Windows won't mount phone

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Last night I was transferring files to / from my phone (Verizon GN) and then I unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, the phone is no longer recognized as a storage device. Actually, nothing is seen at all in the Device Manager when I plug it in now. ADB no longer see's the phone either, but I'm guessing that's because Windows isn't detecting anything is plugged in.

I have this issue with two Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones. One is unlocked and rooted. The other is stock.

I'm guessing this is a Windows issue now, but I'm stuck.

I've rebooted the phones, battery pulled, etc. Turned off the computer and turned it back on as well and the issue remains.

I'm using Windows 7
I've set it to Media device (MTP) and tried Camera (PTP)
Tried with and without USB debugging
The phones charge when plugged in to USB
All other USB devices I have work normally
Plugged phones in to the same USB plug that works for other devices such as a USB mouse and didn't help.

Any thoughts?

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have 1 usb port on the front of my computer that doesn't play nice w/ my Xoom & Gnex all the time. Switching USB ports seems to fix this.

Didn't care enough to investigate further as to why this was happening since witching usb ports solved the issue.

Reactions: Blah

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Make sure it says "connected as a media device" on the phone when you plug it in. There is a different setting that allows the phone to be seen as a camera on the USB port, for interacting with camera-based apps.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

They are connecting as a media device. I even factory reset the non-rooted one and Windows still doesn't even have it listed in the device list.

I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted to see if the device manager would even detect anything being plugged in. Didn't help. :(

Any other ideas with Windows?

The phone is saying it's charging via USB, so it knows that it's plugged in to USB. However, even with USB debugging turned on, it doesn't have any USB debugging icons appear when plugged in. I'm not sure if those appear only when mounted as a storage device or not though.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

They are connecting as a media device. I even factory reset the non-rooted one and Windows still doesn't even have it listed in the device list.

I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted to see if the device manager would even detect anything being plugged in. Didn't help. :(

Any other ideas with Windows?

The phone is saying it's charging via USB, so it knows that it's plugged in to USB. However, even with USB debugging turned on, it doesn't have any USB debugging icons appear when plugged in. I'm not sure if those appear only when mounted as a storage device or not though.

Do these steps with the nexus plugged in. Mine works fine so the only thing I can think of is go to the windows menu on the bottom left and right click on computer. Click manage and wait for the computer management to open and then on the left click device manager and then look for portable devices and click the plus sign next to it. Right click on the galaxy nexus or whatever it calls it under that menu and click uninstall and then let it completely uninstall including driver software. Then unplug you nexus and plug it back in which should make it reinstall all the original drivers.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem. With mine the battery wouldn't even charge. I tested my G/N with two usb cables, on two different computers and even did a factory reset. When I got to my work computer the unit was recognized. I think the problem is the usb cables. I have had several fail over the last couple of months, those two were bad. Now let me say that I buy the cheapest I can find on ebay so maybe you get what you pay for.
I also have one of the dual port Verizon car chargers. Yeah, the one for over $20. The main usb connector won't charge the device anymore unless I hold it just so. Maybe it isn't just the cheap ones.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. With mine the battery wouldn't even charge. I tested my G/N with two usb cables, on two different computers and even did a factory reset. When I got to my work computer the unit was recognized. I think the problem is the usb cables. I have had several fail over the last couple of months, those two were bad. Now let me say that I buy the cheapest I can find on ebay so maybe you get what you pay for.
I also have one of the dual port Verizon car chargers. Yeah, the one for over $20. The main usb connector won't charge the device anymore unless I hold it just so. Maybe it isn't just the cheap ones.

I'm starting to think it's the cable. I'll have to wait until Monday to go to work and see if it works there. I have a different cable there as well.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I realize this doesn't directly answer your question -- but WiFi Explorer is so superior to messing around with the data cable; I can't resist suggesting that you give it a shot. You literally open it up, type in an IP address into your browser, and then use an awesome web based management console to manage files to and from your device. It's also a heck of a lot faster in terms of data transfer speeds.

The same is true of ADB wireless for ADB and the WiFi version of iSyncr for music sync.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Using windows 7 I had problems too until I downloaded the Samsung drivers while logged on to windows as an administrator. Even then what I found was that I could copy files as long as the destination folder was not open...just drop the files ontop of the folder you want them to go in...but don't open it until the operation is finished.

Have to agree with Corey...I got Wifi Explorer and it is really nice. I made a bookmark in my browser that points to the IP address. I start Wifi Explorer, click on my bookmark ....bam...the phone directories are displayed in my browser and you click and see the files and and I can copy, paste....do whatever...right from within my browser no need for cables.

REALLY NICE.

Apollo_Warrior

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue:
USB is plugged into computer and is charging the phone, but will not enter usb debugging mode, the computer will no longer recognize the phone!

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue:
USB is plugged into computer and is charging the phone, but will not enter usb debugging mode, the computer will no longer recognize the phone!

I notice this happening to android samsung phones.. Had the same thing happen on my girls samsung infuse.. One day it just stopped being recognized on any computer... Had to get a warranty replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress