Two issues I need help with on VZ G Nex

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So I have had the VZ G nex for about a month and a half now and am loving it. However, there are a few issues that have really been bugging me. There are other things such as the music stutter and lack of group MMS but those are known issues that I have seen on this forum before. Any ways to fix the following would be appreciated.

1) Playing music off of the phone while connected as a Media device - I used to use my black berry as a external hard drive basically. If i try to do the same with the G Nex it downloads the mp3 to the computer's cache before playing it. This is rather annoying and leaves broken links to the same file in itunes after the cache is cleared.

2) screen display stays on while charging indefinitely - I would prefer that the screen would turn off after being connected to a charger. Instead the phone stays lit unless you hit the sleep button.

any help?

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
2) screen display stays on while charging indefinitely - I would prefer that the screen would turn off after being connected to a charger. Instead the phone stays lit unless you hit the sleep button.

any help?
Under Settings, Developer Options, make sure that "Stay Awake" is not checked.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
1) Playing music off of the phone while connected as a Media device - I used to use my black berry as a external hard drive basically. If i try to do the same with the G Nex it downloads the mp3 to the computer's cache before playing it. This is rather annoying and leaves broken links to the same file in itunes after the cache is cleared.

Its because the GNex doesn't have USB Mass Storage, so its not being read as a "drive" when you connect to the computer, but rather its connected to just transfer back and forth files. You need to just put the music on the computer... Not sure why you're using your phone as the drive when your computer most definitely has more space.

OR you can just use Google Music and put your music up there and play through the browser if you're that worried about space on your computer.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
<snip> There are other things such as the music stutter <snip>

Play a song (any song) from the music player. While it is playing (be sure you're viewing the actual song playing, not the playlist or album), select the three dot menu, then choose "Sound effects" and then turn the built-in equalizer to ON. I don't know why you can only access it from within a song instead of from the main part of the music player, but whatever. This solution fixed the music stutter for me.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
for music, google and download "android file transfer" this small program will let you upload/download what ever you want :cool:

that seems to be a program for transferring files to a mac computer?

Its because the GNex doesn't have USB Mass Storage, so its not being read as a "drive" when you connect to the computer, but rather its connected to just transfer back and forth files. You need to just put the music on the computer... Not sure why you're using your phone as the drive when your computer most definitely has more space.

OR you can just use Google Music and put your music up there and play through the browser if you're that worried about space on your computer.

I agree this is exactly the problem. I want mass storage.

I have plenty of space on my home computer but I don't want to put a bunch of music on my work computer since it is not my property. I used to be able to plug in my black berry (or iphone) in via usb and listen to the music off of the phone through itunes without having to put the actual files on the computer. With the g nex it saves the file locally before playing it. I also think Google music UI needs some work with file management so I am currently using PowerAmp. I hate how when you click on the artists name on google music it takes you to a list that has a bunch of random files in it and not just songs by that artist based on the id3 tags like itunes or poweramp does.

Play a song (any song) from the music player. While it is playing (be sure you're viewing the actual song playing, not the playlist or album), select the three dot menu, then choose "Sound effects" and then turn the built-in equalizer to ON. I don't know why you can only access it from within a song instead of from the main part of the music player, but whatever. This solution fixed the music stutter for me.

I have already done this and it fixes the problem 95% of the time. It still has occasionally stuttered with the sound FX added

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
that seems to be a program for transferring files to a mac computer?

It is, not sure why he recommended it. It doesn't do anything more than let you drag and drop just like on Windows.

I agree this is exactly the problem. I want mass storage.

I have plenty of space on my home computer but I don't want to put a bunch of music on my work computer since it is not my property. I used to be able to plug in my black berry (or iphone) in via usb and listen to the music off of the phone through itunes without having to put the actual files on the computer. With the g nex it saves the file locally before playing it. I also think Google music UI needs some work with file management so I am currently using PowerAmp. I hate how when you click on the artists name on google music it takes you to a list that has a bunch of random files in it and not just songs by that artist based on the id3 tags like itunes or poweramp does.

You can't always have what you want. Google Music may not be perfect but it 100% solves your problem. It lets you use your entire music library via browser on your work computer without downloading anything.

FWIW I have no problem with bad files or weird things. I've curated mine a bit but I only have maybe 20-30 songs that don't have definitive artists (remixes and things) that show up under "Various Artists", but that's it.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It is, not sure why he recommended it. It doesn't do anything more than let you drag and drop just like on Windows.

You can't always have what you want. Google Music may not be perfect but it 100% solves your problem. It lets you use your entire music library via browser on your work computer without downloading anything.

FWIW I have no problem with bad files or weird things. I've curated mine a bit but I only have maybe 20-30 songs that don't have definitive artists (remixes and things) that show up under "Various Artists", but that's it.

I think the Various artists tip might solve my problem. Would still like to see this fixed in a later version of google music.

I think the whole "work around" mentality is what hurts Android in my opinion. That is the one thing apple has right. People just want things that work right out of the box. I love me G nex but wish I didn't have to alter the way I want to communicate or store, manage and enjoy media on my mobile device because the default applications have design flaws. It is embarrassing that BB does things like group messaging, ID3 tags and mass storage correct and ICS falls short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2