No Data when my signal bars go grey

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too with Juice Defender, drove me nuts as well. Also, why do the bars go grey when I make calls? Everythimg works fine, the signal bars just go from blue to grey while in call, then blue again when call is finished. Suppose to do this?

clicq0

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too with Juice Defender, drove me nuts as well. Also, why do the bars go grey when I make calls? Everythimg works fine, the signal bars just go from blue to grey while in call, then blue again when call is finished. Suppose to do this?

I think this is normal if you're in a 3G area, since the phone can't do simultaneous voice and data on 3G.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Blue means you have access to Google services. Gray means you don't. If you don't have a data connection, you don't have access to Google services so your bars will be gray. However, that doesn't mean data never works when they're gray.

Huh? I've never once got any kind of data when my bars are gray. I think you're wrong. Gray simply means the dreaded 'no data connectivity'.

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It just happened again but this time the bars weren't just grey, there was no 3G symbol at all. I looked in the phone status and it said mobile network disconnected. Had to reboot. This is getting very annoying.

kcannon

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this problem when my phone switches from 4g to 3g and it takes a long time for it to adjust back. This needs to be fixed!

jball8276

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I had Juice Defender installed and was getting the grey bars quite often, un-installed it yesterday, I haven't seen the grey bars at all since.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bdnyy23

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue using 2x Battery, it was great at extending battery life when not using the phone, but when I would turn on the screen I usually had to wait up to 5 minutes to get my data connection back. The battery life increase was not worth the wait for data, so I uninstalled 2x and haven't had problem since.

akalmand

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
for me it is happening a lot. Quite frequently. I initially thought it was data widget, and it got better for a while after uninstalling. But now it is back to b4. I have to restart the phone every morning after leaving wifi area at home to get 3g data. It is painfully annoying. Don't know what to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

motodunner

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This has been happening to me constantly throughout the day. Sometimes it only last for ten to twenty seconds and sometimes it needs a reboot to bring connectivity back.

I am in Salem Oregon with no 4G. I just keep hoping it is because Verizon is working on 4G in the area.

Not rooted

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
same with me. I leave it on wifi at home, but that's not really testing the phone. Everytime I bring it off wifi, I get grey bars for a while...then the blue. At the mall today, I also lost all the data for a few minutes for no reason

daso

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess my question at this point is whether I should even bother calling VZW technical support to see if they can figure it out? I know they'll say lets do this and that then ultimately say that they can replace the phone. I love the phone, but this issue alone is making me wonder whether I should return my GN by the 14th and just use my Thunderbolt again until something else comes out. Thing lost all signal while I was on a call and I had to wait until the signal came back to make a call. My phone is stock, unrooted and no juice defender.

Realist

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
i recently updated to 4.0.4 thinking (hoping) this would fix the problem but it has happened twice since... doesn't feel like it is happening as often but i can't sit there and stare at the bars all day either... my preferred network mode is always on cdma... NOT lte/cdma even though i frequently travel to 4g area...

more info:
in our house (non 4g area) my phone sitting next to my gfs rezound she will have 3 bars i will have zero to one but can make clear calls with no problems...

also, is there a program that monitors when we lose data signal so when i go into vzn i can show them the problem... the chances of going in there and showing them grey bars would be slim since it's random

i need some clarification... i see people talk about radio updates and low signal strength... was 4.0.4 supposed to fix this problem or is this a hardware problem and i need to exchange my phone...

there is some talk about bad batches... phones put together in china or korea... has anyone actually clarified this... my phone was manufactured in korea

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The radios are flashed independently of the system upgrade- just going to 4.0.4 on ICS will not give you the upgraded 4.0.4 radios.

There is a nice post in this forum that explains why the signal meters might show different results for different phones. The bottom line is, ICS measures the signal differently than non-ICS phones and you cannot compare them directly.

I only know how to get the new radios if you have a custom Recovery loaded... then it is very easy. If you got the latest stock on there without flashing Clockwork Recovery, then I am not sure you can get them on. If you DO have CWM, then get the file here and flash-

[CDMA][Radio][Bootloader]4.0.4 IMM76K Radios and Bootloader - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87