Anyone else try the Razr while we wait?

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So did anyone else go and grab a Razr while we wait for the Nexus? I figured since my wife needed a new phone and they have the new return policy, I might as well.

To be honest, I am very unimpressed overall with it. The form factor does not feel comfortable in my hand at all. It's almost as if it is TOO thin. My thunderbolt fit the form of my hand as I wrapped around it. This thing only touches my hands on the corners and I have almost dropped it a couple times.

Blur is absolutely terrible as well. They need to just throw that out ASAP.

The LTE radio is very weak. My thunderbolt got 4g almost constantly here in baltimore, indoors and out. The Razr rarely gets 4g indoors, but once you step outside, it has full bars...pretty useless to me since I don't live/work outdoors.

The volume buttons are nearly impossible to press without directly looking at them, not a big deal, but an annoyance.

I'm not terribly impressed with the screen...it looks like a normal screen. Nothing special...nothing bad either.

Basically what I am getting at...I think waiting for the Nexus is going to be worth it. While I've always admired Moto phones, there is just something that isn't right with the Razr and I don't enjoy it. Anyone else have opinions on it while we wait?

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the same complaints (minus the LTE radio because I'm no where in range). I think I'm just used to HTC phones because I'm constantly searching for the power button up top and always hitting the power button when I'm trying to turn up the volume on the Razr. I really don't like the Blur widgets, I ended up downloading different ones from the Market. The battery is terrible and I'm definitely not a heavy data user. I'm definitely kicking myself for renting this instead of the Rezound before returning it for the Nexus.

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the same complaints (minus the LTE radio because I'm no where in range). I think I'm just used to HTC phones because I'm constantly searching for the power button up top and always hitting the power button when I'm trying to turn up the volume on the Razr. I really don't like the Blur widgets, I ended up downloading different ones from the Market. The battery is terrible and I'm definitely not a heavy data user. I'm definitely kicking myself for renting this instead of the Rezound before returning it for the Nexus.

I was thinking the same thing. I should have gone with the Rezound. I've heard great things about it and I've never had any problems with HTC phones. The only concern I have with the NExus is the possible build quality compared to HTC. My thunderbolt is built like a rock...and could be used for one...or an anchor on a large boat...

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt is built like a rock...and could be used for one...or an anchor on a large boat...

That's the truth! Haha. I'm actually missing my Thunderbolt right now. One thing I didn't think I would miss, but I am, is the kickstand. I guess I never realized just how much I used it. I know the Nexus won't have one, I just thought it was funny I was missing it.

M J

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was tempted to go look at both the Razr and Rezound today during lunch. My Touch Pro 2 is on it's last leg and today when I turned it on it was stuck in airplane mode. I tried everything but would just get the spinning wheel when I tried to turn it off. Only thing I could do was hard reset it. It's bad enough the touch screen doesn't work anymore. At least it has a slide out keyboard so I can still do about 80% of the things I need for now. I was worried what I would do today but the hard reset fixed it to at least make it somewhat usable. I wish I at least had a date for a GN release. I can't wait much longer.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I, too, decided to give the RAZR a try and I'm pretty impressed with it despite a few shortcomings. I love how solidly built the phone is (minus the power and volume buttons) as it feels like it could withstand being dropped. As someone who has never liked HTC Sense, I don't mind MotoBlur at all. The phone is also very quick in everything that I ask it to do. My only other complaint is that I feel the phone is a little bit too thin, wide, and slippery. At times it just seems as though I can't get a good grip on the phone.

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Also "renting" a RAZR here. I like it. The form factor is unique, the SAMOLED screen looks good, it's pretty quick, I like smart actions, build quality is good, battery life is decent, and I get spectacular 4G in San Diego, as well as actual working GPS (looking at you Samsung)

If it had NFC and ICS, with a 720p screen, I'd keep it.

I'm not sure why Moto can make a phone that's under 8mm thick WITH 4G, but the LTE Galaxy Nexus has to be thicker than the HSPA version. HSPA version - sleek, rounded, thin, nice looking. LTE version - eh, it looks like any other phone.

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Also "renting" a RAZR here. I like it. The form factor is unique, the SAMOLED screen looks good, it's pretty quick, I like smart actions, build quality is good, battery life is decent, and I get spectacular 4G in San Diego, as well as actual working GPS (looking at you Samsung)

If it had NFC and ICS, with a 720p screen, I'd keep it.

I'm not sure why Moto can make a phone that's under 8mm thick WITH 4G, but the LTE Galaxy Nexus has to be thicker than the HSPA version. HSPA version - sleek, rounded, thin, nice looking. LTE version - eh, it looks like any other phone.

pretty sure its battery related, not necessary LTE radio related...although the bigger battery is because of the LTE radio...so i guess you could say its cause of the LTE radio....have i lost you yet?

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the Razr as well and love it. After 2 years with the Incredible my HTC days are behind me. Terrible support, buggy software and OS updates way too late.

I now get 4-5 bars where I got 1-2, easily get 12 hours on a battery with heavy usage and 18 with moderate usage vs 10 with moderate Incredible usage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: kath00

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I too REALLY miss the kickstand. It's amazing the way it helps you hold onto the phone even when you aren't propping it up to watch a movie.

I'm glad to hear that some people are enjoying the Razr. It just goes to show that personal preference is everything when it comes to phones. One phone will never make everyone happy.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So did anyone else go and grab a Razr while we wait for the Nexus? I figured since my wife needed a new phone and they have the new return policy, I might as well.

To be honest, I am very unimpressed overall with it. The form factor does not feel comfortable in my hand at all. It's almost as if it is TOO thin. My thunderbolt fit the form of my hand as I wrapped around it. This thing only touches my hands on the corners and I have almost dropped it a couple times.

The LTE radio is very weak. My thunderbolt got 4g almost constantly here in baltimore, indoors and out. The Razr rarely gets 4g indoors, but once you step outside, it has full bars...pretty useless to me since I don't live/work outdoors.

The volume buttons are nearly impossible to press without directly looking at them, not a big deal, but an annoyance.

I'm not terribly impressed with the screen...it looks like a normal screen. Nothing special...nothing bad either.

Basically what I am getting at...I think waiting for the Nexus is going to be worth it. While I've always admired Moto phones, there is just something that isn't right with the Razr and I don't enjoy it. Anyone else have opinions on it while we wait?

No, I didn't. Given some of the problems that I have read about which are similar to the Bionics, I have no plans too either. I tried it out a bit at the local VZW store and it isn't that impressive to me.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Still back and forth on this. Seems that the Razr with ICS might be better for ME than the Galaxy Nexus. My main drive for the GNex though, that 720p display.

Shappy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Since coming from ATT I have started with the Charge, Then the Bionic and now I have the Razr. The Charge had terrible battery life and lost LTE connection all the time, the Bionic had great battery life and I really liked it but I admit I was seduced by the screen on the Razr nothing else and it doesn't seem like I am getting anything from the Smart Actions so I am awaiting the Galaxy Nexus but am not sure if I will make the change again. By the way I am in Baltimore as well and it seems like LTE coverage goes out a lot or is it just me.

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Since coming from ATT I have started with the Charge, Then the Bionic and now I have the Razr. The Charge had terrible battery life and lost LTE connection all the time, the Bionic had great battery life and I really liked it but I admit I was seduced by the screen on the Razr nothing else and it doesn't seem like I am getting anything from the Smart Actions so I am awaiting the Galaxy Nexus but am not sure if I will make the change again. By the way I am in Baltimore as well and it seems like LTE coverage goes out a lot or is it just me.

Let me tell you, LTE coverage in Baltimore is fantastic. I have had the thunderbolt since the day it came out and I get mostly 3/4 and 4/4 bars of LTE signal just about anywhere I go inside or even relatively near the beltway. I live in Columbia (outside the beltway) and the coverage in awesome. But with my Razr, I lost coverage now inside buildings and sometimes even outside. I think it is def the radio on the phone, not the network.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I got my Razr about a week ago and I am not impressed either.........can't wait to send it back to Verizon used for the Nexus

Shappy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The only problem that I have seen with the Thunderbolt that friends have is that he barely gets 4 hours of battery life and he isn't a heavy user and I am wondering if the rezound has the same issue

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Moto stated that the Razr is so thin because the developers were working on a way to make very thin batteries and when they presented their new battery, management said "hey this should be our new Razr" so it was all battery related. I would post the link to this story but I honestly don't think anyone really cares. They reached diminishing returns in my opinion when it came to thinness. It is very odd to hold, not comfortable, thus I decided to stick w/ my Galaxy S Fasinate over the Razr and the fasy screen was actually nicer when viewing youtube HD videos side by side. so meh...

Reactions: FishPharm

khuujo9809

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

To be honest, I am very unimupressed overall with it. The form factor does not feel comfortable in my hand at all. It's almost as if it is TOO thin. My thunderbolt fit the form of my hand as I wrapped around it. This thing only touches my hands on the corners and I have almost dropped it a couple times.

i thought the razors button on the side felt better to reach for than if it had been on the top. I also liked how the charging port and headphone jack were on the top because the wires never seemed to get in my way. The camera seemed fuzzy on the razor but the rezound had a way crisppier picture. I liked the fact that the razor could do panoramic shots, but liked how the rezound could do sloiw motion videos. The screen on the razor was definitely better on the razor than the rezound. the battery sucked on the rezound and the razor won in that department. I could not get a steady 4G connection on the razor like I did on the rezound so the rezound won in that department. The design of the razor stood out and the rezound just looked like everyother HTC that's already out so the razor won in the design category. The razor was lighter but wider than the over weight rezound. The razors external speaker was way louder than the rezounds speaker. Both phones had an option to change the sound quality but the razor had the option of changing it on the outside speaker. When the headphones or car audio were connected the rezound , w/beats audio on sounded just slightly crisper than the razors but I would still choose the razor because it was the louder phone of the two. In conclusion both phones stood out in various areas I would nudge the razor in first because of sound quality and overall build quality. I rented both for 7 days each. sad to return them because I got the razor one day before Verizon changed their return policy :(..

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I WISH I had rented the Razr!! I got an iPhone 4s, which I fully planned on passing down to my DD for Christmas and getting the GNex for myself. But now my DD has my Droid X (long story, got replacement on dead phone and she took it) and she loves it and she doesn't really want the iPhone anymore. I HATE the iPhone and have been drooling for just about any droid again until GNex comes out.

I am seriously thinking of taking back the 4s and just playing with my old Droid 1 until the GNex comes out. Blech.

Katherine

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non