Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I try to act morally and ethically in my life, although we all know that that means different things to different people, and nothing at all to certain people.

I would probably return it, but with a few conditions. In your case, I would ask for some sort of loner phone until the actual release date, and a guarantee that they will hold one for you. I would not ask for the Galaxy Nexus to be free, I would not demand that they let me buy one for contract price off-contract -- nothing like that. I might hint at a gift card, but definitely would not demand it.

What I would demand is answers. Ask them exactly who is demanding that they recover that phone. Work them a bit, and find out if there is any contact with Verizon Wireless in there. If so, clearly state that you will gladly return the phone in exchange for nothing but a loner phone, so long as you get answers. Why has this phone been delayed? What are the alleged "software problems" that were mentioned? WHEN IS THE REAL RELEASE DATE? And last, but certainly not least, demand in writing a statement from Best Buy indicating that the employee that sold the phone to you will not be fired or reprimanded in any way, shape, or form.

That's what I would do. Financial compensation is great, but I think there are a million other ways to stick it to Best Buy without being overly greedy. All of those things are things that Best Buy could easily arrange. If they were getting hounded by Verizon, they could easily set you up with the person to talk to if they told that person that speaking to you would result in the recovery of the device. And if you demanded that the employee not be punished in any way, I think that would pay dividends for you karma-wise. :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't get what the deal is whether a customer knew or didn't know if it should be sold or not.
The guy went in the store and asked for a product, and was sold one.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I try to act morally and ethically in my life, although we all know that that means different things to different people, and nothing at all to certain people.

I would probably return it, but with a few conditions. In your case, I would ask for some sort of loner phone until the actual release date, and a guarantee that they will hold one for you. I would not ask for the Galaxy Nexus to be free, I would not demand that they let me buy one for contract price off-contract -- nothing like that. I might hint at a gift card, but definitely would not demand it.

What I would demand is answers. Ask them exactly who is demanding that they recover that phone. Work them a bit, and find out if there is any contact with Verizon Wireless in there. If so, clearly state that you will gladly return the phone in exchange for nothing but a loner phone, so long as you get answers. Why has this phone been delayed? What are the alleged "software problems" that were mentioned? WHEN IS THE REAL RELEASE DATE? And last, but certainly not least, demand in writing a statement from Best Buy indicating that the employee that sold the phone to you will not be fired or reprimanded in any way, shape, or form.

That's what I would do. Financial compensation is great, but I think there are a million other ways to stick it to Best Buy without being overly greedy. All of those things are things that Best Buy could easily arrange. If they were getting hounded by Verizon, they could easily set you up with the person to talk to if they told that person that speaking to you would result in the recovery of the device. And if you demanded that the employee not be punished in any way, I think that would pay dividends for you karma-wise. :)

Because best buy is going to know any of the answers to the questions you want him to ask? Really?:confused::confused:

Reactions: crzycrkr

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If your conscience can live with the consequences of keeping the phone you purchased, then keep it. But it is on your conscience/soul not only your consequences, but also the consequences for all involved (i.e. reprimands, etc. for BB employees, etc), and you will answer on the day of your judgement by your God.
So your saying this will happen?

guinnkevinr: is this heaven?

God: Yes son...but you remember back in 2011 when you kept that Galaxy Nexus?

guinnkevinr: yes it was a great phone

God: Well your going to hell for it

guinnkevinr: huh?

God: Sorry sometimes you get the elevator but this time you get the shaft...

Rebel908

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My word, who knew there were so many pious folk around?

My opinion is: If you are okay with keeping it, keep it, and say you'll complain to the Better Business Bureau that they are practicing unreasonable measures against their employees if the associate who sold it to you ends up being terminated.

It is my opinion that it was the responsibility of the store managers to inform their employees if the item was for sale or not. If they were not informed, then it falls on the lap of the supervisor, because he/she did not inform his/her employees.

They have no legal claim to the device anymore. If the device was sold, it is now your possession, and it is not compulsory to return said device. Their are consumer protection laws after all, and this is nothing short of breaking street date, which, at most, the store may see a small reprimand for a mistake.

There is nothing legal that compels you to return the device. Anything they say that says that you do may as well be interpreted as intimidation or coercion. Stores break street date all the time, and if they managed to activate the device for you, as far as I see it, no skin of your nose.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
bringing religion and god in this thread.. is just ridiculous. really can't believe the initial poster brought it up.. some things you just don't randomly start discussing on a forum full of countless views and mindsets.. religion is one.

especially when it's bogus.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could just see what happened with the OP, instead of skimming through some of these ridiculous posts lol

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just return it and use their loaner

129077118795323673.jpg

Mooondog

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow... what a sad commentary on people in general.

Yes...of course....legally, he probably doesn't have to return it. Everyone gets that.

Even the "dumb" employees have families to feed, kids to take care of. This isn't about "well....little ole me is gonna stick it to Best Buy!!! wooo hoooo!!..". BB will survive. It's a non-issue in the end for them.

However, for the dopes who sold you the phone, it could get ugly.

So, do the DECENT thing.....not because you give a rats about BB. I certainly don't. But because there's actually a person or two at the store who are in serious crap for a mistake they made.

As for the others, I hope they aren't raising any kids.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My Wireless Device Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

I.e...brick your phone.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

caseydietz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

And when you find this out, please post back here as quickly as possible for those of us who didn't get one.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My Wireless Device Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

I.e...brick your phone.

So your point was?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So, do the DECENT thing.....not because you give a rats about BB. I certainly don't. But because there's actually a person or two at the store who are in serious crap for a mistake they made.

As for the others, I hope they aren't raising any kids.
It will be good for them, as through trial they will grow.

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe what I read. A lot of you are making him a bad guy because he asked for something and it got sold to him? All I'm saying is it's easy for people looking from the outside to make comments without being in your shoes. You did nothing wrong, you aren't obligated to do anything. I doubt Best Buy or Verizon will pursue this.

Reactions: joker42179

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Op said he was going in after work, so around 8:00. he should be there now.
I would ask for a Rezound in the meantime and $300 gift card + all accessories to cover the cost of the phone if this thing ever gets released which I'm starting to seriously doubt. Also, the employee would need to keep his job, considering that managers were involved as well. BB would only be out $300 and could settle up with Verizon.
Everyone wins.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
my $.02 and humble opinion concerning the moral obligations of returning the nexus (and this is coming from someone who is a store manager of a very well known chain retailer)

at my store, regularly receive product in advance of its sales date. we receive specific instructions to not sell this product until the scheduled release date. if we try to, a huge warning pops up in our POS to inform us the product is dated for a specific date. this warning is completely by-passable, and where i work, it doesnt even require approval of a manager to bypass it. even an entry level employee could if they wanted to. if i choose, as a salesperson, to bypass that warning, i would also expect to suffer whatever consequences came from that. if that means written discipline or termination, that sucks for me, but i also should have adhered to the POS warning. it seems like the best buy employees that sold this guy the nexus had to jump through some hoops to do it, and should have known that the phone wasnt supposed to be sold. if someone gets disciplined for this mistake, thats the breaks for not following the proper procedures that were in place. its not the OP's responsibility to fix Best Buy's mistake for them

As far as it being the "right thing to do," consider this hypothetical scenario: you buy a phone from whoever. sign a new contract and the whole nine. the return policy for said phone and to get out of the phone contract with no penalty was 14 days. lets say 45 days later, you have a financial crisis and need to get out of that phone contract because you need the money back because you made a mistake and lets say didnt pay off an interest free loan on time and got hit with a massive interest penalty. is that big company going to bend over backwards to help you out? it would be the decent thing to do, and if youre really lucky and theyre looking to go above and beyond in the customer service department they just might. but the bottom line is, they wouldnt be obligated to, they arent the ones who caused you to forget to pay your loan, and chances are youre going to get the "sorry, theres nothing we can do" line, be stuck with the phone, and have to pay a $300 ETF to get out of the cell contract. should the company have to help that customer out? absolutely not, just as the OP should not have to return that device to Best Buy because they messed up.

again, just my thoughts on the subject

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
The updates that they have put together in 4.0.2 and 4.1 fix the connectivity problems. We know that much from testers and leaks. As far as I know, none of the people that got one early have gotten any updates.

I am pretty sure I mentioned there being a possible issue with software or something on the backend. My stance though is that although there might be more to it you can be assured that devices will A) work perfectly and activate through the system without a hitch at launch, or B) the stores will have to flash/OTA new software to each customer with the launch stock of phones that are out and being distributed. Early adopters and testers all being accounted for there are probably a few that have to keep their voices down if only to avoid lots of bad press about these phones.

Nasty stuff can be said/thrown around before a launch, and most of it if handled by the right people never gets to be seen by the end user. It was just pre-release drama. This phone has had it's share with things that matter like the specs, but that is justified since it's easy to get into debates over specs. The worst situation for sales is to make a bad impression on the customers.

Hypothetically what happens if for some reason 2,000 phones released before launch out of 10,000 have no service? It would mean on headlines that 1/5th of all samsung phones are bad! Really there could be a database error and only 4000 out of 12 million actually share this issue with the network. The fear of that happening is real because of the potential customer loss. VZW and other companies have a lot to lose with a bad launch, and so far it isn't exactly stellar ;)