Just Got My New GNex!

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Since Amazon can't even tell me how much the GNex will be or when they will get it in stock, I went ahead and bought it for $300 at the VZW store.

So far, it has been fighting to hold a 4G signal upstairs at 1 bar (I know, I know, bars don't count), and downstairs it can't get 4G at all. Unfortunately, everyone I know has an iPhone so I can't compare the GNex to another phone in the house.

Another thing that bugged me was when I hung up from a phone call, the speaker made this wierd staticy noise. WTF? It sounded like the speaker was blown.

I will be going back to the store tomorrow to compare my signal to the display phones.

How do I do the speed test? Sorry for being so clueless, this is my first Android phone. Actually it is my first smartphone, but I am a fast learner.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Download "Speed Test" on the Android Market. You may have to do the same thing for the display phone at VZW as often they don't have it on the phone.

Don't just use speed test, try loading some graphics intensive web pages on both phones. Often I've found little correlation between the Speed Test results and practical things like simply loading web pages. To me that's more important than the Speed Test results.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yea forget about how many bars u have. If u really want to see your signal, go to settings, about phone, and select status. The bigger the db number (-83db is bigger then-120db) the better the signal. I've had full bars and -83db, also had 1bar at the same db.

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It sucks but this is a known issue with the nexus and will get fixed in the next software update hopefully also the static I don't hear it anymore on 4.0.3 roms anymore

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarryMe

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to android!

I decided to get another line on the family share plan with the gnex, and activate a dumbphone on the new line, problem is i ordered online on Sunday, and it didnt ship out until today (silly fed ex) so I have to wait until Thursday to get it. Im sure it will be worth the wait!

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to android!

I decided to get another line on the family share plan with the gnex, and activate a dumbphone on the new line, problem is i ordered online on Sunday, and it didnt ship out until today (silly fed ex) so I have to wait until Thursday to get it. Im sure it will be worth the wait!

Its def worth, just don't get too mad as we are early adopters. So there will b some hickups, but they will get smoothed out for sure.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
+1 on just got mine yesterday. It's an amazingly fast phone. I'm running on 4g only today to see how the battery fares. So far I've been texting all morning with -103db. Looks like about 25% of the battery has been used after 3 hours.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
CarryMe, how is your signal when you are outside?

I have noticed when I am indoors the signal decreases significantly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87