phone... just doesn't add up to me..
    09-19-2011 10:49 AM
    I pray that the Verizon doesn't slap a keyboard on there.... I dont want to have to fricken slide open my phone every time i want to type something. Yes I know there is also a software keyboard but whats the point of having a keyboard if you only use it sometimes? Just more bulk.
    I would guess that one would use the physical keyboard for relatively long messages and emails, but for quick text messages and such, one would use the virtual keyboard. That's how I suspect I'd use it, although I suspect your question may have been more rhetorical in nature.

As a side note, it's interesting that so many people are on one side or the other as far as having a physical keyboard. It seems there's not a whole lot of people who are in the middle.
    09-19-2011 10:52 AM
    Oh God haha...I kinda hope it's not just a Stratosphere with stock ICS...man is that thing long in the tooth. Yes, I'm considering it but mainly out of desperation for a nice keyboard device...it happens to check off my list of requirements a bit better than D3 does, but I'd rather have something a bit more future proof.

A device with Nexus Prime internals with a great keyboard would be amazing.

I really hope it's not that Samsung AT&T slider...that keyboard didn't look too nice :/
    09-19-2011 10:59 AM
    I don't understand how a keyboard makes it not a Nexus. I use my OG's keyboard daily.
    Its not a keyboard that makes it not a Nexus. It would be Verizons insistence on having their bloatware on it. Also why did you mention your droid in relation to this since your droid is not a Nexus?
    09-19-2011 11:00 AM
    Its not a keyboard that makes it not a Nexus. It would be Verizons insistence on having their bloatware on it. Also why did you mention your droid in relation to this since your droid is not a Nexus?
    Someone said that "Most people don't use keyboards anymore". It was in response to that. Many other people were commenting that a keyboard make it not a Nexus. See..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...ing223-13.html
    "A "Nexus" device is not a keyboard phone."
    09-19-2011 11:03 AM
316 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD