Screen Burn-in

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I've searched, but never really found anything on my specific case. I drive 4-6 hours a day, and I like to leave the screen on for nav, music, etc. Well I now I have the pause, next, and previous buttons from Music burnt in to my screen! It has been like that for 4 days now and I have been keeping the screen off while driving, I'm not sure if they are starting to fade or not. My question is; can I not keep this phone screen on for long periods of time like I could with my Droid X or OG Droid? Any possible way to get rid of the burnt in Music buttons?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've searched, but never really found anything on my specific case. I drive 4-6 hours a day, and I like to leave the screen on for nav, music, etc. Well I now I have the pause, next, and previous buttons from Music burnt in to my screen! It has been like that for 4 days now and I have been keeping the screen off while driving, I'm not sure if they are starting to fade or not. My question is; can I not keep this phone screen on for long periods of time like I could with my Droid X or OG Droid? Any possible way to get rid of the burnt in Music buttons?

Im actually kind of impressed that you didnt say the soft buttons "Back, HOme, Recent apps" were burned in.

With a SAMOLED Screen, which is what the GNex has, it is not a good idea to leave the same image on your screen for hours at a time, especially if your brightness is all the way up and what you are leaving on your screen is white, because burn-in is an issue with these types of screens. Basically, what happened is this: the little pixels that are now showing the burn-in have worn down and are dimmer because of it. This is, in 90% of cases, a permanent thing and the only option for a fix is to have it replaced.

To avoid future burn ins, try to avoid leaving a static image on your screen for longer than a few minutes at a time. It sucks, but it's just one of the disadvantages to OLED technology (that and its a freaking battery hog)

Intillex

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't noticed this at all... Until you mentioned it.......... I'm assuming this would be the same for anyone that's had the phone a while (got mine on launch day). My screen burn-in is the status bar across the top of the screen. You can see in landscape mode there's a slight bluish tint the exact size and shape of the status bar. Obviously running vertically when in landscape along the left side of the screen.

There's an application in the market called "Screen test," you can use it to find dead, stuck on/off pixels, and evidently burn-in. That application is what seems to show it the easiest (as it hides the status bar.)

Being a technician for Hewlett Packard I'm familiar with pixel issues as well as (in extreme cases) burn-in on our notebook screens. Generally you can use a "pixel fixer" application to fix these issues 75+ % of the time. Essentially what they do is cycle the different color pixels on/off at a very high refresh rate and especially for stuck pixels they are extremely effective considering its such an easy fix. Usually in more severe cases its recommended to let it run over night.

Whether this applies to an AMOLED screen on a mobile device? I have no idea. I don't even know if there's an app for that right now. I'll look into it and reply if I find something, and what sort of results I get.

Intillex

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I applied a little common sense to my issue, it's not burn-in, it's pixels that aren't "broke-in" technically black on an AMOLED screen means the pixel is off, so essentially what we're seeing here are pixels that are differing from the other pixels that appear to be "normal" due to under-utilization.

Regardless, good news! I found an application that does exactly what we need called "Dead pixel detect and fix" there's another one in the market that's free, however for various reasons I wouldn't recommend it, it looks to be more geared towards someone who's got a single stuck pixel. Anyhow, I'm going to let this run overnight and see how it works for me. I'd also like to see if OP can give it a shot as well, sounds like his might be more severe than mine, and let me know if it works out for you. Good luck folks!

PS. Make sure your your brightness is max before running the application.

Last edited:

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I applied a little common sense to my issue, it's not burn-in, it's pixels that aren't "broke-in" technically black on an AMOLED screen means the pixel is off, so essentially what we're seeing here are pixels that are differing from the other pixels that appear to be "normal" due to under-utilization.

Regardless, good news! I found an application that does exactly what we need called "Dead pixel detect and fix" there's another one in the market that's free, however for various reasons I wouldn't recommend it, it looks to be more geared towards someone who's got a single stuck pixel. Anyhow, I'm going to let this run overnight and see how it works for me. I'd also like to see if OP can give it a shot as well, sounds like his might be more severe than mine, and let me know if it works out for you. Good luck folks!

PS. Make sure your your brightness is max before running the application.

Well I ran the app for about an hour, but it didn't seem to make a difference, maybe even made the burn in easier to read! xD. Let me know how it works out for you, maybe running it for a whole night works. I wish I knew about the risk of burn in as I wouldn't have kept the screen on for a long time.

Intillex

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually I ran it for about two hours after my last post, in my situation it seems to have gotten it to the point that I ALMOST can't see it. But, one thing to consider is you and I have identically opposite problems. You've got pixels burned in from displaying a static image, I've got pixels that aren't "evolving" at the same rate as yours. However, I'd be willing to bet that anyone's that's used their phones for any real period of time on the stock theme. Anyone mind looking into that for me please?

method526

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
i wonder what samsung/verizon are gonna do about this problem? makes me want to stay away from OLED screens...which a lot of phones are starting to have.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I turn my phone right from time to time so that the buttons cycle to the top, I also hide my notification bar but top.

You could turn your phone around every now and then in the car if you have it on constantly.

Also having a live wallpaper helps.

Intillex

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
if you leave your screen on long enough to incur burn in, you deserve it. it doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Re-read the thread before you start trolling. The issue I was dealing with had nothing to do with burn in, but natural pixel degradation (and lack thereof) that will happen to any phone if used at all. Shame on the OP for using and enjoying his phone! That's like saying if you drive your car long enough you get into an accident you didn't see coming you deserve it.

On a side note, arguably the worst trolling attempt I've ever witnessed on any forum. At least put a little thought behind it next time, so the android community gets a laugh. You've succeeded in showing us all you've got the IQ of a box turtle. Congratulations! :)

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
if you leave your screen on long enough to incur burn in, you deserve it. it doesn't take a rocket scientist...

I've left the screen on my Droid X for 4-8 hours a day, 5 times a week for 5 months, and never had any burn-in. Either you don't understand the difference between OLED and LCD, or you are trolling. I did not know that OLED screens were more susceptible to burn-in, as no one seemed to mention it anywhere. As I didn't think it would be a problem, I didn't look it up, frankly I wasn't even thinking about it. Saying I deserve the burn-in because I, like many others, use it for music and navigation (and sometimes more) in my car while I drive, is a very ignorant thing to say. I am a courier and I drive 4-8 hours a day. I get constant updates, info about my vehicle, etc on my phone while I am driving, it is a nuisance to have to turn on the screen every time, and is also distracting. I was never informed of the screen being susceptible to burn-in, and while it doesn't take a rocket scientist- wait, even a rocket scientist would have done it if they weren't informed.

Apota

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. The desktop icons are burned into the screen. I never had that problem with my Droid and I would leave it on 30 minutes at a time at full illumination. I guess I can't do that anymore. I've downloaded that fix it app and I'll run it all night. Hopefully it will fix the issue and I won't have to worry about it anymore. I guess if it doesn't fix it I'll have to take the phone back to be replaced. It sucks because I like keeping the phone on all the time at full illumination so I don't have to keep logging in every few minutes to see my emails and text messages, etc. Thanks!

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems that my burn in is slowly fading away. I guess that is good, it isn't as noticeable now. Kinda sucks I can't leave the screen on forever, guess I will just have to tether my Droid X, and use it for my driving aid.

Apota

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Really? What are you doing to make it happen? How badly was it burned in? Mine is burned really badly all the icons, etc. I tried running that software for like 12 hours, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe I got to keep running it 12 hours every night for a week or something? Please give me more information on your results. I was going to give up and try to take the phone back but maybe not now. Thanks!

Well it seems that my burn in is slowly fading away. I guess that is good, it isn't as noticeable now. Kinda sucks I can't leave the screen on forever, guess I will just have to tether my Droid X, and use it for my driving aid.

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Really? What are you doing to make it happen? How badly was it burned in? Mine is burned really badly all the icons, etc. I tried running that software for like 12 hours, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe I got to keep running it 12 hours every night for a week or something? Please give me more information on your results. I was going to give up and try to take the phone back but maybe not now. Thanks!

I just stopped leaving the same image on the screen for more than a few minutes. I've also just been turning off the screen after a few minutes or when I am done. Videos are fine because they are moving images. It has been about two weeks since I stopped leaving the screen on for 4 hours at a time.

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought burn in died with the CRT?

No burn in never died thanks to plasma. I only buy and own plasma TVs and did so with prior knowledge that I had to cautious with them. Without getting too into it , I just prefer the advantages plasma has over LCD than the advantages LCD has over plasma.

I wonder if you can break in amoled like you can plasma so burn in would be little less of an issue. I also know plasma is self healing and unless the image was on there for 10+ hours then it can eventually be wiped clear. A Panasonic rep told me it could even take 2 weeks to go away but 10+ hours would be permanent. Maybe amoled can also heal per say given some time?

I never knew this could be an issue with amoled but I will now just be cautious like I am with my TVs. I also now need to research this tech being TV are soon to be released using it too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress