MMS wont send with wifi enabled

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If Im using wifi and need to send a picture via mms, I have to disable wifi before it will send. If I send it before I disable wifi, it wont send and I have to re send it once i disable wifi. I realize its not going to send over my network, but it should at least use the phone data connection. It seems to have a problem doing that. Anyone else have this issue?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If Im using wifi and need to send a picture via mms, I have to disable wifi before it will send. If I send it before I disable wifi, it wont send and I have to re send it once i disable wifi. I realize its not going to send over my network, but it should at least use the phone data connection. It seems to have a problem doing that. Anyone else have this issue?

I just tested this for you. I sent a pic to my girlfriend's phone and it says it sent okay. I havent heard back from her yet to know whether or not she got it. Does the phone give you an error when you try to send it? or does the person on the other side tell you they didn't receive it?

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

you might wanna try rebooting your phone and try again. sometimes i get hangups when switching from 4g to 3g and wifi on and off.

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just tested this for you. I sent a pic to my girlfriend's phone and it says it sent okay. I havent heard back from her yet to know whether or not she got it. Does the phone give you an error when you try to send it? or does the person on the other side tell you they didn't receive it?
No error. It just sits there with "sending...." And the person doesnt receive it. I will reboot and try again to see what happens, but this has been a consistent issue.

zmonster1

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you using any type of battery saver app? I am using Juicedefener and it took a few tries before I got all the settings exactly right.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No error. It just sits there with "sending...." And the person doesnt receive it. I will reboot and try again to see what happens, but this has been a consistent issue.

if after a reboot it still doesnt work, it could be settings in the wifi you are connecting to. Try a different access point when you get a chance. If you are using free public wifi from a restaraunt like mcdonalds they sometimes block data going from and coming to your device until you accept a usage policy in your browser.

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It worked after a reboot. I will see what it does when I leave and come back. Maybe it is a switching error of some sort.

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me every time I try to attach a picture to a text at home using wi-fi. Haven't tried it on 4g. It just sits there saying sending no matter how many times I re-send it. I have only gotten it to go through 1 time. In fact I sent a Christmas picture on X-mas eve and my sister got it the day after X-mas. Guess I'll try a reboot- Kinda new to Android- what's the best way to do this?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me every time I try to attach a picture to a text at home using wi-fi. Haven't tried it on 4g. It just sits there saying sending no matter how many times I re-send it. I have only gotten it to go through 1 time. In fact I sent a Christmas picture on X-mas eve and my sister got it the day after X-mas. Guess I'll try a reboot- Kinda new to Android- what's the best way to do this?

press and hold the lock button down till the phone vibrates. An option screen will appear. You can shut down from there.

Reactions: Papasmerf

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
press and hold the lock button down till the phone vibrates. An option screen will appear. You can shut down from there.

OK- thanks. I shut my phone off every night so a reboot does not help to send picture texts. I thought I was the only one having issues with the sending message.

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Im pretty sure it's a signal issue....usually when the signal is low it'll have trouble sending the pics..it's a pain

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, I've never had any issues with sending pic messages while on wifi. I'm on wifi all the time at home and I've sent the wife at least 5 messages within 15 minutes one night (she wanted me to send her a few wallpapers) and they sent and were delivered within 10 seconds.

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Still having this issue but now it's with my wife's picture texts. I was with my ski club last night so I was on 3g and got a picture text from my sister just fine. When I got home my wife showed me the 2 picture texts she sent me and I didn't receive either. She also sent them to a few others who all got them. I don't know what to do at this point. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't, and most of the time when I send it just says sending. Any help? Should I contact Verizon? It's kind of annoying paying for a text plan that doesn't really work.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i dont think you can send MMS via WiFi. When i was on Bionic and Connected to Wifi, when i send a MMS the 4G would kick in for 5secs then disappear-
MMS uses 3G/4G Data, where on the other hand SMS uses the Voice-

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
i dont think you can send MMS via WiFi. When i was on Bionic and Connected to Wifi, when i send a MMS the 4G would kick in for 5secs then disappear-
MMS uses 3G/4G Data, where on the other hand SMS uses the Voice-

This would actually make sense of it all. After I tested this yesterday I had problems sending messages to that one specific person for the rest of the day. It would fail, so I would resend it immediately and then it would work on the second time around. It happened with almost every mesage after the initial picture that converted the thread to MMS. When I switched off of Wifi, everything sent fine. After I deleted that thread and started a new one with that same person messages sent over wifi just fine again.

Maybe the phone is trying to do the same thing and after the thread is converted to an MMS message its reconnecting to 3/4g, but because of the issues we are having with the radios switching between data its causing the messages not to send?

Very weird issue I had never seen it before in any other phone.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
This would actually make sense of it all. After I tested this yesterday I had problems sending messages to that one specific person for the rest of the day. It would fail, so I would resend it immediately and then it would work on the second time around. It happened with almost every mesage after the initial picture that converted the thread to MMS. When I switched off of Wifi, everything sent fine. After I deleted that thread and started a new one with that same person messages sent over wifi just fine again.

Maybe the phone is trying to do the same thing and after the thread is converted to an MMS message its reconnecting to 3/4g, but because of the issues we are having with the radios switching between data its causing the messages not to send?

Very weird issue I had never seen it before in any other phone.

ive sent MMS when im connected to WiFi when im using the GNex. Ive never seen the 4G/3G show up like it did on my Bionic-

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
ive sent MMS when im connected to WiFi when im using the GNex. Ive never seen the 4G/3G show up like it did on my Bionic-

EDIT: As far as uploading or downloading the media you are sending in the MMS, that much can be done over wifi, but receiving or sending the actual MMS message must be done over 3/4g AFAIK because it has to go through Verizon's network to get to the other person's phone. That way they can also keep track of your SMS and MMS usage

finger11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Going to chime in on this... I've had the same problem with receiving/sending MMS with my HTC Eris and now the G-nex. I can't send or receive over Wifi, it will just try and stall. What I have to do is reboot the phone, stop the Wifi, connect to 3g/4g and then download the file.

I'm not sure if I've tried to download a MMS over 3g/4g before trying over Wifi, I think I've always tried over Wifi then always had to reboot the phone to get the pic.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
MMS downloads through Wi-Fi now, normal for LTE phones?

in the past, if i am on Wi-Fi and receive a MMS, my 3G would turn back on to download it.
Now with my galaxy nexus 4G, I noticed the 3G or 4G doesn't kick back on and it appears it downloads it through Wi-Fi. Just curious if that's how all 4G phones work, or if my phone is lieing and is really downloading through 3G/4G.
Regardless, I like that it downloads through Wi-Fi. Didn't understand why in the past that wasn't possible. I work in an area with bad signal, so MMS messages would take a while to download on my old phone.