Have You Returned Your GN Due To Signal Issues?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
So far had the GN phone a week and struggling to feel positive with all the signal issues and no word of an update to fix.

I mostly see -120dBm 99asu in Kissimmee Florida area and often get "Signal Communication Problem"when trying to browse without WiFi.

Today I missed 3 important calls and two hours later had 3 Visual Voicemails finally download.

Love everything else about the phone and really don't want to return but I get the feeling I wouldn't be alone if I did. Coming from a Blackberry Bold with no reception issues or missed calls, it's hard to accept the poor reception of a flagship device. My VZ store suggest I move to a Razr.

How much longer can we wait for a fix or at least find out of this is hardware or software related?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't missed any calls. It also seems to me that I'm doing better signal wise since the network went down earlier this week and then came back up.

At this point, I have no plans to return the phone. My phone signal isn't significantly different than what I see on the Bionic when they are side by side. Then again, the Bionic has had signal issues as well since it was released.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am north of you in the Orlando area.

I disabled 4G and am running CDMA only (3G). So far it has improved battery life because the phone is not constantly trying to maintain the 4G connection. I also have no problems with call reception, app download, internet surfing and app updates. My Starbucks app updates quickly and runs far better than it did on my DX.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I did have a brief signal issue at work with data and its outside the 4g coverage area here. I had to go pick up annual company Christmas lunch stuff and didn't have any more issues with data at work when I returned.
I still was able to use the phone tho and haven't had any dropped or missed calls.
When I'm outside the 4g coverage from now on going to keep it on 3g .The battery life wasn't really affected for me at work.I do live inside the 4g coverage btw.
I'm not going to be taking mine back I'm sure the issues will be fixed quick and realize they are worse for some more then others depending on your location.IMO I'd wouldn't swap it in quite yet tho as soon as you do the fix will be out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

LangHoo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
How much longer can we wait for a fix or at least find out of this is hardware or software related?

I wouldn't wait. Verizon says no issue and most owners have no signal issues. If you live in an area where you are having a problem with reception either take it back and get another phone or move. But I wouldn't hold my breath for a "fix".

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, the sensitivity, hand off from 4G to 3G or whatever is impacting reception, is worse on the Nexus than other LTE phones. In weaker areas where I'm having issues, I get #s very similar to yours. Fortunately my issues aren't nearly as bad as yours. I haven't missed or dropped a call yet, but I have had some data issues where 2 other LTE phones I've owned were fine. I did have one other LTE phone that had these issues, only worse, and that was a Samsung too.

In your case, my advice is to make your decision operating under the assumption that it won't improve. Others will tell you there will be updates, they're working on it, theyll refer you to the Anandtech article, yadda yadda yadda. But this is YOUR phone and almost all of those people giving that advice are having no problems because of the area they're in. When I go to weak signal areas I get your issues, if I'm in a strong or moderate signal area I have no issues. It's the weaker areas that the phones with better radios excel.

You may want to give the Bionic or Rezound a shot as they do have better radios and apparently your area needs a phone with a better radio. Now keep in mind I'm operating under the assumption you do live in a weak signal area. If your area is actually good, you may have a defective phone. Have you noticed if your phone drops out of 4G or 3G while at a VZW store? Do their display phones do the same thing or are they more stable? That's a good starting point to determine if your phone is defective or the norm.

That was the first thing I did and found that my Nexus was performing no differently than any of the store's Nexus.

If and until there's an update to the radio that works, you just have to realize the Nexus radio is not as effective or stable in problematic areas as some others.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I think at home my GN does have a slight worse signal, but everywhere else it seems to be about that same as my old thunderbolt. all in all, the phone is performing fantastic. i couldn't be happier. :)

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I stopped looking at how many bars I have. So far I have not missed or dropped any calls. The 4G speeds seem to be the same or better than I got on my Bionic regardless to how many bars I have.

Im not worried.

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was the phone but when i have lets say "full bars" i might get ok 4g speeds but when then i did a speed test with 1-2 bars i got really high speeds. I think the phone is not correctly calculating something. If you are missing calls which i am not i would get a new phone calls though are not 4g yet so you may have a deeper issue than data speeds. hope it works out

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I suspect as other's have it's more than likely a issue with the radio software so once we get an update we should be in better shape. I've only had a couple of issues where I was in fringe areas where I had no service temporarily... however switching to "CDMA only" resolved it both times so it's not the end of the world for me. It's a great phone, and will get better so keeping mine :)

My wife has the Razr, and definitely prefer the Nexus over the bloated interface and a ton of preloaded apps so I live with the current glitches that will get better...

-Mike

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Much weaker 3G signal than my OG, CDMA only or not. I'm sticking it out until Jan 16th... If it's not better, I'll consider moving to a Rezound or for the next big thing....

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was the phone but when i have lets say "full bars" i might get ok 4g speeds but when then i did a speed test with 1-2 bars i got really high speeds. I think the phone is not correctly calculating something. If you are missing calls which i am not i would get a new phone calls though are not 4g yet so you may have a deeper issue than data speeds. hope it works out

I've have had this experience. No bars displayed, but still getting like 15mbps down. That's an issue I'll gladly accept! With 4 bars, I get like 50mbps and above. I have no complaints with this phone. I had the bionic for about a week at launch, and it never even got a 4G signal at my house. That could be due to market expansion since then, however. At home I get 1-2 bars with the Nexus... 4 miles down the road I get 4 bars. Smokin'!

*customized tapatalk signature*

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have not missed a single call and I missed them all the time with my OG Droid and Fascinate. Both showed stronger (I guess fake) signals too. I'm always 1 - 2 bars on 4G at my house and work consistently on the Gnex. I also use google voice so I always know if a call is missed when my phone didn't ring at all. Just hasn't happened yet.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - I turned off 4g and will see if it improves. I'm impressed with the positive comments and will hang on for another week. Signal strength in the Verizon store is about 2 bars with around 20dBm less than a Razr. I got the feeling that many GN owners switched to a Rezound or Razr by now but these comments are very encouraging. Thanks again.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I consistently have 4 bars on 3G in a small town here in Michigan, 30-40 minutes away from any major city in the area. I am perfectly happy with the signal.

nicrom72

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm in St Petersburg and consitantly have 3-4 bars at home and at work in Clearwater. So far I have seen zero issues mentioned with this phone and I'm happy with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87